Votes: 22 16.3%
  • no, i always ride responsibly and wear a flourescent vest for safety

Votes: 6 4.4%
  • yes, i tend to avoid traffic when possible

Votes: 101 74.8%
  • yes, i like bacon

Votes: 6 4.4%

• Total voters
I always try to speed away from cars if at all possible. I try not to ride with cars because I never know when I am on their blindside. I would rather risk it than to be smashed or ran off the road because someone did not see me. :2cents:

i agree, i'd rather get a ticket than hit by some ass in an expedition.

I would say you should not ride until you can ride in traffic. you are going to hurt yourself by trying to avoid the traffic by going fast.

it's not that i CAN'T ride in traffic, but my life in the hands of others makes me nervous.

This thread could go on for all eternity. Do what you must and what the situation calls for to keep yourself safe and rubberized side down.

from the studies i've read, the thing that will most likely kill is traffic crossing in front of me, and me t-boning the vehicle.

traffic moving in the same direction as me accounts for a tiny minority of crashes.

i like having cars and trucks around me. it's my pack and these other vehicles protect me from the real threat of crossing traffic.

even if the car waiting to turn in front of me doesn't see me on my bike, there is a much greater chance they will see the truck right next to me.

i can slow down much faster than a truck or car, so even if the worst happens and the crossing traffic violates my right of way, the car or truck next to me can take the brunt of the crash.

According to Nick Ienatsch's book Sport Riding Techniques (a Bible of motorcycle riding in my lexicon) it is prudent to run in a low gear so that one is able to stay out of the 'death spot' when in a clump of vehicles.
I NEVER ride beside any car and if I have to spike it to get past a string of them, then so be it.

Amen...:laugh:

I didn't vote, as I didn't see an applicable option.

I make it a point to move thru traffic and not remain static and forgotten. Typically this means going with the flow of traffic +5mph or so, just enough so that I am moving thru, and usually not enough to warrant any unwanted attention.

Best bet is to try not to remain static. Now in rush hour stop and go traffic, there's not much you can do. In that situation I typically will leave more room in front of me than normal, so I don't have to jam on the brakes should something unfortunate happen. Last thing I wanna do is get rear-ended or sandwiched.

Most of all, like others have said, you really need to always ride defensive (NOT SCARED) and take each situation and be prepared to react.

:beerchug:

I have been riding a while and found the Interestate (the Superslab) much safer than secondary roads by and large. Around DC there is LOTS of traffic and idiot cagers. Around town when traffic backs up I tend to be extra cautious and slow down...especially around intersections. Darting in and out of traffic infuriates some drivers and will cause them to challenge you or tailgate you to prove "they are right" and "you are wrong". So, in traffic I try not to do anything to provoke people. I'll usually get into the right lane, slow down, and keep some good space between me and the guy in front. I try to avoid any type of aggressive maneuvers, because the cops will see it as speeding or reckless driving and some cagers will see it as "ohh there's another idiot on a donorcycle" and treat you with contempt. That contempt on their part can often manifest itself in the form of aggressive manuevers around you. Some motorists will attempt to chase you. I've had this happen...trust me they will.

Around DC there are a lot of aggressive drivers in quick cars. So when they see a motorcycle they spaz-out and try to pace you, follow you, or act like morons. Unfortunately they are just fast enough that many of them can keep up with you unless you are prepared to click off 150+ to get away from them. Even then traffic will hold you back and allow them to climb right back on you.

I'd say just ride at off-times, get used to it again, be safe, enjoy your bike, and let the scars heal. You'll be okay. Be safe.

Back