Rich/Lean mixture settings

1999hayabusa

Registered
I rode my 99 busa today after restoring it and found few issues with her. The bike has got k&n air filter, yoshimora exhausts. The bike was not in running condition when i bought it as the front end was missing and the previous owner has put new rings in it. He never started the bike after putting the rings, today was the first time when it was started after the rings. There are no error codes coming in the clock and everything is working perfectly.

Issue 1:
The bike is miss firing, fluttering and can see some fire coming out from the right exhaust when rev, some black smoke is also visible. When the bike is warm the rpm drops down to 0 and she dies. I also noticed that till the time the fan doesnt gets on the bike idles very well on 1200rpm but when the fan starts, the rpm drops and the engine gets off. The bike is also running very rough. My tuner told me that the bike is running rich.
Can someone tell me how to set the mixture lean/rich settings so that we can do it ourself as there are no good tuners for busa in India. If there is some other problem then kindly help me in setting my bike.

Issue 2:
I noticed there is some clicking sound in the engine but when the clutch is pressed, the sound stops but when released it starts again. Not sure if its the clutch bell or something else.

Kindly help guys...

Hi

Where in India are you located? I can help you troubleshoot if around delhi/ncr

More knowledgable will soon chime in with their solutions.

Ankur

black smoke is usally burning oil, and if the guy before u didnt install the rings correctly then ur just simply burning and spitting out oil... and if u have access to get a powercommander u can do tunning urself just takes time and a good feel for the bike but wont be as good as a dyno tune but just involves u rideing the bike alot in a control place....

when u pull the clutch in very slowly before the noise stops can u feel anything in the level? i would either study the manuel and everything if u have any mechanical knowledge then take the engine out urself and look up everything. but since u said someone else put rings in it and didnt start it... could be something the guy did or the rings just need more time to *seat in* ... imo and btw:welcome:

@Ankur
I am in Noida and the bike is at Sumeet's workshop if you know him.

@Nicholas
The bike is running very rich as i checked the plugs. Is there any mixture setting in busa ?
The clicking sound is from the clutch side, may be the clutch bucket.

Your fuel flow is controlled by the ECU. To change the flow you'll need an add-on controller such as one from Dynojet. They can pre-program it for your K&N and exhaust and it will plug into your ECU box.

cool - I am nearby. Also, I have a power commander 3 usb that we can play around with to control the fuel mixture as suggested in the other posts.

give me a call - sent you my phone # in a PM

Ankur

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the PC3 will hold the map in it's own unit...just keep that in mind if you do get it tuned out then disconnect it. You'll need to purchase your own PC3 or PCV to hold the map, but that should give you an idea if all it will take is tuning.

Some are going with the ECU flash software (smithabusa) which might also be an option also if the PC3 seems to help any.

Last edited:
Outlaw is right Ankur, the PC will hold it's setting. So if your taking it off your bike to try on 1999's, you may not want to mess with it to much or you could be walking home. Also, you'll have to find if the 3 works on a '99 bike. The 5 only works for 02 and newer. Don't know if you have a dealer in India, but you could try the Dynojet web site to ask if the 3 will work.

u would have to buy ur own powercommander- or other type of fuel controling device, everything is electronic except the idle rpm controler which is on the right of the throttle bodys when ur sitting on the bike.. but no disrespect intended but it doesnt seem like ur fond of mechanics and the way the motorcycle works.. but if u think u can find someone that u can trust i would get their personal help cause since ur not familar with the bike there a higher chance of messing something something else up..

just more of my .02

understood guys - I think I will save my current map using the PC3 software and then load it back later before connecting it back to my 2003. PC3 compatibility with a 99 is something that will have to be looked into - thanks for the heads up.

also - anyone has any good tutorials on learning how to program a custom map using a pc3 - is access to a dyno a necessity for tuning with a pc3?

Also I just wanted to thank everyone on this great forum - you guys have saved me a ton of time, money and headache over the years that I have been lurking around.

Ankur

Without some sort of Air/Fuel ratio meter you'll be doing a lot of guessing.

If you have a pretty good idea it's mostly the tune, I'd take it to a dyno and get it done properly, that way hopefully it doesn't get worse or harm the motor.

Last edited:
Is there a place that tunes in India? That definitely would be the best bet and ask them what PC they like to tune with that will work on a '99.

If not contact Dynojet and tell them everything done to the bike and they will load a map in a PC for you that will get you very close. Trying to make a map yourself on a bike that's not running well could be difficult, unless you have the tools and know how. No disrespect intended.

Powercommander compatability breakdown for years is the following: 99-00, 01, 02-07 and 08 and up. 99-00 have 16bit ECUs rest are 32bit ECU
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:
Only PC2 will work on 99-00 busa's which i have but its not working on the bike (i am unable to save the standard settings on it), at present i am trying to rectify the problem wth the stock ecu.
Guys i am planning to clean the throttle body tomorrow as the bike was sitting for almost a year. Will that help in anyways ????

when ur adjusting the fuel table on the powercommander, are u saving the table and clicking the send table button?

I got the PC2 with the bike, yesterday i connected it with the ecu and the light was flashing on it. According to the manual i tried to set it on the leaner side but it was not allowing me to save the setting. I have not uploaded any maps on it yet, was just trying with the standard PC2 map.

With the K&N and exhaust you should already be on the lean side without a PC. Your certain it's gas and not oil on the plugs? Not sure on your type of rings, but some times there will be a bit of oil till the rings seal. Cleaning never hurts, old fuel can make crazy things happen.

The symptoms are of fuel, today i rode the bike without the air filter and she was running better. May be the air jets in the throttle body are blocked, just guessing. The plugs were also black, 4 3 & 2 were jet black but the 1 was clean.
There is some sound in the clutch also, it stops when the clutch is pressed. Can some1 spread some light on that also.

Back