Icon TiMax Mesh Jacket, Gauntlet Gloves

T5eater

Registered
Reading about the guy on the ZRX forums has made me really rethink my use (or lack thereof) of gear. I always wear my helmet (wherever I go), but it's hot enough here in Texas that I don't ever wear my Joe Rocket Textile jacket (It's vented but not enough, especially since it is black). I have started wearing my Joe Rocket gloves more and more, but question their protection. Also due to the thread on the ZRX forum, I am much more concerned about being seen by all of the other idiots on the road. I don't want to get hit because I "blended in" with the surroundings and was not seen, thus I want to buy bright colored gear. All this being said, now to my question. Does anyone have any experience with the Icon TiMax Mesh Jacket (especially those living in warmer climates)? Any experiences with the TiMax Guantlet Gloves? My concerns are that they not only be protective, but be comfortable and cool so that I will wear them. If I the gear causes me discomfort or I sweat profusely when wearing it, I am going to be much more likely to end up back where I am now (only wearing a helmet) and minus a few hundred dollars.

Also, does anyone have any experience with the Icon Motorhead leather jacket? How is it on comfort? Keeping cool in warm weather?

Any input is appreciated.

Perforated leather is real solid protection, Any of the mesh gear is just better than a t-shirt but still a little questionable IMO, Timax gloves are good stuff but yeah they are going to be warm (Get used to it), not trying to be a dickweed but the gloves will go a long ways in keeping your digits intact so screw the sweaty hands... Also, don't forget some real foot/ankle protection... Proper riding boots are a real good idea as your sneekers or combat boots are missing the vital padding in the ankle area, ankles are a beeyotch...

Also, if you want to be seen, get the brightest damn helmet you can find... That bright red or multi-colored ball whistling along gets noticed...
Also Underarmor HEAT gear (Not Loose Gear, yeah I'm talking the spandex kinda stuff), works really well under your armored leather at keeping you cool and dry... I recommend it, it's good stuff... Very comfortable...

I've got the gaunlet TiMax gloves....they can be warm but not uncomfortably so. I wear them every single time I ride, even on days above 90deg and haven't ever fealt uncomfortable in them....

Ditto to Rev on the underarmour gear as well...huge difference, you won't believe it. Well worth the price.

My riding buddies constantly make fun of me for wearing all my gear when we're out, especially when it's hot and I'm sweating my balls off in my non-vented Joe Rocket pants. Every time I ask them whether I would look like a bigger retard sweating in pants or sitting in the hospital while my pants are hanging in the closet. I'll take a little sweat any day....

Gear up, you don't get to pick the time you need it.

I have the Joe Rocket Phoenix Jacket, pants and gloves. Not as much protection as leather but better than nothing. I never ride without gear anymore. I have seen too many riders go down wearing shorts and t-shirts...road rash and skin grafts are no fun.

I have the FirstGear MeshTex2 jacket and pants with a set of TourMaster gloves. The FirstGear jacket has comes with a removable liner which can will be helpful for that warm Texas climate. Lived there for a long time and know what you are going through. Gear is important, so purchase something that you will wear!

Considering that the dealer threw in the Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket for free when I bought my '04 LE, I don't hold much faith that it's going to do much in the way of protection if I go down.  That being said, I feel your pain from the heat.  Here in Houston, it's already in the 90s and there's little in the way of shade anywhere you go.  Between the heat coming up from the bike and the heat coming down from the sun, you tend to feel like a slice of bacon in the fryer very fast.  I'm going to bite the bullet and buy a mesh Vanson jacket for the summer months and a solid leather one for the winter.  This will be done with the money I had planned to use for a new exhaust, but as somebody said earlier, road rash and skin grafts are no fun.

I've got an Icon TiMax mesh jacket that is literally being delivered via UPS today. After looking around at a lot of mesh, I came to the conclusion that the Icon looked the sturdiest. It's not as "meshy" as the Joe Rocket but it looks better put together. If you get back to me in a week, I'll let you know exactly how it worked out.

I have the TiMax regular jacket(much better than the mesh for protection) and it vents well and I don't get too hot. Of course I have the black one which makes it a little hotter but it is cool when you are moving.

I also crash tested the jacket and it held up great, the reinforced areas were still in perfect shape and the non reinforced areas held up well. The only thing I dont like is that there is no hard armor in the jacket.

I have the TiMax gloves and they are great but they do get sweaty sometimes, not any worse than other gloves I have had though. Like Rev said, just wear the gear no matter what the weather is, you will be glad you did if you ever need it. I always wear my jacket and gloves and helmet, I feel naked without them and not safe at all. Shoot I even tell my Dad that he needs to wear his jacket even though it is too hot out.

I picked up a Teknic mesh jacket on Monday. Took it out for a ride in 90 degree temperature on Tuesday. It is a little warm at full stops, but so is nothing, and it is very comfortable as soon as you start moving. It has armor in the shoulders, back, elbows, and is pretty adjustable for fit.

Might not providethe same protection as leather, but a heck of a lot more than a t shirt!

It is also very comfortable, no flapping and beating at speed, and no more exposed back from the wind vacuum lifting up the back of your shirt.

Try one, any mesh armored jacket will be better than a t, and probably more comfortable.

Back