Rich or lean?

redkat05

Dear spring....... HURRY!
Donating Member
Registered
For the last week or so i've been noticing that the bike idles kinda rough at start up till its warmed up. I've adjusted the idle but it seems to have slipped back down a bit. Also, when a lil while after start up and idling someone smooth yet not all up to temp, i crack the throttle a bit and at times dark smoke comes outta the pipes and others its a bit white. I have D&D slip-ons installed. Am I runnin rich cause of the straight through design of the D&D's? If so, its off to buy a PCIII if I can find one cheap. Any help is appreciated brothers..............

In my opinion, you see the dark smoke mainly for two reasons. One, the bike is not up to temp, in this case the bike's ECU is probably still providing a rich condition to keep the bike running. Second, if you crack the throtle rapidly, the excess gas would appear as un-burned (dark smoke) at the tail pipe mine does this regardless of the temperature.
Now, those pipes, if anything, would result in a leaner than stock condition on the bike due to the lack of back pressure. A PCIII would be needed if you wanted to dyno the bike and get a custom map to get all the HP you can get, if not I would not worry about it. The bike should just be fine.
I put a full Yoshi 4-2-1 and got a PCIII for it, believe me, the bike runs better without the PCIII for the day to day. If I want power I just load a different map and voila.

hope this helps.

Back