riding gear

dudewizr

Registered
With all the latest posts and links to Riders Down it makes me question how reliable is my gear. First off I don't have full leather. I currently ride with (helmet is a given) Joe Rocket Alter Ego jacket and Icon field armor leg protection. My question is "has anyone ever seen how effective the Icon gear is?" I hope the answer is no but have you seen or heard of anyone else going down with it? It feels very stable and hard as rock, it would have to have better impact resistance than leather but I wonder if will stay in place. It sure does fit snug as a bug in a rug but speed does funny things. thinking about getting a set for my wife and just curious.

Most fabric/textile jackets are good for one crash then you need to replace them. Leather is much more resilient and should survive several falls (speaking from personal experience here
smile.gif
)

Well I ride with everything Icon except for my Jacket cuz Icon does not cater to the fatboys very well. But I have been down in an Icon helmet on an interstate crash at 85 mph and totaled a Busa. I can say the helmet producted my coconut extremely well. I would not be typing this today without that helmet and thats a fact. I don't use any riding pants or armor I just do the jeans thing cuz thats good enough for me. I know the consequences of the fall. Icon gloves are really well protecting to. The super duty is what I use and the super duty boots. They held up really well to. Icon is top notch gear man. Don't listen to anyone that says shid about it cuz it's cheap. I don't care that I didn't pay 500$ for a helmet because I have first hand experience with Icon in a serious crash so I know that it holds up. Some people think if you are paying high dollar you are getting the best. I think thats just dumb. I will back everything Icon has. Just wish they would get some BIG jackets. I tried a Tarmac jacket 4xl and it fit my 190 lb cousin. I was like WTF. But anyways Icon is good. Ride with anything they have that you like. +1 for BB69

I have icon tipants (textile), icon leather jacket (bling), and hooligan gloves-- all are exceptional and have 100% of my trust.

I have mostly Icon gear, not crazy about the fit of the mainframe helmet but quality is good. Last year I bought some Icon Recon riding jeans for when it gets really hot, I like them except for the smell, like newly laid asphalt and it hasn't washed out yet. Fit and style is great. For the street, it's all textile....track days, break out the old stinkin' leather. Thankfully, I can't report on the crash durability of any street gear but the recon jeans did great when I fell over in my driveway.....
all_coholic.gif

I got the Icon motorhead leather perf jacket and the thing is awesome. I've got Icon gloves and fit and comfort is perfect.

motoport kevlar for me. Best stuff i have ever had by a whole lot. Plus its custom made you have to send your measurments

Well I ride with everything Icon except for my Jacket cuz Icon does not cater to the fatboys very well. But I have been down in an Icon helmet on an interstate crash at 85 mph and totaled a Busa. I can say the helmet producted my coconut extremely well. I would not be typing this today without that helmet and thats a fact. I don't use any riding pants or armor I just do the jeans thing cuz thats good enough for me. I know the consequences of the fall. Icon gloves are really well protecting to. The super duty is what I use and the super duty boots. They held up really well to. Icon is top notch gear man. Don't listen to anyone that says shid about it cuz it's cheap. I don't care that I didn't pay 500$ for a helmet because I have first hand experience with Icon in a serious crash so I know that it holds up. Some people think if you are paying high dollar you are getting the best. I think thats just dumb. I will back everything Icon has. Just wish they would get some BIG jackets. I tried a Tarmac jacket 4xl and it fit my 190 lb cousin. I was like WTF. But anyways Icon is good. Ride with anything they have that you like. +1 for BB69

You've had one getoff. That's hardly enough experience to support statements such as this.

I get to witness a half dozen getoffs on any given day sometimes more and I can tell you from witnessing hundreds of crash results, there is a definate difference in crash protection and yes, it does usually fall along the lines of price. The cheap stuff is the most likely to seperate at the seams. Cheap gloves are notorous for poor crash results. More importantly than cost is proper fit for helmets.

Just so you know, Icon and Fieldshear is not at the top of the heap!

However, any protective gear no matter how ineffecient or inexpensive is better than nothing. So wear your gear everytime you ride because you don't get to choose when you crash and it usually comes when you least expect it.

i just bought an awesome rs taichi 826 jacket. its heavily perfed and the cost wasnt bad at 449. quality is good and fit is perfect for me. i run a shark rsr2 helmet and held gauntlets. working on boots and riding pants

Back