• yes, i tend to avoid traffic when possible

Votes: 101 74.8%
  • yes, i like bacon

Votes: 6 4.4%

• Total voters

ogre

Call me Liberace!
Registered
ok, ever since my dad passed away (car accident, semi probably involved), i have a problem riding in traffic. i just won't do it. i get through traffic as fast as possible (avoiding squidlike behavior whenever possible), and put some distance between me and the cars. now from a law enforcement standpoint, are you going to give me a ticket for trying to insure my safety? and for the poll, do you do the same?

Law enforcement will look at it as speeding and that is all. I'll do the same although I may slow down if it seems to be a safer move than speeding up. I hate to ride beside a vehicle on the bike so I will adjust my speed up or down. I never ride beside a semi for fear of a cap coming off a tire. Slowing down may be a better alternative rather than speeding up. That's just my opinion and I'm a safety nut.

the best defensive driveing is offensive driveing...i have said it for years and live it. at all times i will navigate (at any and all passing zones) so i have nobody in front of me, and cars well behind me. i want a clear view in front and pass those behind me so they are "aware" of me.

ok, ever since my dad passed away (car accident, semi probably involved), i have a problem riding in traffic. i just won't do it. i get through traffic as fast as possible (avoiding squidlike behavior whenever possible), and put some distance between me and the cars. now from a law enforcement standpoint, are you going to give me a ticket for trying to insure my safety? and for the poll, do you do the same?

Yep, I do the same thing and try to stick to HOV lanes when possible.

If I can avoid traffic, so much the better, but when I have to travel the highway, I tend to ride a little faster then traffic. I remember being told by a MC instructor, that slowly but steadly moving through traffic is safer then just staying put. Now I wouldn't suggest riding at 90 when traffic is only movint at 65 but about 5 mph faster then traffic I have found usually keeps me moving and I avoid being in anyones blind spot for more then a second or two. As for Leo's, they have pretty much left me alone when traviling just a little faster then traffic, at least so far.

Yes I stay ahead of traffic and try not to linger around with cars all around me. Feel safer going 5-10 faster than going speed limit. But you also gotta watch out for the 4wheelers barreling down esp the big rigs and not get caught in their I brake for nobody path.

As for leo. If your speeding they have the right to ticket you. Most won't unless you doing 10 plus from my exp. Usually they ask why your speeding. In a calm and not telling your life story tell them you feel as if its safer to not linger and just trying to drive defensively.
Posted via Mobile Device

I ride out of traffic also as much as possible. I ride very defensively and do not thing twice about hand gestures or letting someone know how feel.

Just how you have to ride some days seems like...

Pacing traffic is not the best of ideas...I position myself ahead if possible...if not limp at the back of the herd...till there is an opening.

For me the passing lane seems to be the safest. Nobody cutting me off from the left and I almost always have an out to the left as well if traffic stops and I find myself between a trash truck and a skidding dump truck. I like to stay ahead of the groups and not linger in any blind spots. On I 10 when traffic is running the flow of traffic running 90 in the left lane is not uncommon.

alot of u have picked; yes i try to avoid traffic when possible, so u speed like an idiot to hurry up and get out of traffic....hhmmmmmm! splats waiting to happen. i don't like traffic either, but I sure as hell ain't gonna go rippin thru it, cuz it'll be my like, one of those many azz's out there will wip over cuz there in a hurry to get out of traffic too, and splat!!!:poke:

alot of u have picked; yes i try to avoid traffic when possible, so u speed like an idiot to hurry up and get out of traffic....hhmmmmmm! splats waiting to happen. i don't like traffic either, but I sure as hell ain't gonna go rippin thru it, cuz it'll be my like, one of those many azz's out there will wip over cuz there in a hurry to get out of traffic too, and splat!!!:poke:

hehhh easy boy!

i like to be way behind the traffic or way out in front, if i get stuck with no where to go i do my best to get the attention of the vehicle beside me with out just being reckless. some times just a quick rev on the engine will get them to look at me and sometimes it doesnt. either way i dont get comfortable at all. ride like your invisible and it may just keep you alive. so far it has worked for me. :beerchug:

I like to stay ahead of the groups and not linger in any blind spots.

Me too. But I was daydreaming and lingering in the blind spot of a Ford
Excursion and he cut in front too close for comfort. Must be alert always.
lesson learned.

I do it, when it gets too freakin' messy and the sheet metal to asphalt ratio is not in my favor. The 'need for speed' defense has never worked and never will, but who cares. What's a speeding ticket and/or points compared to ummm... well getting scraped off the road and put in little baggies...

the best defensive driveing is offensive driveing...i have said it for years and live it. at all times i will navigate (at any and all passing zones) so i have nobody in front of me, and cars well behind me. i want a clear view in front and pass those behind me so they are "aware" of me.

I too have driven this way for years (in my 4 wheelers) and now that I'm on two wheels about half the time, I find myself behaving similarly. I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing from a safety perspective. I have, however, managed to survive on the the highways in DFW for over 15 years without an accident so I guess it works for me...

You know... speeding up isn't the only way to manage your space. You can also slow down and back out of a pack of cars, or even shift to a lane to the left or right..

I think you're missing a few more options that are appropriate. There is no middle ground in the choices.

Try riding very aware of your own position and surroundings. That will make it much safer to ride than speeding to get away from traffic. Being visible does help, but the safety vests only work if the other drivers are paying attention to the world beyond their windscreen.

Back