Need help w/ lean/rich setting

grabntwist

The one who started it all
Donating Member
Registered
Last few times I took my bike for a ride I noticed my exhaust tip was real sooty and black. I mentioned it to my friend and he said he noticed light black smoke under hard acceleration while he was behind me. Sounds simple,running rich so I dialed the PCIIIr one notch towards lean in each low/mid/high setting. The sooty stuff went away and the bike seems alot more crisp and powerful as if it needed it. My question is w/out going to the tuner, are there any red flags to look for when the Busa (particularly) is way lean? Examples that I know off are the motor breaking up under hard load or suddenly noticing that your pipe is a really cool looking purple or blue. Or is there a safegaurd in the ecu that wont let it get too lean? Can you blow the motor by setting the PCIIIr to lean? I think Im ok w/ my settings but want to know if I wasn't would the bike tell me,would I notice something wrong or just would I just have to wait untill it blew. Thanks

<!--EDIT|grabntwist
Reason for Edit: None given...|1073008209 -->

without a dyno...an' more importantly I feel....an' exhaust gas annalyzer , yer kinda screwed from the get-go .

See a tuner .

If you dont want to see a tuner.....sit tight....this could take all night .

First....No...it PROBABLY wont blow.
Second...small steps . it was runnin' ok...rich but ok . Fine. Go in small steps to lean it . Dont mess too much with the low . who cares if its a little rich at idle . Ya follow ?
Third...watch yer temp guage carefully... a lean runnin' mill will run hot . yer temp guage will climb,yer fan will be on. If yer just clickin one step at a time on yer PC you'll be fine.

make sure the black went away with adjustment , an' that its just not sumthin stoopid like a dirty air filter .

Bottom line.....you fugged with the fac set up .

Pull out yer credit card , phone Johnny Cheese-y or similar....

sorry , but chances are , its not going to be inexspensive from here on out . if you dont get it dyno'd/sniff'd , you could get yer ass handed to you by a stock 750 .

sorry . But thems the facts .

hav a SOOT 1.........RSD .

Back