Removing Reflectors

drlucian

Registered
What is the rationale for removing the reflectors?
They are ugly and cheap looking and probably don't help aerodynamically but they do increase your visibility at least minimally.

Are there any flat reflectors that could be mounted or stuck onto suitable spots on the fairing to replace them?

911graphics.com sells 3M reflective vinyl that comes in many different colours. Some is pre-die cut for specific bike models.

I've attached a GIF showing the reflective vinyl

911graphics_1808_10664792.gif

Very few accidents involve a motorcyclist getting hit from the side, so the reflectors are largely frivilous.

The bike looks alot better with them off as well.

Don't take them off because others including myself take them off. If you feel they give more visibility as some do leave them. It is your bike and you need to be comfortable with the bike.

Exactly what Snake said. They are ass ugly DOT specific junk that doesn't do anything. Think about it? in what possible situation will those side reflectors really be useful?

About all they are going to do is let the drunk finally see you the instant before t-boning ya.

About 80% of all multi vehicle accidents involving bikes involve hit from the left front 1/4. And those reflectors do exactly bobo. Mostly they are ugly and useless.

You can buy 3-M "Scotchlite" reflective tape in all sorts of colors and widths. Color match the tape to your Busa and it could be pretty visible. I have a few rolls here still haven't done anything with it though.

Putting it on your helmet is an excellent Idea though, that is where I have some allready. It Really makes the helmet stand out in dark.

'Gotta agree that they don't do squat! However, it is up to you if you remove them. You've got a 'Busa whether the reflectors are on or off, but you have a better lookin' 'Busa with them off!

Mine are staying on, personally I don't think they take much away from the bikes looks and any little bit of extra visibility helps.

Ironically, I bet many of the people who rip on the reflectors have aftermarket cans with those <span style='color:red'>T</span><span style='color:blue'>A</span><span style='color:deeppink'>C</span><span style='color:purple'>K</span><span style='color:teal'>Y</span> decals on the side in so many colors they look like a float in a Rainbow Pride Parade!
laugh.gif

Mine are staying on, personally I don't think they take much away from the bikes looks and any little bit of extra visibility helps.

Ironically, I bet many of the people who rip on the reflectors have aftermarket cans with those <span style='color:red'>T</span><span style='color:blue'>A</span><span style='color:deeppink'>C</span><span style='color:purple'>K</span><span style='color:teal'>Y</span> decals on the side in so many colors they look like a float in a Rainbow Pride Parade!  
laugh.gif
Sooo, if LoveStuds finally got a bike, those are probably the cans he would use.
rock.gif

I can't thinks of a way that they would help while I was riding. But, if the bike were parked in a dark parking lot, where some careless cager not expecting to see anything but another car, might back over it. The lights would not be on because it is parked. Maybe the glint of a reflective substance would keep his rear bumper off the plastic.
rock.gif

Scrap the reflectors..............stick on some tireflys...........you'll get seen from the side if that's what you want, plus they look sorta cool at night!!! (I've got blue ones......they're motion activated and seem to last quite a while):)

http://www.tireflys.com/products/uv.asp

<!--EDIT|scottybusa
Reason for Edit: "added link"|1096857386 -->

Sooo, if LoveStuds finally got a bike, those are probably the cans he would use.
rock.gif
[/QUOTE]

Bwahahaha! Better hope he doesn't read that...he'll open a can o' whoop ass on ya!
smile.gif

I did remove mine, but only after registration as front and rear reflectors are required here in Maryland to pass State Safety Inspection. I do like it better with them off.

What is the rationale for removing the reflectors?
They are ugly and cheap looking and probably don't help aerodynamically but they do increase your visibility at least minimally.

Are there any flat reflectors that could be mounted or stuck onto suitable spots on the fairing to replace them?

911graphics.com sells 3M reflective vinyl that comes in many different colours. Some is pre-die cut for specific bike models.

I've attached a GIF showing the reflective vinyl
If you could get that reflective stuff on that car in the shape of the Kanji on the side of the busa, that would be cool.
cool.gif

I'm leaving mine on cause'......well...frankly, it don't matter to me either way....so's I aint gonna waste time on it....too many other things that gotta be done....lol. Plus they are on there for a reason...and every little bit of visibility helps on a two wheeled rocket I think, either parked OR breaking the sound barrier
tounge.gif

laugh.gif
Now You are sounding like a Grand Dad...
smile.gif

Someone had a good point about parking lot visibility... It could make a definite difference when sitting there.... Well at least if your Busa is a dark color or colors... I'll stick with the reflective tape though. If Suzuki would have at least put "SOME" thought into the shape of the reflectors that would be one thing, but as they are... they just looked slapped on...

Just a matter of preference. Be your own person and not play follow the leader. Agreed that the reflectors off makes the bike look sweeter, but it's still up to you. Its the same as the rear fender. Some people choose to do one of three things: 1.) Leave as is 2.) Use a dremel to shave the fender (cheap undertail mod), or 3.) Purchase an aftermarket undertail (i.e. Top Gun). Either way, it's simply what you prefer. Me myself, I chose to shave the rear fender just under the license plate bracket. I then removed the bug-eye looking rear signals and mounted some short-stalk signal lights using the brackets where the rear reflectors were removed. Here's an old shot of my bike:

A little off the subject but bacharles... I noticed you went with the Yoshie slip-ons. Same thing I have...look and sound is soooo good. Didn't realize untill my mechanic was riding the bike and I had a chance to hear it as he came down the street. Just sounds bad ass...imo. Your bike looks great!!

Back