Regulating the internet

Bumblebee

Donating Member
Registered
...and it's about time this has begun....the internet has become the bed rock of so many subversive groups it isn't even slightly humorous....

People figure they can do whatever they darned well want on many sites...in a day and age where being on-line is more common than taking a morning shower, predators are lurking everywhere.

In my day kids could escape their bullies after school, weekends and holidays now their bullies are on line and tormenting them day and night. I know, if they don't want to be tormented, don't go on the internet right?

This article talks about the free expression of people being in jeopardy.....if someone said in person what they say on line, there'd be some severe violence happening every second of every day...

...and it's about time this has begun....the internet has become the bed rock of so many subversive groups it isn't even slightly humorous....

People figure they can do whatever they darned well want on many sites...in a day and age where being on-line is more common than taking a morning shower, predators are lurking everywhere.

In my day kids could escape their bullies after school, weekends and holidays now their bullies are on line and tormenting them day and night. I know, if they don't want to be tormented, don't go on the internet right?

This article talks about the free expression of people being in jeopardy.....if someone said in person what they say on line, there'd be some severe violence happening every second of every day...

I will make you this promise... As this type of mindset is adopted for the sake of oversight and rules are put into play I will begin to cut off access to those countries because of the liability I as the "Broadcaster" would assume. This site does not receive funding from users and there is clearly not a budget for dealing with lawsuits because a govt finds content improper. There is more conversations going on about liabilities on uploaded content and copyright infringements and they are wanting to shift that liability to me and to have me validate and review all the content is good and owned by the person posting....

As we get to that level this site will disappear and you guys can go hang out on FB somewhere.... You might be careful about what you are asking for.

Cap

How are they going to regulate the content? Same as China and Iran, the government filter content and decide what you can see and can't see?
I will make you this promise... As this type of mindset is adopted for the sake of oversight and rules are put into play I will begin to cut off access to those countries because of the liability I as the "Broadcaster" would assume. This site does not receive funding from users and there is clearly not a budget for dealing with lawsuits because a govt finds content improper. There is more conversations going on about liabilities on uploaded content and copyright infringements and they are wanting to shift that liability to me and to have me validate and review all the content is good and owned by the person posting....

As we get to that level this site will disappear and you guys can go hang out on FB somewhere.... You might be careful about what you are asking for.

Cap
I would say sites such as this would be not on the radar of any internet authority. I recall Cap you warned us all about content and to be careful as some of it could 'pop up' on the radar or something to that effect. So oversight is already here but to what degree is the issue.

There are so many subversive sites where predators live and thrive where there is zero oversight until they hit the radar of police which is usually after something bad happens.

I would think this idea would be targeting sites such as FB, Twitter and the like and would be giving the administrators some teeth. If FB kicks someone off, it is a rare thing and all the person has to do is open another account.

A couple years ago some freak targeted my 10 yr old grand daughter in a youth gaming site which is overseen by administrators, this person posed as a teenager and was trying to lure kids...he was so well disguised it took quite a bit of investigating to figure out he was a 50 yr old man on the sex register. We paid a PI to track him down and when we got the info we turned it into the police.

A lot of hate crime and abuses takes place within the internet-there has to be someone policing it.

^^^^
The internet is probably the most successful project ever with little to zero structure and regulation. The success of total freedom.

It is impossible to trace your so-called criminal if the user uses a VPN.

It really means the only way to do this is filtering content, meaning taking away your freedom and deciding what you will have access to by someone else.

At least when Alexander Graham Bell invented the telephone around 1876, people were smart enough not to try and sensor the information it provided. That common sense has since become a very rare commodity

Personally, if you are concerned about what your children may be exposed to on the internet, there are apps for that.

Maybe regulate your (not you specifically, the royal "we") kids instead of the internet. Also, pedos should catch a bullet to the head, first time.
Even regulating kids, some of these freaks are pretty savvy and are infiltrating sites meant specifically for children bypassing most if not all safety protocols...

The internet can be a very dangerous place and with such a vast thing such as it is, policing needs to be present...

I look at it the same as normal everyday society, if people were allowed to do just anything they wanted out there, it wouldn't be safe to go outside....

Even regulating kids, some of these freaks are pretty savvy and are infiltrating sites meant specifically for children bypassing most if not all safety protocols...

The internet can be a very dangerous place and with such a vast thing such as it is, policing needs to be present...

I look at it the same as normal everyday society, if people were allowed to do just anything they wanted out there, it wouldn't be safe to go outside....
The difference is that you are in my house, Hayabusa.org is not a govt site, not funded by the govt nor is it a required site for life or health. You choose to come here! To be honest the same goes for facebook, twitter, CNN, The New York Times, Playboy, any radio station you listen to?

If you don't like the discussion and it doesn't fit in your personal agenda then just leave...

The new regulations that are coming out will cripple the Internet, only the large Google's and Facebooks will have social media because they will put AI filters in place that will scrub through comments, remove images and delete your content automatically then put the blame on the govt.

Youtube has had some of this ability for years, looks at the music industry and how they scan uploads now for copyright claims then put ads on your videos, do you think that someone complained about your video or a person actually watched it to see if there was a copyright against it, heck no.

Every image that is uploaded to this site would have to be reviewed for authenticity as an example, who has time for that, do you think we have the money to pay for a service to do that?

This in my opinion is clearly govt overreach...

I would say sites such as this would be not on the radar of any internet authority. I recall Cap you warned us all about content and to be careful as some of it could 'pop up' on the radar or something to that effect. So oversight is already here but to what degree is the issue.

We lose money every year on this site, it is not self supporting anymore. All it takes is one person to falsely claim copyright or file a lawsuit and I'm out... Why would I pay legal fees to keep a site open for free? How would any other free service keep the doors open if they were constantly hit with regulations, oversite, fines, and legal worries?

There are a lot of bad people who do a lot of bad things in places the law can't reach. The internet is just another such place.

So explain to us the process and mechanics, procedures, how the regulators can effectively regulate the internet without doing it the Chinese way? Or do you support the CCP controlling what the public may see and what they may not see?

There are a lot of bad people who do a lot of bad things in places the law can't reach. The internet is just another such place.

So explain to us the process and mechanics, procedures, how the regulators can effectively regulate the internet without doing it the Chinese way? Or do you support the CCP controlling what the public may see and what they may not see?
I see this as a mechanism for law makers to hold big social media accountable for the content they allow to be posted.

I don't have any of those accounts personally and never will but I know of instances where people have been bullied to the point of suicide and there was no oversight to help prevent this. Yes, yes, there are apps, there are parents, friends who could of all stepped in and prevented such a tragedy but in reality, people get so wrapped up in their internet lives, they often don't reach out for help..

I don't think any government has the time, money or personnel to police the entire internet

The difference is that you are in my house, Hayabusa.org is not a govt site, not funded by the govt nor is it a required site for life or health. You choose to come here! To be honest the same goes for facebook, twitter, CNN, The New York Times, Playboy, any radio station you listen to?

If you don't like the discussion and it doesn't fit in your personal agenda then just leave...

The new regulations that are coming out will cripple the Internet, only the large Google's and Facebooks will have social media because they will put AI filters in place that will scrub through comments, remove images and delete your content automatically then put the blame on the govt.

Youtube has had some of this ability for years, looks at the music industry and how they scan uploads now for copyright claims then put ads on your videos, do you think that someone complained about your video or a person actually watched it to see if there was a copyright against it, heck no.

Every image that is uploaded to this site would have to be reviewed for authenticity as an example, who has time for that, do you think we have the money to pay for a service to do that?

This in my opinion is clearly govt overreach...
We lose money every year on this site, it is not self supporting anymore. All it takes is one person to falsely claim copyright or file a lawsuit and I'm out... Why would I pay legal fees to keep a site open for free? How would any other free service keep the doors open if they were constantly hit with regulations, oversite, fines, and legal worries?
You are 100% correct, people can choose what they view...and most intelligent, adults generally do this however it's the impressionable, fragile minds which for some reason don't or can't detach themselves..I can't answer why and there are people with PhDs trying to figure this out.

It's easy to say "just leave" but in many cases people don't and the antagonists hang around fueling fires until someone bans them....it's happened on this site and we are fortunate to have people such as yourself and other administrators conducting due diligence...there are many, many other sites of which this is not happening.

Human beings are social animals and in this day and age, that social contact is generally via the internet.

This site is a 'Unicorn" where other sites are failing and going dormant, this site is running along strongly...why is that I wonder? I think maybe there is so much crap that goes along with the social media platforms (FB) for instance, people want a simple way of communicating.

The large social media platforms need policing, they have administrators but even they admit they have only so many eyes and so much authority...hackers and worse are constantly bombarding them day and night...

Like I mentioned on another post, governments don't have the time, money or personnel to police the entire internet.

I see this as a mechanism for law makers to hold big social media accountable for the content they allow to be posted.

I don't have any of those accounts personally and never will but I know of instances where people have been bullied to the point of suicide and there was no oversight to help prevent this. Yes, yes, there are apps, there are parents, friends who could of all stepped in and prevented such a tragedy but in reality, people get so wrapped up in their internet lives, they often don't reach out for help..

I don't think any government has the time, money or personnel to police the entire internet
I believe that already happens, to hold Facebook etc., accountable.

If you spent time in Saudi, you should know it is pretty easy to manage the whole internet. They have algorithms that filter out anything they do not want their citizens to see and infrastructure in place to manage that full time.

If you spent time in Saudi, you should know it is pretty easy to manage the whole internet. They have algorithms that filter out anything they do not want their citizens to see and infrastructure in place to manage that full time.
Facebook administrators deem what content is held to account and their interpretation varies hugely...that is one social media which needs policing.

Any time I spent in Saudi was in the desert...and the internet was the furthest thing from our minds

Just repeal section 230 so parents of pedo victims can sue google and facebook and IG. Also, keep your kids off the internet until you can get them to understand that there are some really bad people out there.

Back