Recommendations for tranny undercut

Don Hardcastle

Busa Ridin' Sailor (ret)
Donating Member
Registered
I called Orient Express. Fast by Gast was at lunch. Any other recommendations for a shop to do them. I am looking at this as a less expensive way to fix the bike. May have to wait on the 1397 till later.

Don

Fast by Gast is quick, and price is good. I've had them do my first and second gear at different times (unfortunately) and they were great both times. I think it is under $400 for the whole trans to be undercut assuming no welding is needed. If so, they do that too.

yup...R&D for me.

Mark does wonderful work... and has always been honest with what is and 'isn't' needed....he even showed me how to use the magnaflux.
But that was in the mid 90s ....

FastbyGast all the way. They are the only ones that will ever touch my tranny. They do outstanding work and at a great price. I had them do everything possible to my tranny and it came out to $875 (full "Pro Street" tranny). I think the basic undercut tranny job is $350.

(big coop @ Aug. 01 2007,18:36) Blaise does great work in south florida.#305-548-8114 sak for Kevin.
I was told by one of their workers they send it out to get done. It isn't done in-house. Still an awesome shop though!
super.gif

I've heard good things about R&D. Instead of sending mine out to get done, I bought one which was done by Fast by Gast.
Hey big coop, I'll give you one guess as to who swapped out my stock one for the undercut one ...
biggrin.gif

Not to be a thred jacker..but what the heck is an undercut trans?And why would someone need it done?
SHOCKED.gif

(NoFearSpear @ Aug. 02 2007,16:36) Not to be a thred jacker..but what the heck is an undercut trans?And why would someone need it done?
SHOCKED.gif
The dogs on the face of the gears engage slots in the mating gears.  As you shift, they eventually round the corners a bit.  Eventually the dogs no longer stay engaged in the slots during acceleration.  By undercutting (cut at an angle) the dog and the slot naturally pull together under load.  The factory undercuts gears 3-6 but doesn't do 1-2.  After a trans has been beat on for awhile it is a good idea to just do all the gears at the same time if you have to do one.

DSCN0024.jpg

DSCN0039.jpg

Here is some more pictures and info. I'm not sure I agree with their solution, however.

Link

so its not beneficial until you start having problems with it jumping out of gear
rock.gif

If it goes into gear and stays in gear, what else can you ask?  I wouldn't pull my trans out to undercut it unless it had a problem or I had the case split for something else.

It goes into 2nd gear, but doesn't stay in gear. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" It is broke.

Don

Back