Votes: 22 16.3%
  • no, i always ride responsibly and wear a flourescent vest for safety

Votes: 6 4.4%
  • yes, i tend to avoid traffic when possible

Votes: 101 74.8%
  • yes, i like bacon

Votes: 6 4.4%

• Total voters
As long as I'm not surrounded by cages. If I feel it's necessary I will squid out of a bad situation. I don't mind slowing down either. When I'm driving my car or truck I always give the bikes around me an escape route. If a biker is in front of me and indicates a right turn signal, I DON'T go into the left lane and pass if there is a cage behind me. I know I'm not going to rear end them but I don't know about the cage right behind me. I can't believe what I see sometimes while on the road.

hehhh easy boy!

oh i'm cool brother, just sayin' ya know! we see enough of our brothers die on a regular basis for just stupid ****, wether it's there fault or not, and I just don't want to see any more of my brothers; wether I know them or not, end up a splat........PERIOD!

If I can avoid traffic, so much the better, but when I have to travel the highway, I tend to ride a little faster then traffic. I remember being told by a MC instructor, that slowly but steadly moving through traffic is safer then just staying put. Now I wouldn't suggest riding at 90 when traffic is only movint at 65 but about 5 mph faster then traffic I have found usually keeps me moving and I avoid being in anyones blind spot for more then a second or two. As for Leo's, they have pretty much left me alone when traviling just a little faster then traffic, at least so far.

Completely agree with this.

:thumbsup:

--Wag--

I don`t like riding in traffic. I will ride ahead of the pack, of to the rear. Which is not too long.

the best defensive driveing is offensive driveing...

I agree. The point is not to be aggressive but to assertively keep a space cushion between your steed and traffic.

There was a good article in one of the mags from a tester who had an injury and decided to ride slower as a measure of caution. It was a bad experience and the general conclusion was offense is the best defense.

what do you mean semi probably involved? Is that a cheap shot at truckers?

no, i mean highway 99 in cali, 2 in the afternoon, july 3rd. there was a lot of traffic, and the people who responded to the 911 call said it appeared a semi began moving over because they didn't see my father. so yea, maybe some trucker on speed didn't see him. **** happens man, i've moved on, but not without learning a lesson. if you're a trucker, well, i dunno what you could take away from this. YOU didn't run him off the road, but someone did. like i said, **** happens man, sorry if you were offended by what i said.

I stay away from packs of cars. When you get in the middle of a pack of cars that is when you get forgtten about and then run over. Besides in a pack of cars your evasive options are limited at best. Some times nonexistant. I will use the power to dash away or slow down a little to mantain a car free zone of space, but I am at roughly Highway speeds.

I agree better to rider a little faster and make your way thru traffic than to have traffic run up on you. Try to ride in a lane that has the widest shoulder next to you in case a cager comes in your lane. Dont ride to close to the rear of vehicles in case there debris in the road because you can react in time. Don't assume anything watch everyone. Construction areas with 2 lanes and no shoulders and concrete burrriers on each side very dangerous, be ahead , behind, or get off at the next opportunity. Be thinking always.

Best Book on Street Riding

The best book I have found on street riding is "Proficient Motorcycling" by David Hough. Do yourself a big big favor and read this book.

I am fortunate to live in a part of the country where riding in traffic isn't nessessary. Only place where you find somewhat heavy traffic around here is Springfield (pop. 250,000), and I just do not ride the bike into town.. period.
My riding area lies in miles and miles of 2 lane back country blacktop, with an occasional pass through a small town. In the small towns I ride very aware and seldom, to never, have even a close call.
Traffic problems don't apply here, I am truely blessed in my geographic location.:sigh:

It seems like cars always travel in packs...I try to stay ahead of them, or if caught in the middle I drop back so that there's no cagers around me.

On Oahu, I think that they literally do give out licenses in cracker-jack boxes..I get nervous driving with 4 wheels let alone on 2

Lane position, not riding in blind spots, and keeping an eye on other drivers/riders for the unexpected is the key.

Also wear your gear...ATGATT :rulez:

I also like to look over and see what the driving is doing. If they seem more into their phone call or are texting I always put a few buffer cars infront or behind me.

Re: Best Book on Street Riding

The best book I have found on street riding is "Proficient Motorcycling" by David Hough. Do yourself a big big favor and read this book.

I second that. Also get 'More Proficient Motorcycling' while you're at it and 'Ride Hard Ride Smart' by Pat Hahn is also a good read.

Back