Riding in KY

bmbusa

Donating Member
Registered
We'll, A friend and myself went to Winchester, Ky. this weekend to ride some twisties, we got there Friday night and checked into the motel. Saturday morning the tempature was 39 degrees F. We took off around 10:30am, and took it easy on Rt. 213 so the tires could warm up. Once we got onto Rt. 52 we started to ride a little more aggressive, Rt 52 was the best road as far as the tight twisties, the bike was handling perfect. The weather was warming up and was perfect riding with full leathers on.
   Lunch time we stopped at a town called Jackson and ate lunch. After lunch, we headed on Rt. 15 and then went south on 467. By this time it was around 1:30pm and the road was ok as far as curves went, but nothing to bragg about. We had about 150 miles clicked off and was about 10 miles away from Hazzard, as I approached a double appex curve there was trunk entrance sign, and I slowed down as a caution for trucks entering and leaving. Once I got closer to the curve, I noticed that there was a lot of dirt on the road and I wasn't to worried about that because I was not going that fast, I went into the curve with no problem, but as I was exiting the appex of the fist curve, my rear tire broke loose, do to the dirt it picked up. I gained control and tried to stand it up and applied very so little of the front brake, just before I applied the front brake, my rear tire broke loose again, I applied the front brake and the front tire washed out and I low sided it and it slid across the pavement into a gravel parking lot wih me behind it.
   I was lucky, because if I kept it up just a little bit longer and it went down, I would of been into a guard rail or a old rusted plow sitting behind the guard rail. The bike only has cosmetic damage to the left side cowling and a little to the front nose. The clutch lever broke and my stater cover scratched up severely causing it to crack and leak oil. The left mirror got some damage along with minor scratches to the left rear turn signal and the left Yosh. can.
   I can say it was a good crash because I came out of it with not even a scratch or a mark, I was wearing my full leathers, and they too, came out with hardly any damage but a few scuffs. The bike can be fixed. Just thought I would share my experience and loss with you all.

Ride safe everyone.

HPIM0332.jpg

HPIM0331.jpg

HPIM0330.jpg

as you said you walked away without a scratch. a few parts and paint and you will be as good as new. i am glad you walked away.

Glad to hear you knew not to ignore the trucks entering road sign! Had you chosen to ignore that, your bike would look MUCH worse. You made a good choice and benefited from it.

Glad your ok.
Yeah, thats a big problem here with so many coal and gravel trucks. Never know when you round a turn if a loose pile will be laying there in your path.

Back