California better get out the extension cords

Just imagine the days when they have to change out all those batteries.....I read where the mining of Lithium is well...just nasty....

The developed countries strive to reduce their carbon foot-print while the non-developed countries keep on belching out lots of nastiness. We as the developed countries need to intervene in those countries and help them clean up too. Not doing this is like shoveling mud, the hole keeps filling up everytime.

Something I have never understood is Toyota launched the Mirai, with the needed infrastructure in California, drive it like a normal vehicle with re-fueling in minutes when needed, zero emissions.

IMHO it is the answer, but it just has not taken off.

An increase in Busa (and other gas-powered) resale value?

I suppose it would depend on where you live. In some locales, they may become worthless due to lack of available fuel, insurance and draconian usage rules, in other places they'll run side-by-side on the road with newer tech.

The best of the best will always command high prices in the collector world though, but best-of-the-best will no longer include your neighbour's engine-swapped pro-touring '70 Nova, or that patina'd VW Westfalia down the street. Those will be worth their weight in scrap steel, and little more. Unless another Cash For Clunkers bill is drafted, then you might get an extra few hundred bucks for your "classic".

Best place for your 'Busa in this future is in your living room as a piece of modern industrial art.

IMG_20200922_173757_1.jpg

*Note: Not my Busa, not my living room. ;)

Something I have never understood is Toyota launched the Mirai, with the needed infrastructure in California, drive it like a normal vehicle with re-fueling in minutes when needed, zero emissions.

IMHO it is the answer, but it just has not taken off.

I believe it's the answer too. I think the slow take-off is because of a red tape corporate struggle for control of the project, which conveniently delays reducing the demand for oil products as well.

Urban sprawl has dictated the necessity for more vehicles these days as people are leaving cities.

Just wait until all these people start plugging in their e-vehicles and watch the power grid fall apart.

The hydrogen cars look promising at least-can't see a motorcycle version of that going off well though.

The sky is not falling. I don’t see “motorcycles” listed anywhere.

“Don’t panic, nobody’s coming to take your car. As Newsom’s executive order (PDF) outlining the new rules notes, existing internal combustion vehicles will still be perfectly legal to own, operate, buy, and sell within the state. The new rules only apply to new vehicle sales. That includes cars, minivans and SUVs. The California Air Resources Board will also be tasked with drafting regulations to do the same with medium- and heavy-duty vehicles by 2045. Newsom’s office notes that transportation accounts for roughly half of the state’s carbon emissions and estimates that these new rules will reduce those emissions by 35 percent.

The move is the first of its kind for a US state, however it’s not an entirely unique idea. A dozen countries including the UK, Germany and India have all passed legislation to phase out gas-powered vehicles by 2030 while Canada and France have established a goal of 2040.”

Hi if they get away with they can ban the sale of gas and all gas powered vehicles.

Back