rider killed in Texas

oldbird

Registered
Dont know all the details, but a motorcyclist was following behind a big rig when a spare tire from the truck fell off and hit the rider directly and was killed instently. Dont know what he was riding or any other details. After hearing this I try to pass all trucks even if i have to speed and get a ticket. Just be careful out there.

sad.gif
Yeah I try to steer clear of those guys. Don't spend too much time near them. Sad news.

I was following a rig in heavy traffic a few years ago.We were on the expressway doin about 75.Bumper to bumper traffic[nowhere to go]He blew a tire and i just missed hittin the tire casing by I swear a half an inch.Real close one.Probobly would have got run over if I went down

that sucks, sad to hear.

Also watch out for the pick-ups with stuff in the bed too. All it takes is one of those lawn mowers or surfboards to fly off at ya and you're toast.

Split the traffic if you have to. It's a smaller risk than following them (semis or pick-ups).

Last summer in Kansas City I was following small pickup with huge mattress flapping on the wind... I thought about that and changed line..... 3 minutes later aiborne mattress hit new red convertible... Guy in pickup didn`t even stopped.

<!--EDIT|Vic_E55_2001
Reason for Edit: None given...|1136776251 -->

Real bad news, always hate to hear of a rider goin down. We must always have a plan B and even plan C! Very sad.

Sad to hear! On average, there are 10 motorcyclist killed on America's highways each and every day of the year! Riding motorcycles on our highways is a dangerous business. Just remember, the safer you ride, the better your odds of not becoming a statistic?

What a terrible loss...  
sad.gif

A few years back I was taking a trip up to Wisconsin with my girlfriend and her cousin... We were in a Mustang GT and I was driving... most the time I was cruising around 80 but my foot happened to get a little heavy while passing this semi... i figure I was doing 90 when I passed him.  Just when I got to about the middle of his trailer there was a tremendous thud, like a bomb going off, I glanced in my rear-view and in Matrix slow-motion style I witnessed the tire tread (a monster sized piece) flapping in the air behind me  
wow.gif

Had I been 2 seconds slower... WHAM, that would have surely smoked through the windsheild and killed one of us or both  
down.gif

They should really do something about those truck and trailer tires flying off or even large peices of tire flyin off, all it would take is some sort of cage around the side of the wheel well so at least it prevents the debris from going into the other lane...  
mad.gif

<!--EDIT|Leo
Reason for Edit: None given...|1136845717 -->

This is a very sad story.
Best advice I can give to you all (being a driver of one of those big rigs) is to steer clear of all tractor trailers. Go around as quick as possible and get in front of him where it is safer. This includes any vehicle carrying some type of cargo on the outside. Please be aware of your surroundings.

Peace

Sad to hear...I'm not one to stay anywhere close to a big rig, no matter what vehicle I'm driving.

But, it's sounds like to me this one coould have been avoided. Maybe the driver didn't check his truck before he got on the road. Maybe the straps that hold the tire were old and should have been replaced months ago...they finally gave way.

I had a 4x4 come off a flat bead trailer one morning at 80mph, luckily I was paying attention (after a 12 hr shift that night), and was able to roll it down the right side of the car. Took my mirror off and put some dings and scratches down the side. Better that through the windshield though. The driver never saw it happen, kept right on "truckin"
wink.gif

Stay alert out there !!!

Back