Removing Frankenstein Bolts

BMW5

Registered
Forum,

I finishing the last of my winter mods which includes chrome passenger rearsets and fairing screens in the tail. In order to install these parts, I need to remove the rear fairing. I am having a difficult time removing the Frankenstein bolt on the right side of my bike. I have tried an Allen wrench, Vise Grips, WD-40, and a lot of prayers. The bolt is mangled at this point and it still won't budge. The left side bolt came out with little trouble. I thought about trying to cut the bolt off. What should I do now? Have any of you had similar experiences? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks,
BMW5

I went thru this VERY same thing! I ended up just drillin it out & tappin it to clean out the threads. this is your best bet brother i guarantee it
Posted via Mobile Device

the flush screws?
drill em out
the 1's under the seat?
cant you use vice grips clamp on and rotate?

Sorry for my ignorance, but what did you use to drill it out? A screw extractor?

actually i don't think ya need a carbide bit, those screws are pretty soft.

Use a 17/64 bit and the tap ya need is a tapered 8mm x 1.25
Posted via Mobile Device

Vise Grips, plus allen wrench (or whatever else you could get to grip) and impact (tap) with a hammer. You might want to try tightening it up to just to try to break it loose first before backing it out. Maybe try to get some penetrating oil on the threads and let it soak in...

Just a thought...

dude, TRUST ME! Save yourself further headache and just drill & tap. I fugged up my decal below the bolt usin everything i could think of before i just drilled & tapped
Posted via Mobile Device

if you can still grab the outside of the thing..

give it a really solid whack with a hammer then vicegrip the thing out ..

Everyone,

I was able to get that Frankenstein bolt out today. Since the head of the bolt was messed up, I decided to grind the bolt head and make it square. While the head was round, the Vise Grips could not get a solid grip. The teeth would dig into the bolt and slide as I pulled. I guess with the bolt head square, it gave the teeth more of a flat surface to hold on too. So after much aggravation and helpful advice from this board, I succeeded in removing that bolt. Thank you!!

BMW5

:beerchug:

..now order you a set of the replacement franken bolts from SmithaBusa.:thumbsup:

I hate those stupid Frankenstein bolts that's why I got ride of mine then filled in the hole when I repainted the bike, the bolt is only there for the purpose of being a tie down point, it is not needed to hold your tail on to the bike.....if you have allready removed the grab rail then you cant tie anything down anyway so why not get ride of the stupid bolt too...

100_0340.jpg

l_f60d39e981c54387806be83b438a53ed.jpg

l_24a992f8abe8443dae354aeda67c8a20.jpg

l_0b52af993ffd4cc8affa7b6fa377225c.jpg

Last edited:
I tried that too but it still ended up twistin the head off the bolt

Thank you guys. I was losing my mind trying to get these damn things off. Did a google and this was the first result. Thanks to those who went before me. :D

Back