Repaint or replace?

Scooter

Registered
Well, I tipped it over! I was doing a proper washing, and knocked it right off the sidestand. I can't believe how wimpy that stand is!

Anyway, the left lower is pretty scratched. Would it be cheaper (and faster) to order a new piece or have it repainted?

Anyone have experience?

Repaint!
smile.gif

You better believe I'm gonna do the kickstand mod!! I barely moved the front wheel (to dry off the front fender) and BAM! There was nothing I could do but watch my BRAND NEW bike fall over! Suzuki should be made aware of this obvious design flaw.

why you think they made it that way.. hahah

new side panel costs probably $100 to make... sells for $600 everyday... nice profit margin there.

You can just paint it yourself and buy the decals if they got scraped. Got a pic of the damage?

if its not too bad dont repaint casue more will come. What you need to do is get some frame sliders. My bikes been down, fliped, spun and everything else and my sides are still lookin great
cool.gif

If its a new bike just replace the panel and be done with it.

Frame sliders?
laugh.gif
So he should worry about scrapes on a $500 panel but not care about cutting holes in $1000 worth of plastic?
laugh.gif
If you drop your bike that much maybe you should had gotten a lighter bike or maybe a trike?
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Frame sliders?
laugh.gif
So he should worry about scrapes on a $500 panel but not care about cutting holes in $1000 worth of plastic?
laugh.gif
If you drop your bike that much maybe you should had gotten a lighter bike or maybe a trike?
laugh.gif
Second that.

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Frame sliders?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
So you want him to replace it everytime it gets a scratch or nic on it??? hell his pockets may be that deep but anyone who rides there bikes is going to get scratchs on it. Sliders were for teh next time he droped it to keep it off the ground hell even that little drop he hand can crack the fairing so id rather have a nice looking hole than a crack in my fairing..

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

You better believe I'm gonna do the kickstand mod!!  I barely moved the front wheel (to dry off the front fender) and BAM!  There was nothing I could do but watch my BRAND NEW bike fall over!  Suzuki should be made aware of this obvious design flaw.
You'll find mixed opinions on the sidestand mod on this forum.

Some will say that as long as you put the bike in gear when you park it, you can't roll it forward so that the sidestand folds up.

Personally, I did the mod and I'm a lot happier with the stability - regardless of whether the bike is in gear or not when it's parked.

Other options are to use front/rear stands - or (not popular here, but I have one) fit a center stand to make the bike more stable when you're working on it.

I'd recommend fitting frame sliders as well. I dropped mine at 1mph about 2 weeks after I bought it (still getting used to the weight/balance at low speed) and the $30 slider saved expensive damage to the fairing.

You better believe I'm gonna do the kickstand mod!!  I barely moved the front wheel (to dry off the front fender) and BAM!  There was nothing I could do but watch my BRAND NEW bike fall over!  Suzuki should be made aware of this obvious design flaw.

Some will say that as long as you put the bike in gear when you park it, you can't roll it forward so that the sidestand folds up.

Personally, I did the mod and I'm a lot happier with the stability - regardless of whether the bike is in gear or not when it's parked.

Other options are to use front/rear stands - or (not popular here, but I have one) fit a center stand to make the bike more stable when you're working on it.

I'd recommend fitting frame sliders as well. I dropped mine at 1mph about 2 weeks after I bought it (still getting used to the weight/balance at low speed) and the $30 slider saved expensive damage to the fairing.
You do want to park it in gear. There is still a problem with that. The preassure in the cylinders will slowly bleed off. The bike will be very stable for a few hours, with a fairly new engine, but will not help much overnight. The kickstand mod will still be a benefit to the stability of the bike overnight.

I keep my Busa in a garage, so I keep it on racing stands if it's going to be there for a few days or longer.

beerchug.gif

I'd go with replacing the panel as long as there's no other damaged parts.I'd also purchase the frame sliders and by all means do the kickstand mod.

here's my roblems with frame sliders.

First off, you damage the panel by cutting it in the first place. To me I'd just take the risk of dropping the bike.

Second MOST FRAME SLIDERS DO NOT WORK!!! They are NOT intended to save your bike from a stand still drop. In reality you are focusing ALLOT of force on a VERY important area of your frame which is cast material(your motor mount). Not a good idea. The frame slider idea originated by race teams with huge budgets who wouldn't worry about scraping a frame.

You do want to park it in gear.  There is still a problem with that.  The preassure in the cylinders will slowly bleed off.  The bike will be very stable for a few hours, with a fairly new engine, but will not help much overnight.  The kickstand mod will still be a benefit to the stability of the bike overnight.

I keep my Busa in a garage, so I keep it on racing stands if it's going to be there for a few days or longer.

beerchug.gif
No offense but if your theory was correct my car would had drifted down the street many many times over many many years now. If you turn off your bike in gear, rock the bike as far forward as it can go, lower your kickstand and rest your bike on the stand at that point, the bike won't fall.

Back