Ridin' with Ronin

warbrown

Bald and Busafied
Donating Member
Registered
Today was truly one of those mid-winter gifts from above. Sunny skies, temps breaking 60 in the afternoon, and a Saturday to roll on the Busa. D.J. (Sageronin) and his better half (Jolie) met me at my house around 2PM, and we took off (literally) for an afternoon ride.

www.warrenbrown.com images missing

I say "literally" because we first went down a road near my house that gets the pucker factor going quickly. It is up and down for a couple of miles and has several quick rises with sharp drop-offs on the other side which allow the Busa to literally fly for brief moments with both wheels off of the ground. (Here's a link to a tank cam video I made on this road once)) We were all joking afterwards that these roads out here are much more "3 Dimensional" and challenging to ride than those boring Florida 2D roads without any elevation changes.
poke.gif

Anyway, after changing our shorts we continued our ride through some nice countryside near Harpers Ferry, WV. At one point we pulled over for a few minutes to check out the beauty of an abandoned quarry with its deep blue water and sheer cliff faces. The picture doesn't quite convey the impressive vista or the overall beauty of the area, but that could just be because D.J. is in it.
tounge.gif

While we were stopped, I also took a couple of shots of the bikes parked next to one of the wooden fences surrounding a battlefield from one of the Harpers Ferry battles of the Civil War.

Here's another with the lovely Mrs. Williams:

After our brief stop we continued on into Virginia for a brief stint, then, crossed the Potomac River into Maryland. We drove through some beautiful deeply forested areas as we made our way towards the Sharpsburg / Antietam area. We saw lots of quaint homes, old barns, livestock, and even this picturesque stone bridge:

It is a single lane bridge, so we parked tight against one side for the pictures, with plenty of room to spare, but still one car honked at us because we apparently inconvenienced them somehow. Luckily, we were having too good of a ride to even care or let it bother us.

And yet another:

Before leaving the bridge, I got one last pic D.J. and Jolie which turned out so good I think I'm going to make them buy the negatives.
wink.gif

Finally we made our way into the late afternoon sun and arrived in Sharpsburg, MD where we stopped at a little mom & pop icecream store to relax and chat a bit before heading our separate ways.

The icecream was good, but in hindsight might not have been the best choice before heading into a January ride home at dusk. The temperature dropped dramatically with the absence of the sun, so the ride home was a bit chilly, but even that couldn't put a damper on the day. Thanks D.J. and Jolie for stopping by and making my day. Good times with good company.

Great pics! Thanks for sharing. Looks like it was a little cold but worth it!

No ... thank you Warren for making our day. Awesome first ride for 2006!! I offically earned my "Wings" because we were literally flying down that one road ... both wheels off the ground and the very real chirping as they landed and rubber met the road again ... wow what a rush!! The Busa is a rock solid flying machine ... no problems taking off or landing
smile.gif

Okay, gotta ask.... If it was cold enough to wear those artic snow suits, why did you get ICE CREAM?
rock.gif
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif

Very nice. That pic you mentioned about selling the negatives looks professional.

Nice pics, thanks for sharing your day. Grew up around Parkersburg and sure miss the roads up that way.
I would almost trade my year round riding, for them roads 6 months out of the year.
smile.gif

Okay, gotta ask.... If it was cold enough to wear those artic snow suits, why did you get ICE CREAM?
rock.gif
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif
Because we're stupid.
smile.gif

Actually, for these parts it was a downright balmy day for January. It was only when the sun went down that I realized having just eaten icecream might not have been a good move.

Nice pics, thanks for sharing your day. Grew up around Parkersburg and sure miss the roads up that way.
I would almost trade my year round riding, for them roads 6 months out of the year.
smile.gif
I'm on the other side of the state from Parkersburg, but I've got to agree with you that the roads out this way are hard to beat.

Great pictures, nothing like that out here, just cows, open fields, cows, open fields and straight roads. But
idea.gif
, not many people and high speed limits  
beerchug.gif

I think I remember that ice cream place in some mag with a ride report, said the ice cream was GREAT  
super.gif

Back