In the grass...

bishop2072

Registered
Here is a story that proves a bad experience can create a good experience later on.

July 30th, 2008, I was riding my '06 Suzuki Katana 600 at night around the lake when I came up too quickly on a curve. I panicked, slammed on the back brakes...and realizing that I wasn't going to stop and with only about 5 feet of pavement left my brain kicked in and I stomped on the front brake (and I realize now that I should have used the front brake first). Once I left the pavement and went into the grass, the motorcycle (both brakes locked) acted like it was on ice. I ended up high siding it, slammed my head, and woke up about 15 minutes later as the ambulance crew was getting me ready to be transported. The bike was a total loss, but I had no significant injuries minus a big bruise, a concussion, and very damaged pride (proof that helmet and riding jacket are a must!!).

So what do I do? Heck, buy a 'busa!

This weekend I was riding with some of the guys around town, at night, and come up on yet another (different) curve. I went into the curve too close to the shoulder and realized I couldn't make it. Thoughts of July raced in my mind.

No brakes...I rode off the shoulder, calmly...and rode the grass...just concentrating on keeping the bike up. I did this for about 100 yards in a shallow ditch...slowed enough to safely get back on the road. Luckily it was a straight shot and no culverts or fences in the way...but I was looking out for them...ready to LOW side it if I had to.

The horrible experience of July really helped me this weekend and I feel like I'm a better rider. Even this weekend's experience has helped me understand the dynamics of riding in curves...especially at night...much better.

Moral of the story...if you crash or come close...learn and grow from it!

For those of you who live in Ponca City, you'll recognize this corner I'm sure...

Be safe, everyone!!

Bishop

bike3.jpg

bike8.jpg

Glad you're OK, but it sounds like you repeated the error.

1st age old rule: Better to go in (to a curve) too slow than too fast.

2nd age old rule: Never ride faster than you can see ahead. Remember, if you're riding at a speed that you can't see the point, a safe point, at which you would be able to stop in an emergency, then you're riding too fast.

Best of luck!

I actually went into the second curve mishap much differently than the first. I was simply too near the left shoulder. I was too worried about riders behind me...another learning experience. So...yes, my focus should have been to the front eyeballing where I needed to be. I was mainly trying to point out that when a new situation comes up...try to stay calm and remember previous experiences. I appreciate the advise about the curves, though, my friend!

Most of you already know this, but another point I was trying to make is that once the streetbike is on grass, it's not really a bike anymore. Everything you know about riding on pavement is thrown out once you leave it. I think that was my biggest surprise during my July wreck. Once I hit the grass...it seemed like the bike actually sped up. Dirt bike riding doesn't prepare you for handling a heavy street bike off-road even if you think it does. All that matters is that old law...an object in motion tends to stay in motion...until it hits a fence or a big rock or a tree.

ok, my turn to get beat up... (and I wont even comment on the locking the "rear" brake part)

it sounds like you could use a MSF course and some help on the bike.. I know from experience that these bikes will do substantially more than most riders think.. I would bet there are only about 1% of the current riders that can explore some of these limits..

I can not even count the number of people I have met at Busa Bash that after one day, are in complete amazement at what these bikes can do.. (and how fast they can get you in big trouble) Almost without fail by the end of the 3rd day, they feel their riding skills have improved by 100's of times... (and they are probably right)

Confidence in the machine in a bad situation is pretty important (commit to the turn and go for it when in trouble) After two high speed runoffs... I would be asking myself if I am even in the right sport... (learning from the bad experience)

Get a class, get a track day but do something before you try to dodge the 3rd bullet..

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice...I do plan on taking a MSF course as soon as possible. The first "ride off" was due to not respecting the bike (goofing around)...and I was very fortunate to walk away from it. The second was more inexperience with group riding (hugging the outside when I should have been in a much different part of the road). I agree...a MSF course is a must. I definitely don't want to stop riding or...find myself in another ditch.

Thanks for the advice...I do plan on taking a MSF course as soon as possible. The first "ride off" was due to not respecting the bike (goofing around)...and I was very fortunate to walk away from it. The second was more inexperience with group riding (hugging the outside when I should have been in a much different part of the road). I agree...a MSF course is a must. I definitely don't want to stop riding or...find myself in another ditch.
:thumbsup:

I have always thought that unless you are really flying its better to try and make the turn then brake in the middle of it. Think of it this way, lets say you go into a known 30 mph turn doing 25. Your not going way too fast to make it so lean and trust the bike.
In either case it looks like what you did was panic and try and stop for a turn rather then slow a bit and commit to the turn.

MSF and trusting your bike even when you aren't 100% will go a long way.

I have always thought that unless you are really flying its better to try and make the turn then brake in the middle of it. Think of it this way, lets say you go into a known 30 mph turn doing 25. Your not going way too fast to make it so lean and trust the bike.
In either case it looks like what you did was panic and try and stop for a turn rather then slow a bit and commit to the turn.

MSF and trusting your bike even when you aren't 100% will go a long way.

Very good advice there, stay commited and go ahead and lean, i would think would be better, and probably safer in most cases. Been to ponca city several times to race at the NMA nationals, i love that town but it seemed like the locals never did care much for all of us racers coming in town.

I'll start with the first point you are making: Stay calm. When I teach riders, I always point out that when the mind is in a state of panic, the intelligent decision-making center of the mind shuts down and it becomes nearly impossible to do the RIGHT or even the BEST thing when a situation arises. It's just human nature.

However, it can be trained out of you. You can learn to stay calm. You got lucky surviving the first mishap and now, you can apply a greater calmness with your decision-making faculties intact the next time a situation arises thus, improving your chances of survival.

Best place to improve those skills is on the track. Definitely take the MSF course, but get on a track and have some experienced riders coach you on basic (and advanced) bike handling techniques and skills. You'll always be glad you did. That turn in your picture does not appear to be exceptionally challenging though I'll be the first to say that pictures in 2D can be deceiving. Seems that if you're going toward the turn, it is a decreasing radius turn and those can bite you in the butt VERY quickly! :D

You'll get there. It's just a matter of putting in the time in the saddle!

:D

--Wag--

I actually went into the second curve mishap much differently than the first. I was simply too near the left shoulder. I was too worried about riders behind me...another learning experience. So...yes, my focus should have been to the front eyeballing where I needed to be. I was mainly trying to point out that when a new situation comes up...try to stay calm and remember previous experiences. I appreciate the advise about the curves, though, my friend!

That road looks like two way traffic so I can only wonder why you were hugging the left shoulder on a curve??? Be safe out there.

Next time you get a chance check out some motorcycle racing, think if those bikes can BOMB through the turns you should be able to roll through 5mph faster then your comfort level .

And I missed the hugging the left bit ???:poke: umm, don't do that bud!

I actually meant the "right" shoulder. Maybe that's my problem...I don't know my left from my right. Up is down, hot is cold...work is boring. Oh, wait...that last one is true.

Back