riding shoes...

card16969

Registered
So i am looking for a set of riding shoes that have some decent protection but are comfortable to walk around in.. i know they dont go hand in hand usually but when im out riding im usually out doing other things and are in them for 8+ hours at a time. Im a big boy and after years of playing football i have massive calves so me and boots do not work and i wear a size 13-13 1/2. Im looking to keep it around $100 as these will probably be replaced yearly as i am really rough on shoes. Does anybody have any suggestions?

you should really find some boots. god forbid you go down, but if you do your ankles are slide points!

They do look a lot like the Dohas and quite a bit cheaper. I know nothing about the TCX brand but I would highly recommend the Doha and I would buy another pair if I needed to replace the ones that I have.

They do look a lot like the Dohas and quite a bit cheaper. I know nothing about the TCX brand but I would highly recommend the Doha and I would buy another pair if I needed to replace the ones that I have.

after reading the reviews on the tcx they lack alot in several departments ... i hate being on a budget as i have 1900 going out for bike parts in the next 2 weeks and then drive to indiana for a tune lol

So i am looking for a set of riding shoes that have some decent protection but are comfortable to walk around in.. i know they dont go hand in hand usually but when im out riding im usually out doing other things and are in them for 8+ hours at a time. Im a big boy and after years of playing football i have massive calves so me and boots do not work and i wear a size 13-13 1/2. Im looking to keep it around $100 as these will probably be replaced yearly as i am really rough on shoes. Does anybody have any suggestions?

I have a pair of Vega Matrix Boots that were $79. They are still going but I beat them up pretty after a year of riding. They are under $100 and I did not expect them to last that long. They were good for the money paid for them. I wear a size 13 in Nike with a really wide foot and big lower legs like you. I am 6'3" and about 260.

If I would buy boots under $100 I would get the Vega Merge Boots. They look to provide more protection and there are many review comments on them.
2009_Vega_Merge_Boot_Black.jpg

Personally I wanted more protection so I just bought some size EUR 48(13.5 USA) Sidi Apex boot and really like them.

My buddy has a pair of icons, not sure on the model but they are pretty simple looking (he works in a office that likes decent shoes, clothes etc) and can pass em off no problem, i usually wear boots since most of the time im in work boots anyway and i tried his on and they were ridiculously comfortable, i could see myself wearing em around all day no problem.

Think he said they were right around $100 bucks

i picked up a pair of Shift at cycle gear on sale for just over 60 bucks. theyre pretty comfy and provide some anke protection as well

i picked up a pair of Shift at cycle gear on sale for just over 60 bucks. theyre pretty comfy and provide some anke protection as well[/http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/36/13094/ITEM/Shift-Racing-Fuel-Street-Shoes.aspx?SiteID=CSE_Gbase_172420&WT.mc_ID=80003&zmam=88421133&zmas=1&zmac=45&zmap=172420

are these the ones you are talking about? if so it just looks like they have extra padding in the ankle as protection ... whats the sole like and the shift pad area?

I have a pair of Vega Matrix Boots that were $79. They are still going but I beat them up pretty after a year of riding. They are under $100 and I did not expect them to last that long. They were good for the money paid for them. I wear a size 13 in Nike with a really wide foot and big lower legs like you. I am 6'3" and about 260.

If I would buy boots under $100 I would get the Vega Merge Boots. They look to provide more protection and there are many review comments on them.
2009_Vega_Merge_Boot_Black.jpg

Personally I wanted more protection so I just bought some size EUR 48(13.5 USA) Sidi Apex boot and really like them.

i read that these were a pain to lace up and they didnt have any heel protection... any comments on that?

I bought these and lov em. super lightweight and pretty decent protection. and cheap.

2011 Blacktop Riding Shoes Review from SportbikeTrackGear.com - YouTube[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought these and lov em. super lightweight and pretty decent protection. and cheap.

2011 Blacktop Riding Shoes Review from SportbikeTrackGear.com - YouTube[/url]

im going down to their store this week probably since they are only an hour from me and those are on the list to try on.. they dont look like they have alot of protection but maybe thats just look.. also i dont like the reflective piping

Last edited by a moderator:
im going down to their store this week probably since they are only an hour from me and those are on the list to try on.. they dont look like they have alot of protection but maybe thats just look.. also i dont like the reflective piping
yea its definately a trade-off with protection vs. comfort and breathability. u dont really see the reflective stripe with ur pants over them but from the side at nite they are quite visible so u dont get tboned.

but yea I hear ya on the stripe, it just looks odd. once u have em on u only notice how lightweight and comfortable they are. my feat sweat really bad and thats annoying to me. they have more protection then u think but obviously not as much protection as some others out there but the more protection u have the less breathable and comfortable they usually are.

if ur that close then yea definately go try a few on. that would be ur best bet. wasnt an option for me obviously. post up wat others u liked cause id like to buy a second pair of riding shoes. GL

Back