Rider position question

We're the same height. Genmar risers helped me quite a bit. That said, learning how to to grip the tank with my legs and support my torso with my back helped much more. Keeping your elbows relaxed and pressure off your wrists is the key.

BTW, thanks for your service to our country!

We're the same height.  Genmar risers helped me quite a bit.  That said, learning how to to grip the tank with my legs and support my torso with my back helped much more.  Keeping your elbows relaxed and pressure off your wrists is the key.

BTW, thanks for your service to our country!
+1

Sorry to hijack, but I have a seperate question about the helibars. Do they change they way the bike handles? I'm thinking that a change in rider position means a change in overall geometry and that will affect the handling characteristics. Si or no?

WElcome back and Thank You for your service to our country!

I had the same problem as you in that my hands, especially my right hand, would go numb after maybe 20 minutes or so. So I went with the Helibars. While they did definately help on the positioning of my body, Im 5'9, 175 BTW, it seemed as though the vibes coming up through the bars got even worse. I think the hollow portions of the bars resonated much more than the solid stockers. I wound up bying some of the liquid bar snake and filling up the hollow parts with it. Its a major PITA but it helped a lot.

The one thing that made the most difference was the way I changed from using my hands to support me to my abs and thighs. Now my hands never get numb, and I can "get in the zone" much more quickly, without having to try and shake the feeling back in my hands. In the end, having the proper stance may be all you need. Try that first before you spend the money on other fixes.

Sorry to hijack, but I have a seperate question about the helibars. Do they change they way the bike handles? I'm thinking that a change in rider position means a change in overall geometry and that will affect the handling characteristics. Si or no?
They didnt change the handling in any way for me, only made it a bit more comfortable.
smile.gif

Welcome back and my thanks to you for your efforts in Iraq.

Had the same problem with both hands going numb. Was from compression of the median nerve at the base of the palm.

Here is what helped me:
-1" reaper risers- cheap AND good looking
-relaxing my grip and lowering the elbows
-Throttlemeister for highway cruising
-Nice pair of gloves with gel padding on the palms- tried 4 different pairs before I found one I liked

Good luck and ride safe.

Helibars not only change riding position, they also almost illiminate vibrations.
Is anyone else noticed that?

Helibars not only change riding position, they also almost illiminate vibrations.
Is anyone else noticed that?
Not for me at all, in fact around 4500-5K, the vibes seemed to be even worse than the stockers at that rpm, hence the use of the liguid bar snake.  After that it settled them down a lot.  I still think most of my problem was my stance, once I figured that out, I harldy notice the vibes now.

<!--EDIT|Skidz
Reason for Edit: None given...|1137779157 -->

Might be a bit off topic but did u see any busas or other new sportbikes while u were in iraq? Ive heard there r some rich iraqis who get em imported straight from japan

Back