Right hand drive.....

Bumblebee

Donating Member
Registered
Here in North America and many parts of Europe all drive on the left (as we know)....

In the days of horse drawn wagons, they were controlled on the right (where the brake was located)......I find it interesting that we went on to drive our cars on the left even though the first "cars" were controlled on the right.....

I'm surprised that we in Canada drive on the left as we were/are part of the British Commonwealth at the invent of automobiles.....

I think I'de have a hard time with that.
I've driven a right hand drive Jeep(here in the U.S.), and it was fun, just because it was different.
But, staying on the opposite side of the road is what I'de struggle with, I'de use up too much brain power just trying to remember where I'm supposed to be...
lmao

I think I'de have a hard time with that.
I've driven a right hand drive Jeep(here in the U.S.), and it was fun, just because it was different.
But, staying on the opposite side of the road is what I'de struggle with, I'de use up too much brain power just trying to remember where I'm supposed to be...
lmao
It's surprisingly easy to end up on the wrong side of the road....

We had left drive vehicles in Cyprus which is a right drive country....sometimes our guys would come out of a round 'a' bout on the wrong side of the road....this would raise a few eyebrows....our accident rate for the first month of deployment was very high....

I've been deployed to a few countries where we had right hand drive vehicles and pretty much as soon as you start driving them, the natural instincts take over....the weird thing for me was the shift pattern...I shifted towards my leg rather than away from it like on a left drive vehicle. I even had a Mitsubishi van that had a 5 on the tree....that was unique....with this van you sat just ahead of the engine....I saw a civilian version in an accident one time and everything in front of the engine was gone including the driver seat.....I never drove it after that.

I was more alluding to the fact that North America never adopted right hand drive even though our wagons and stage coaches were all right hand drive before cars came along....

Yeah, it is strange how which side of the road goes which way where came to be.

Have you ever ridden a 70's Sportster...with a right hand foot shifter?
That's fun one, lol

And...check this out...

Screenshot_20240116-190930_Facebook.jpg

Yeah, it is strange how which side of the road goes which way where came to be.

Have you ever ridden a 70's Sportster...with a right hand foot shifter?
That's fun one, lol

And...check this out...

View attachment 1679430
No but I rode my brother's 70's Norton with the right hand gear shifter.....I don't know how many times I hit the rear brake when I was shifting....

Here in North America and many parts of Europe all drive on the left (as we know)....
I drive on the right side of the road, the correct side.

The Uk and others drive on the left, the wrong side.

That said, I drove half my life on the wrong side, and I have to think which side to get into the vehicle, sometimes I open the wrong door.

I drive on the right, the correct side.

The Uk and others drive on the left, the wrong side.

That said, I drove half my life on the wrong side, and I have to think which side to get into the vehicle, sometimes I open the wrong door.
....you might have those reversed...

I sit on the left side of my truck when I drive it and when I was overseas in the UK I sat on the right side of the car when I drove it...

....you might have those reversed...

I sit on the left side of my truck when I drive it and when I was overseas in the UK I sat on the right side of the car when I drove it...
LOL I edited that and added “road”. You were too fast for me.

In the days of horse drawn wagons, they were controlled on the right (where the brake was located)......I find it interesting that we went on to drive our cars on the left even though the first "cars" were controlled on the right.....

I'm surprised that we in Canada drive on the left as we were/are part of the British Commonwealth at the invent of automobiles.....
It is because of Napoleon.
The guy was left handed and ordered change of right side (it was easier for him to use a sword on while riding the horse) in all conquered countries of Europe.
Than this rule was pushed further in colonies.

It is because of Napoleon.
The guy was left handed and ordered change of right side (it was easier for him to use a sword on while riding the horse) in all conquered countries of Europe.
Than this rule was pushed further in colonies.
Interesting...thank you USA!

Why did Canada drive on the left?

About two thirds of the countries in the world drive on the right including the USA, China and Russia. Canada used to drive on the left but changed to the right to make border crossings with the United States of America more manageable.

After gaining independence from England, Canada was anxious to cast off all remaining links with their British colonial past and gradually changed to right-hand driving

Back