Riding with leaking forks

BusaFan00

Registered
First off I did try the search function, secondly the parts are in the mail and should be here this week. So my question is this, what kind of problems might I run into just communting on the bike to school? No big speed, no twisties, nothing crazy till I get these things repaired. And no I don't have the time or equipment to do it myself.

If somebody could let me know what I have to watch out for, btw both sides are leaking enough to leave a drop or two of oil on the ground overnight. Started about a week ago.

Thanks.

My left fork is leaking to but not enough to leave a oil spots, just enough to see the dirt build up. If its leaking that bad you might want to park it because if you get oil on the rear tire it aint gonna be fun.

A drop on the ground seems like alot to me.....IMO, I would get it fixed prior to continuing to use the bike for the commute. Mine was parked about a month until 3 weeks ago with the same problem.

Just my Opinion
DD

It could last a while, it could go next time you ride.  Problem is sometimes when the seals start to go, they just give out all of a sudden.

Way back when, when I rode a Yamaha SecaII 600.  I rode on leaky seals for 3 days, but on the 4th day on the freeway the forks all of a sudden go real slugglish.  I was able to look straight down and saw the right fork tube had gushed out all of its fork oil.  

Luckily for me I was actually riding it to the shop that was going to fix it and just limped it there since I was 1 mile from the shop.

Well that sucks.  Now that it's finally above freezing at night.... guess I'll call the shop tomorrow and get an update.
sad.gif

does anyone make better seals than OEM ?
I have ohlin's internals in my forks and use an ohlin's fork seal. I'm on my 3rd fork seal in 55,000 miles(stock/ohlins/ohlins). The ohlins seal doesn't appear to last any longer than stock, but then again I do trackdays with lots of trailering.

I think fork seals are a consumable just like tires and oil. But I do know if you have the shaft polished everytime you change seals, it will keep knicks in the shaft from tearing up the seals.

If you are leaking that much at a standstill you can bet it will be leaking under way as well. IMHO you will most likely have to worry more about the front brakes than the tires for everyday use. I think you would be amazed at how much oil and grease you actually ride through on a daily basis from other vehicles and it "usually " isn't an issue for most. Get em changed quick man!

I m in the same boat I can see little wee dampness on my forks I have a rear pit stand coming and will try to get the front up 'safely' and forks off soon cause I m going to the dragon next month. First bike a ever had to put seals in but I did wheelie and slam it down last fall hurt my boys on the tank. Still riding it to work but keep a close eye on it.

Yeah parts are gonna be here friday, so I guess I'm out of luck for the week. Already have to squeeze a little bit more than normal to stop. So I guess on the plus side it's a good excuse to upgrade the brakes!

I'd order an extra set of seals now so you have them for next time. Nothing worse than waiting for parts while summer is burning by.

If they are short commutes, you'll be fine. Just make sure to wipe down your fork slider area (pretty much the inner fork tube) before and after each ride.

The biggest danger is getting some oil onto your brake rotors, causing reduced braking ability or even tire traction. I was able to squeek in one track day with leaking forks and didn't have a problem. But days afterwards, I found a big puddle of oil on the ground. I then bought spring compressor tools, seals, and wipers and did the forks myself.

firedevil.gif
Get it sorted, I was riding my wifes XS 750, I knew the seals were leaking, what I didn't know was that they had contamination the front disc, I found out when I wanted to stop, and I was on the back seat of the car in front after going through the rear screen
bowdown.gif

Mick

Back