reflectors

kb97

Registered
someone explain the obsession of telling other people they have to remove there reflectors when they post a pic and there bike has them? whats the reason for getting rid of them? anything that might catch the attention of a cager
even if its only a remote chance seems like a good idea.whats the cons of having them on?

lol i do feel the peer pressure
You're not alone I still have mine.
blues.gif

I bet you reflector guys keep your shoe laces tied and button the top button on your shirt.
laugh.gif

<!--EDIT|Sane_man
Reason for Edit: None given...|1071216821 -->

The reflectors create too much drag, and removing them will let you go faster!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I'm 50/50 on this. Took the front off, and left the back on. Allows you to clean the forks better.

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

I just think it cleans up the bike a whole lots better...

If the reflectors were designed as part of the bike then I would have left them but they are DOT slap ons after the fact.  I found them to be offensive at best and down right aggravating the rest of the time.  They do nothing for the bike ya know.

If you want to be seen on the road what good are those reflectors going to be anyway.  Last time I checked when riding, generally speaking, you are not going to avoid getting tagged by some drunk cager at an intersection because he see's a little Orange and red dot.  Especially when we consider that they are basically invisible from 3/4 front or rear let alone from front and rear, basically they are useless all round and fug up the good shapes the bike has.

Now what I am planning on doing is using 3-M Scotchlite reflective tape to provide some reflectivity.  You can buy it at Galls.com   I bought a small roll of black and small roll of silver.  With this stuff you can create some really cool highly reflective surfaces that are mostly invisable in the day time, but when light hits it at night it glows real bright.

3-M Scotchlite reflective Sheets Big Ole Sheets.... I have done a lot of business with bobo Blick as well, they are solid and reliable.

Here's some tape  Galls Public Safety Equipment  

Galls kicks butt BTW if you need any sort of LEO/SAR/EMT gear this is a pretty good place.  Everything you'll need.  Every order I have put in arrives in a hurry as advertised.

Tape is a bitch to find though, so if you like the link you better save it.

I just think that you can have the best of all worlds, let your self be a little creative, cut your own designs etc, and really have a highly relective surface that may actually improve your safety.  The factory reflectors are useless...

He he...Yeah I remember that... But Now Sane man, just think about how much faster it is...
biggrin.gif

Word has it that Triumph canned the "Busa killer" because once the Busa's reflectors were removed, it was still faster than their project bike. The realization that all that R&D could be flushed down the toilet for them when someone just took off their reflectors, was simply too much to ask the shareholders to accept. Now I aint one to gossip, so you aint heard it from me!
rock.gif

They explode once you go over 200mph. Something to do with an alloy that heats up from friction.
wow.gif

Beware, this bike was extensively wind tunnel tested and the deflected air vortecies from the reflectors keeps the radiator cool.

Remove them at your own peril!

Oh Oh another reflector removal. My God what next the warning stickers....
wow.gif

As a matter of fact, I took my stickers off with the reflectors. Like I need to be reminded to wear a helmet or put good gas in the bike.

yep removing the reflectors and warning stickers just clean up the bike all together.. ohh and dont forget getting rid of that god awful looking rear fender!!!!!! having all that stuff still on ur bike is just screaming for other busas to make fun of it like like when rudolph couldnt play in any reindeer games because of his nose!!!

Back