Ride to Tortilla Flats AZ

euroR

Registered
Well I was done with my class so I have time to waste till my next class at 5pm. I decided to go for a ride to Tortilla Flats here in AZ, at the Apache Junction. Its a 150miles round trip takes about 3.5hours but here in Arizona if you want twisty roads you will drive. So here are some photos. The bike rode amazing and it doesn't feel heavy at all. I just love it. Here are some photos.

DSCN5688.jpg

DSCN5687.jpg

DSCN5700.jpg

DSCN5707.jpg

DSCN5710.jpg

DSCN5711.jpg

DSCN5714.jpg

DSCN5717.jpg

EuroR, hey, nice bike.....I like the new style, just have to get used to the tail. Anyways, I am moving to Tempe at the end of December to pursue my law enforcement dream, so we will have to hook up!
beerchug.gif

One of the most challenging roads in AZ this road is...

That particular road is what I would call a "widow maker"

I grew up running this road first as a kid going to the lakes every Sunday after church (swimsuits under our church clothes) I also lived on the very end of this road on the Mesa side..

For those who have never ridden or seen this road...

It is every bit as technical as the Gap and it has a few other things you need to deal with:

Poor asphalt grain.. this road was put in around 1955 and is of very coarse consistency, some areas have been repaved but you need to pay attention to road surface.

Gravel.... every time it rains, granite gravel can accumulate in the blind, off camber, decreasing radius corners. (yep ugly and I know 2 guys that learned this the hard way while we were running this road)

The consequences of going off road are dire.. 10 to 100' sheer drop offs with boulders and cactus on one side and sheer rock faces on the other. Absolutely not a road for the beginning bike rider and no run off area if you loose it (well a few spots are ok but they are not in the worse sections)...

If you run this road at night, there is about a 90% chance you will hit tarantulas, rattle snakes, bull snakes and about 20 other different reptiles and varmints..(coyotes and javelina are common too)

It is also has heavy car and light truck traffic towing fishing, ski and hot rod boats. (only paved access to 2 major lakes in a 4 lake chain)

I grew up running this road an my brother passed away at canyon lake (Tortilla flats is at Canyon lake)

The pay off is some amazing scenery (when you stop) and some great lunch at the Flats (the new flats, the old one burned down some years ago) You will turn around and go back the way you came as the road goes to dirt in about 5 miles and continues this way for about another 30 and it not really passable by motorcycle (well sport bikes).

A must ride road, but do keep your wits about you and ride your own ride, it is not an easy go if you are trying to push your bike at all...

hey kawiboy11 hit me up once you get here, and what PD. I am getting a degree for criminal justice I just started. But when I get my AA I will try for Scottsdale PD. But yea hit me up once you get here.

Mr Bogus sorry to hear what happend. I know its a really dangerous road, thats y everyone that rides needs to be carefull. I like to take it easy and slow, dont want to scare my self or have anything happen. Its a good road but like you said not for biggeners.

Hey, I was on a photo assignment in Apache Junction, Lost Duchman Marathon, a few years back, I remember eating there. Isn't it in the Supersition Mts.? Beautiful scenery, love the lakes in the mountains, wish I'd had my boat while I was there. Tried to find the Dutchmans gold to.

hey kawiboy11 hit me up once you get here, and what PD. I am getting a degree for criminal justice I just started. But when I get my AA I will try for Scottsdale PD. But yea hit me up once you get here.

Mr Bogus sorry to hear what happend. I know its a really dangerous road, thats y everyone that rides needs to be carefull. I like to take it easy and slow, dont want to scare my self or have anything happen. Its a good road but like you said not for biggeners.
i am trying either Scottsdale, but Tempe is my first choice!

Great picts.
thumb_up.gif
Looks like another to add to the list like everyone else. Something I like about desert beauty.

Hey, I was on a photo assignment in Apache Junction, Lost Duchman Marathon, a few years back, I remember eating there. Isn't it in the Supersition Mts.? Beautiful scenery, love the lakes in the mountains, wish I'd had my boat while I was there. Tried to find the Dutchmans gold to.
What kind of photo assignment? way cool place for that!!

Were you could have eaten at was probably the old mining camp restaurant. Really cool kind of place and popular with tourists and company get togethers..

The Gold: Does it exist? hard to say but I never spent any time running those mountains, pretty rough stuff up there,

Picture #8 is the Superstition's and my guess that the picture was shot from about Ellsworth Rd ? (the start of the ride into the hills)

What kind of photo assignment?  way cool place for that!!

Were you could have eaten at was probably the old mining camp restaurant.  Really cool kind of place and popular with tourists and company get togethers..

The Gold: Does it exist?  hard to say but I never spent any time running those mountains, pretty rough stuff up there,  

Picture #8 is the Superstition's and my guess that the picture was shot from about Ellsworth Rd ? (the start of the ride into the hills)
It was a marathon, the restuarant had two catus skeltons outside, I didn't know what they look like inside, beautiful. Too bad thier illegal to own without proper approval and expensive too. Your right, I was in awe at the Mountains and scenery. I would love to have a view like that out of my window every morning.

If you look at picture 8, that was my back yard... we used to run bikes and sand buggies out in the desert behind the house... was a great place to be a kid growing up for sure... (never saw a rattle snake until I was like 13)

Funny you mention the saguaro skeletons... every few years there is a story about some redneck with a shot gun blowing the bottom out of one and getting crushed when it falls on him (avg weight about 2000lbs) They are mostly water so pack a good punch I guess

If you look at picture 8, that was my back yard...   we used to run bikes and sand buggies out in the desert behind the house... was a great place to be a kid growing up for sure... (never saw a rattle snake until I was like 13)

Funny you mention the saguaro skeletons... every few years there is a story about some redneck with a shot gun blowing the bottom out of one and getting crushed when it falls on him (avg weight about 2000lbs) They are mostly water so pack a good punch I guess
Ye, I saw a post card where one fell on a car, crushed it. It was like a 100lbs. for every 12 inches. I think they said every 70 years they grow an arm that's how you can tell how old they are. Some had arms growing down they said that was during a drought period. I definetly want to go back.

I have a cactus in fron of my home, its tall as our home. U know they are illegal to shoot and or remove.

Yes, I know Also thier roots aren't that deep that surprised me. I had no idea the needles where so long and big look like nails. I would hate to run into one of them.

they are not the cactus to worry about.. Cholla (CHOY-ah) are the killers... suckers will get you every time and the dang needles are hooked on the end.. They grow like a big bushy tree and boy are they nasty. I had a friend from Sierra Vista land his Honda CR250 in one at about 40mph he had needles poking out for a year after that..
IMG_1710.jpg

Ye, I remember seeing those also, I had forgatten about them they mentioned the hooked thorns on them. We also stopped at the Grand Canyon and took photos. Man you talk about breath taking. I stood right on the edge of the Grand Canyon, one step more and I would have been in the Canyon. You have some beautiful scenery in your part of the world.

Used to love riding that road. Never really hit it that hard because of what Mr. Bogus said up there.

Nice pics, man. I have family out there so if I'm ever in the area, I'll look ya up and go hit that road wit' ya!

--Wag--

Used to love riding that road.  Never really hit it that hard because of what Mr. Bogus said up there.  

Nice pics, man.  I have family out there so if I'm ever in the area, I'll look ya up and go hit that road wit' ya!

--Wag--
any time. Come to AZ for the May 31st ride

Back