DIY Frankenstein bolts for under $2.00

drunkenmonke

Registered
I wanted to order the frankenstein bolt mod online but I got tired of waiting for them to get them back in stock so I did my own. It is not completely flush but I still think it looks good. You could probably add a few washers to each side or a spacer and it would be flush if you like. Let me know what you think...

I went to ACE Hardware's bolt section and bought (2) M8 x 1.25 x 16 screws that have the allen key head on them. The allen head is exactly the same as the frankenstein bolts I removed so the little black plastic filler piece fits in them perfectly. Cost .95 a piece instead of $15 or whatever they are being sold for.

2011-03-22_17-19-03_89.jpg

2011-03-22_17-19-19_397.jpg

Maybe it's the pictures, but it looks like the bolt isn't holding the fairing, just sitting in the hole.

Haha would you believe i cleaned it two days ago? West Texas dust and winds are aggravating! The bolt holds the fairing just like the original, the head is the same size just not as much depth.
Posted via Mobile Device

Well, around here it's hard to find good hardware, but this is my current .85 cent fix in stainless. :laugh:

x.jpg

I came in under $2. Went to Ace and just got two socket head cap screws that were black, 87 cents each. I just put them in, my bike is dark charcoal on the tail and with the rubber part being black in that hole it just blends in, hardly even noticeable and doesn't stick out.

Back