Rider Next To You

GSXRFANN

FLUNKIE
Donating Member
Registered
Just curious to see how many of you folks have a wife or girlfriend that rides her own bike. Does it make you nervous when she is riding? I have noticed that when I ride with female riders (no offense here!!), that I get kind of nervous. I mean, it is dangerous enough out there as it is, and I guess I am just afraid I will see one go down and then I would feel all bad and stuff ( I feel bad enough if it is a male rider).
Am I the only one that feels this way? Am I wrong in feeling this way??

I had planned to buy the wife her own bike at the same time I bought the Busa, but she has lost sight in her left eye due to a health problem, so Ohio won't give her a motorcycle endorsement. Point is, she would have rode with me, and actually, I'm not sure how I would have felt, since she passed the state rider training course and I didn't (too many bad habits acquired over the years)
laugh.gif

My wife rides. She took the Rider's Edge class to learn. It's true that I get a little nervous when she rides, but I'd rather ride with her than have her riding alone.

My girlfriend rides with me (cruisers, not sportbikes). I bought her a Suzuki Savage for her birthday and taught her to ride over the summer. She's got a learners permit so she can ride with me but not on her own yet. Unfortunately, she missed the last MSF course for the year due to illness so she's going to have to wait until next year to get in.

Yeah, I get a little nervous when she rides, but she's a very cautious rider and I'm there to help keep things from getting out of hand.

Like I said, this isn't to pick on women or anything. I am just curious. It just seems that for some reason, we worry more about our wives/girlfriends while they are riding. I just kind of start thinking...if she starts to fall, there is nothing I can do!!! You know, that type of stuff!!

Hrmmm, I'm starting to think Mike doesn't care about me...he eggs me on at each light to race...me thinks he's not worrying too much...
laugh.gif
 Well, not enough!

Ahh, I don't want him to anyway...just leave me alone and let me ride!  
tounge.gif

So, Brian...you pick up a wife since we last spoke?  
rock.gif
biggrin.gif

<!--EDIT|VaBusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1131562980 -->

My wife follows me on a Kawi Z750S. Even though my wife has been riding for years, yes it is a bit more nerve racking when she's riding because I find myself looking out for both of us at the same time.

To hopefully lessen the odds of her going down I've tried to at least stack the odds in our favor.

Since most motorcycle accidents happen from the front, I always take the lead so hopefully she'll have time to react if a dumb cager pulls out in front of me. And as you know cagers love to tailgate or run up on the a## of bikes, so I installed Hyper-lights (with flashing option) on the rear of our bikes so they are a bit more visible.

And since we live in amongst a nightmare of traffic, I select backroads and less traveled roads to ride on, and steer clear of Interstates and such.

I'd hate to see her (or myself) go down, but hey, we're all playing the odds, and hoping for the best!

No, Michelle, not yet, but I am still looking!!!! Got any friends???
I told you, marriages falling to pieces all around me...one gal is just watching the calendar for that magical "it's finally officially over" day later this month...

She doesn't ride, but I bet she could be talked in to it...gotta be better than the Harley dude she was stuck with anyway...
laugh.gif

you guys not even realise how lucky you are.
My XGF hate my bikes so much.... I don`t have that GF anymore
smile.gif
Still have my Busa tho...
Back in dating business I guess....
smile.gif

smile.gif

Actually I dont get as nervous as much as I suddenly seem to adobt the protective older brother syndrome particularly in group riding.

Ive seen so many people go down/get hit etc, that I try not to think about it. Just hope I dont kill the "SOB" that broad sides her while around me.

JD

Just curious to see how many of you folks have a wife or girlfriend that rides her own bike. Does it make you nervous when she is riding? I have noticed that when I ride with female riders (no offense here!!), that I get kind of nervous. I mean, it is dangerous enough out there as it is, and I guess I am just afraid I will see one go down and then I would feel all bad and stuff ( I feel bad enough if it is a male rider).
Am I the only one that feels this way? Am I wrong in feeling this way??
My buddy rides a CBR1000RR and his wife rides a raven R6. When we all ride together I don't like it because she gets pissed when we want to ride like we NORMALLY do which means balls to the walls. And she has not even bothered to go get her license yet and has had the bike for a year and a half. She is so scared to turn the bike its ridiculous. To make any kind of turn she wants to slow down to like 15 mph. We have tried explaining to her that they are harder to manuever the slower they get and she still won't fight it. Oh well......he has to ride with her all the time not me. haha

No, Michelle, not yet, but I am still looking!!!! Got any friends???
I told you, marriages falling to pieces all around me...one gal is just watching the calendar for that magical "it's finally officially over" day later this month...

She doesn't ride, but I bet she could be talked in to it...gotta be better than the Harley dude she was stuck with anyway...
laugh.gif
Send me some pics girl!!! And yes,,,,I am better than the Harley guy!!!!

When my wife and I were married I was without a bike for the first time since I was a teen. We had been married a couple of years, and every summer we would be out in the car and someone on a bike would cruise by and I would tell her I'm not going another year without one. Of course she would say sure dear. Well three years ago as soon as the weather warmed up I found myself a the local dealer and I ended up riding my new bike home. When my wife got home from work my new bike was in the driveway. I could see her cold look as she pulled in. After telling her that I hoped she would enjoy riding with me I let the subject drop. We went for a few rides together and she tolerated it for my sake, but I don't think she enjoyed it that much. Low and behold she calls me at work one day and tells me the next door neighbor is selling his bike and she wants it for her. You could have knocked me over with a feather. My wife was 55 years old and not only had never ridden a bike, but had never driven a stick shift. After checking out the bike, it would not work as it was an older Honda and too tall for her. She was very disapointed. So for her birthday I bought her a brand new Honda rebel. She signed right up for the motorcycle training at our local college, and after several days at the local downtown airport on sundays with no or little traffic, I continued her training myself untill the day came that I felt she was ready for the real thing. Now she rides with me whenever we get the chance, and she has rode as far as 100 miles with me on a few trips. It's sooo cool to be able to have her as a riding pal, but to answer your original question, I still worry about her going down. You can reduce the risk by picking your route to less traveled roads, and ride at times when traffic is lite but I will always have some concern, but I feel the same about my son who also has a busa and can ride circles around me!

Man I wish my wife would learn how to ride. She is so scared that she wouldn't even ride with me. She bought the bike for my birthday back in july and she still has not gone for a ride with me. I told her we would just go around the block nice and slow, but she always says no.:(

Maybe with time she will change her mind:blush:

Man i only wish i could get her off the back of my bike!!!!! My newest trick to do that is,,, I just plan long weekends that i know she cant go on!!!!!
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif

tounge.gif

thankfully my wife is still just a passenger on my bike although she has made a couple of comments over the past couple of years about maybe a bike of her own. we are in our 50's and she has never ridden so it would be an ordeal from the get-go.
i was able to buy a little time this summer when she asked if i thought she could handle the 'busa. i said heck yes, and had her get on it and balance it...........even though it's lowered an inch, it was a no-go. she was way too short. whew
her on a bike would make a nervous wreck out of me, as it does when i ride with any of my brothers.

My wife has a tendency to look at the flowers or and I am not kidding front doors... We were in the market for a new front door for our house... and I swear she almost killed us a dozen times checking out front doors on all the houses we would drive by... So no... I would not even consider her riding a bike. If she even brought it up I would raise her life insurance to a gizillion dollars... I would then have to flatten the tires on her ride everyday because the money just wouldn't be worth it.:p

Back