Fork seals

busabobh

Registered
One of my fork seals is leaking, has anyone used the seal mate? Is it worth a try? As I don’t want to do it myself right now what should be a fair repair price?

The bike was brand new , less than 200 miles the first time, and that one is not the one that is leaking. I would do both this time. Seems funny it started leaking for no reason, age? Mileage?

The bike was brand new , less than 200 miles the first time, and that one is not the one that is leaking. I would do both this time. Seems funny it started leaking for no reason, age? Mileage?

On all three of my Busas(past and present)I've had leaking fork seals within the first 10,000 miles(no wheelies,etc.),only conclusion I can come to is possibly my weight on stock springs over the years(210-260 lbs.).Last time I had them done on my 2011 a couple years ago was around $310(SoCal,where everything costs more).

I just did seals @ 30,000 miles. They were not leaking either side. My fork oil was pretty darn clean also.
It must be weight related with Jeff, and others because I ride a lot of wheelies.
I m light, and so is my bird.
A oem seal is a great design. It has a doubled inner seal. Does your stanchion coating appear worn?

if you can figure out which part of the actual tube leaking first run your finger very lightly and see if you can feel a bump or tiny bit of the male tube catching your finger It takes surprisingly little to to tear a seal. Sometimes road grit will ding the fork causing damage to a fork and cause a tear in the seal With tremendous care you can use emery paper to try to file it smooth The idea of replacing valves and springs is a good one too. Old school I know but it has worked for me

The coating looks good. Don’t see or feel anything on tube , unless it’s up inside. Thanks for all the info

if you can figure out which part of the actual tube leaking first run your finger very lightly and see if you can feel a bump or tiny bit of the male tube catching your finger It takes surprisingly little to to tear a seal. Sometimes road grit will ding the fork causing damage to a fork and cause a tear in the seal With tremendous care you can use emery paper to try to file it smooth The idea of replacing valves and springs is a good one too. Old school I know but it has worked for me
We can't do the old school way on the coated forks :( works great on Zrx and similar bikes, but the anti friction coating would be ruined.

Well I put it in the shop, I’ll post the results.
Yes OEM seal only! No joke bought SKF brand thought I would throw $ at it found something better even a few had posted to only us OEM; I should have listened. The diameters/fitment was lose tolerances are poor at best even compared to the old used OEM never AGAIN. Make sure they use OEM parts when you have it worked on. I see myself doing fork seals again in the near future.

Yes OEM seal only! No joke bought SKF brand thought I would throw $ at it found something better even a few had posted to only us OEM; I should have listened. The diameters/fitment was lose tolerances are poor at best even compared to the old used OEM never AGAIN. Make sure they use OEM parts when you have it worked on. I see myself doing fork seals again in the near future.
Very true, some workshops, even Suzuki dealers will fit aftermarket seals if they do not have OEM seals in stock, just to get the job out the door same day.

Looking back , should have done it myself, but I was going on vacation to see my son in Portland Oregon and wanted it done when I got back.

Back