Rider down... and out~

(GIXERHP @ May 17 2007,15:16) Very sad,, and summer really hasen't started yet!
Well?...this happened in florida...it's ALWAYS summer here...and we "always" have riders go down and die year 'round to prove it....he11....june july and aug is our "Off Season"...waaaay too hot to enjoy anything but a quick early morning jaunt...by noon your suffering an cussing all stop lights...ride till 2-3:00pm?..dehydration sets in...then you become delusional and start thinking that riding without gear is a great idea...ride all day till 5:00PM?...and your head turns into a raisen.
laugh.gif

I will say that there is a time and a place for whatever you are doing. If something goes wrong you would hope that death is not the result. It is very sad and a strong price to pay. I wouldn't say he was stupid, but did exercise poor judgment based upon the part of the story that was told. My condolences to his family.

I won't say he is stupid but that is only because I don't know him. His actions from what little info is available don't indicate sound decision making though. And while anyone can go at anytime from a poor decision or faulty judgement on a bike... There is a definite difference between wheelies in the city and Track riding... Even riding the gap. Apples and oranges. condolences again to his family.

My sympathies to his family.

I'm not going to judge, I'm just going to ask everyone to be careful out there and consider the risks.

(jessup @ May 17 2007,22:55) I won't say he is stupid but that is only because I don't know him.  His actions from what little info is available don't indicate sound decision making though.  And while anyone can go at anytime from a poor decision or faulty judgement on a bike... There is a definite difference between wheelies in the city and Track riding... Even riding the gap.  Apples and oranges.  condolences again to his family.
I disagree. A rider death is a rider death. It's only different if a car was at fault. If a rider just misjudges a turn at the gap and dies should we have sympathy for him but not somebody who loses control of a wheelie down main street? Both riders were at fault. And I'm just saying that death was not deserved. We give the death penalty to murderers not somebody who just executed poor judgement or poor skills on a bike.

(DAB @ May 17 2007,22:58) My sympathies to his family.

I'm not going to judge, I'm just going to ask everyone to be careful out there and consider the risks.
Everytime we hop on the busa we should consider the risks. We can die going 25 down main street or even sitting at a traffic light.

But I don't practice what I preach because I just ride and don't think about what can happen... if I did then I'd never ride!!!

(PaNDeM1C @ May 17 2007,21:27)
(DAB @ May 17 2007,22:58) My sympathies to his family.

Everytime we hop on the busa we should consider the risks. We can die going 25 down main street or even sitting at a traffic light.

But I don't practice what I preach because I just ride and don't think about what can happen... if I did then I'd never ride!!!
Maybe I should be more specific. You should consider the risk of some idiot pulling out in front of you etc. and be prepared to take evasive action, practice your emergency stops, wear the right gear, study the road and so on.

Motorcycling is always a risk, but you can minimize some aspects by riding defensively. I'm not saying you can't ride fast, pop wheelies or whatever, just try and make sensible choices about where you do them.

Naturally, I don't expect some of the riders out there to listen to any of this nonsense, 'cause it's not cool. Live hard and die free, right?

Hey PaNDeM1C, you're missing the whole point.

No one is saying he deserved to die, no punishment is being imposed. A lot of us are tired of other riders acting without thinking of others. While we don't feel sorry for the guy that made his own choices we do feel bad for the family and friends he left behind.

The key here is TRY NOT TO ENDANGER OTHER PEOPLE!
Manage the risks you can control.
If you are going to ride in a risky fashion(speed/stunt/dragg'in knee), then control what risk factors you can. Such as;
Less Risky------------------------------------More Risky

Dry road--------------------------------------Wet road
Little to no traffic---------------------------Moderate to congested
Industrial/commercial/residential-------Rural to uninhabited
Day--------------------------------------------Night

Make an intelligent desicion and consider other people and their property. Pick your places to have fun.

A rider that crashes due to his own fault on a back road will get my sympathy because he thought of others before acting.

You might say there is some traffic on the Gap. Well your right. But its a helluva lot less traffic than in the city. Like I said above, try to minimize the risks. You can't eliminate them, there will always be risk.

(PaNDeM1C @ May 18 2007,00:25)
(jessup @ May 17 2007,22:55) I won't say he is stupid but that is only because I don't know him.  His actions from what little info is available don't indicate sound decision making though.  And while anyone can go at anytime from a poor decision or faulty judgement on a bike... There is a definite difference between wheelies in the city and Track riding... Even riding the gap.  Apples and oranges.  condolences again to his family.
I disagree. A rider death is a rider death. It's only different if a car was at fault. If a rider just misjudges a turn at the gap and dies should we have sympathy for him but not somebody who loses control of a wheelie down main street? Both riders were at fault. And I'm just saying that death was not deserved. We give the death penalty to murderers not somebody who just executed poor judgement or poor skills on a bike.

Your opinion and points are truly appreciated...
wink.gif

I do understand your point and realize how hypocritical I may sound~ Do I think this person deserved death for his mistake?... absolutly not~ Yet I do feel this rider would be here today had he not been riding squidly on city streets~ It's just one more drop in the bucket that makes all sportbike riders look bad to the general public~ If I did go down and died when doing 180 through the forrest would I expect sympathy from those I left behind?.. not in the least~ If I was to hurt my Busa by doing squidly stuff, I wouldn't be looking to the members here for any spare parts or help getting my bike up either~ I won't even put my Busa on the track because of the risk of damage~ I realize there is a fine line drawn between the circumstances of a fall~ I, personally, just can't have sympathy for those that bring it upon themselves by being flat out squidly when they have the choice to ride respectfully~

RIP

Same thing happened to a guy here in Indy last fall.VERY experianced rider with 200+rwhp busa's.Made a bad choice on a windy day.Stand up wheelie at 100+[with the owner following on another bike].Wind got him in a wobble,bike went off the rode,through a mailbox.Bike went one way,he went another,and bounced off a tree.Gear ain't worth squat to a tree.Dead instantly.He did it cause the owner wanted to see it done on his busa.Cost him his life.Can't amagine how the owner feels having to see that.

Back