Please need some info/Advice

OrangeBlk08Busa

Registered
Doin some R&D $$$ on all motor and turbo and need your advice...and hopefully i'll know what direction i will be going.

option 1
All Motor Block ...... APE exchange package...1441cc
On this exchange package.....are the pistons and rings usually pre-fit'd sized for each dedicated cylinder?

option 2
Turbo route .........Stock Bore JE's 8.5 + spacer.080 and 1 gasket.090

08 busa with 0 miles on tach.....But,started twice at garage and of course factory run.
Can i fit stock bore Turbo JE's into....... my stock block with no honing since block is still New and rings not broken in yet ? .....or would i still need to hone/clean up bore?

What would be best ring end gap for both 1441 na and stock bore turbo pistons?

Thanks

GOOD LUCK TO YA! LET US KNOW WHAT EVER YOU PICK
lol1.gif

I would bet these motors are "run in" at the factory... I would call the guys over at APE and ask them first hand..

2nd PM no reply yet,week-end i guess.... I'll let you guys Know.

Very curios about block exchange and 1441 piston set-up...are pistons already size'd, measured and Number'd to fit their dedicated bores?

Just sent e-mail and will give'm a call tomorrow...just curious  and thought i could get by just dropping slugs in without any major hassles.
i'll post answer
With the running time you posted , there will be no problem using the aftermaket ring set in your block . You will need to verify the ring gaps on install and make adjustments if needed .

BTW ,each piston you have spoke about uses a stark different ring pack .

Decide exactly what your building and the intended application and I'll entertain giving you some gaps that I know work .

Are you worried about having to file fit the rings or the running clearance of the piston ? I ask cause it seems this engine is going turbo or naturally aspirated 1441 based on that alone ,in the first post anyway .

the upside is most ring makers are pretty good about having rings sized correctly out of the box...

Yeah! Sorry for all the confusion.

Don't Know yet which route I'll be going with and asking questions to better equip myself for either build.

Have a pocket full of money and if your anything like me you'll understand ...it wont be there for long and trying to get....while the gett'n is good or before the wife finds out.

I know that ring clearances are crucial and totally different for all Motor and turbo applications. When i do come to a decision i would greatly appreciate any and all help to ease install.

Well , you got the bucks and the desire .

Two things the 1st Generation Busa always needed was compression and a good camset .

Now, it has the compression and a fair exhaust cam so the thought of some portwork , a better inlet cam and a set of nice valve springs sure has some merit for a lower cost build to get it moving .

I don't know where you live or how this thing will get used but if it's just a weekend hotrod thats never going to get caught in traffic , the 4mm JE's with Crower rods, a Vance & Hines big valve head and correct cam choice with a 40hp dry shot will get it moving if you rev it up .

Stick with the stock intake valve size for the 3mm piston and with that , stock rods will work . I mentioned the Crowers because the +4 JE's may not be available for the 2008 yet . Also the +3 would be better suited if the bike will get used in traffic .

If you want an all out hotrod just remember , if you cam it like a hotrod 1000 GSXR as has been the trend for a few years , it will only run with one out on the road , in the real world outside the dyno room
muscle.gif

BTW , the std bore 1st gen Busa's top ring gap was a little over .020 . Thats one of the reasons boosted engines got by with the OEM ART pistons and Japanese ring set.

STD bore drop in's like the Wiseco and their XG ring pack usually run .009 to .010 out of the box . I kinda think the ring ends would butt with 30lbs boost at those settings .

The XC ring pack that come with the +3mm is whole other story on the second ring . The second ring gap is quite large out of the box and they have their reasons for it in which I don't quite agree but , a shelf piston is a shelf piston , correct  
tounge.gif

All the +2mm " 1363 " uses XG ring packs except the Ross pistons .

MountainMotor, Thanks for all the Info.

This Turbo build thing has a mind of its own...and can go in so many directions.
Got to set a plan and stick to it ,with Budget/funds being the limiting factor.

So my wife walks into garage and see's
wowold.gif
me in the process of tearing apart a perfectly New Bike and says I've lost it.

Which starts me thinking how far do i want to take this trip....
decision,decisions....this is the Plan Streetable with occasional weekend runs at strip.

JE's 8.5 stockbore spacer+gasket.090
Cometic Head gasket or 3 steel Stock...? Not sure yet
Ape Head studs/nuts
Ape adj.Cam gear/intake
Carpenter SS valves and daul springs install'd(Carpenter is @30 min away)
Stage 1 RCC turbo w/BOV upgrade 8#spring
MPS 62 lb injetors (primaries)
APE Super HD clutch springs/Billet sprocket cover
2"billet oil pan
High volume oil pump gear.

.... Streetable bike with occasional weekend runs at strip?

Back