Riding in the Fog

GoAWOL

Abiit, excessit, evasit
Donating Member
Registered
I've ridden in the fog a couple of times now and I have to say it's not one of my favorite motorcycling activities. What I'd like is to get some 'riding in fog' tips from my fellow ORG members and to share some of my observations to see if there's a better or safer way to approach this weather hazard.

My biggest complaint/concern about riding in the fog that I have yet to solve is the misting of my helmet face shield. The mist the fog puts on the face shield is very fine and doesn't roll off like normal rain. I end up having to wipe the mist away with my glove and depending on how thick the fog is...it comes right back to obscure my vision.

Is there any product that helps prevent the 'misting' of the face shield? Keep in mind that the water does not bead up and run off like rain. It does bead up but they are tiny beads and they do not run.

Obviously visibility to other traffic is diminished considerably. One of my strategies was to look for a car to hide behind and stay with it while in the fog. My thought was oncoming traffic as well as traffic from the rear could better see a car with it's lights on than me with my lights on. A drawback here would be the dreaded pile-up but depending on the situation it is a risk I'm willing to assume.

Lastly, if you use your high beam in fog (especially at night) keep in mind that this may hamper your visibility even more. The light reflects off of the water droplets in the fog and the glare is worse with the more light used.

Any additional comments/feedback would be appreciated.

I have the same problems, haven't found a good solution for them. Hopefully someone will chime in with one.

there was this stuff that i saw at the international motorcycle show that was called zookie. The antifog stuff they put on my eyeglasses as a demo for me worked great. They applied it to one lens and then put that lens over a vaporizer and the steam didnt fog up my lens at all. The other lens untreated of course fogged up real quick. I didnt buy any at the show cause i didnt have the money and i figured they had a website. I have not found anything yet with a yahoo or google search unfortunatly. I'm going to look and see if i have a card or something i may have gotten from them at the show.

lurk.gif

I've had good luck with Rain-X. A good coat of that and if you have any airflow at all over your helmet even mist will slide right off. Inside of the shield is a different story, I've never had much luck with anything there. Usually flip the shield up a little and it clears pretty quick.
Tom

didnt find a card and searched the net for a website and came up with nothin... unfortunat cause i was gonna buy there stuff after seeing it work... oh well...

I keep a microfiber cloth between the tank and my gut when riding in fog.  Just grab and wipe as needed.  I once rode in it so thick that I just kept the cloth in my clutch hand for even easier access.  The one I carry is only about half the size of a detailing cloth so it's not too bulky.

when it gets that bad I just plain find a spot to get off the road.. I worry about getting clobbered from behind or running up on someone due to diminished visibility.. Just find no reason to push my luck that hard considering the disadvantage we are at already on a high powered bike.. rather lose and hour or 2 than my life I guess

fsusux - Thanks, that's a great idea. I've also managed to locate some gloves with a built-in wiper just for this type of scenario.

Mr. B - I'm with you if these fog rides were recreational but in this case I was on my way to work. Just trying to get some input on fog driving when required. Unfortunately on my commute to work I drive across an army post where there are no pull over spots.

just keep ride'n. wipe and go. I have the same problems. if your shield gets to bad just flip it up and ride like that until the fog thins out. No High Beam. HID's don't help out either. you could pick up a yellow bulb for your high beam.

I've ridden the 25 miles to work in thick fog every morning this week. Some places I couldn't see 50 feet or less. It's around 80 during the day and around 50 in the morning with the moisture coming from the ocean. Should end this weekend with a cold front bringing 60's for the high......really sucks for this time of year!! LOL!
I keep my shield cracked just enough to keep a little air coming in to avoid fogging the inside of the shield. Rain-X couldn't hurt on the outside but I just use my leather gloves and have to keep wiping all the way to work.
As you mentioned, if you can find another vehicle to follow at a safe distance, do it. He will be the one who takes the impact of a vehicle pulling out and if a car is stopped waiting to pull out and sees his lights he will see yours right behind and wait. The only time I may use my brights in the fog is if I am riding alone on the highway and I see a car waiting to pull out I may flash my brights just to make sure they see me.
And as with all motorcycling, expect the unexpected. Be a proactive rider.

there was this stuff that i saw at the international motorcycle show that was called zookie.  The antifog stuff they put on my eyeglasses as a demo for me worked great.  They applied it to one lens and then put that lens over a vaporizer and the steam didnt fog up my lens at all.  The other lens untreated of course fogged up real quick.  I didnt buy any at the show cause i didnt have the money and i figured they had a website.  I have not found anything yet with a yahoo or google search unfortunatly.  I'm going to look and see if i have a card or something i may have gotten from them at the show.
I Tried the www.zooke.com and was not real Impressed. Another said it worked well for them. Regarding Fogging up(from the inside)i have found that the anti fog inner face shields work very well.
thumb_up.gif
roll on, Tug

Rain X on the outside, and Zooke on the inside.
They are both aids to the problem but not total cures!

I rode in fog last fall going to the bash for over 300 miles. Just put it in the hammer lane use the fog line as your guide, Sit up so the wind will blow the condensation off your visor and hammer down.. NO dew rag, NO bright lights, NO problem..

We drive the large car in fog all the time no big deal..

Git er done..
cool.gif

super.gif
AM -->
DR1300R @ Jan. 09 2008 said:
1261742[/ATTACH] AM]
I rode in fog last fall going to the bash for over 300 miles. Just put it in the hammer lane use the fog line as your guide, Sit up so the wind will blow the condensation off your visor and hammer down.. NO dew rag, NO bright lights, NO problem..

We drive the large car in fog all the time no big deal..

Git er done..
cool.gif
Awww lets not forget about the rain? trying to keep up with you was a lot of fun
smile.gif

comparing the "large car" to a bike?
rofl.gif
drivers are all alike...

super.gif

The Rain X sounds like a good idea on the outside of the shield.
For the inside I've used a product called Fog Off. You can buy it (or a similar product) at an ice rink where hockey players use it to keep their clear face shields from fogging up. No matter how hard you breathe on it it won't fog up.

I find zooke works pretty good.

A friend of mine says spit works pretty good, like the scuba divers do.

A lot of veteran riders i've rode with i've always overheard saying they never drive in the fog here in the Central Valley, or at least in fog where you cant see the stop sign ahead of you from a block away. I can see the logic in that. Plus our drivers in CA pretty much suck.

We get this really thick "Tule Fog" in the valley (alot of orchards and farmland around here)usually after it rains where sometimes you cant even see over 15 feet ahead of you and wont clear out til late morning.

The Fresno area really has a big problem with it, they have one or two MAJOR (15+ cars) pile-ups every year on the highway and we get our share here in the Sacramento/San Joaquin County region off of I-5 a few times too.

Back