Rear tire recommendations?

hbus1300

Registered
I know this has been asked many times before, but please humor my question. I have around 4000miles on my 40th aniv. and am in need of a new rear tire. Everything i've ever heard was that you had to match the front and the back. I dont really have the $ for a set right now, so I am looking at going with a different rear now and change the front later. Would this be stupid? Should I just put on another bt56 and wait till either the $ comes along or I need another tire? Any recommendations on what to do or what tire combo would work would be great. The bt56 has been great, but I am wanting to get into the corners a little more so I am wanting something with more bite.

thanks,
hbus1300

You really don't need to match tires unless your a pro or trying to become one(dragg'in your knee on every corner). I have a stock rear and a metzler sportec M1 on the front. When the rear wears out, I'll get a Metzler sportec M1 for the rear. I just replace each tire as it needs it. I changed to the Metzler because it has better grip/feel for me. I don't drag my knee in corners, but I do hit the twistys with enthusiam. If you play with your suspension to enhance your bikes cornering or have lots of money, then I would match your tires. Otherwise, have fun and put tires on when they wear out.

Oh yeah,
I wouldn't mess with different profiles. 120/70/17 is stock for the front.

I agree, I don't mind miss matching either. And I seriously don't think you can beat a metzeler sportec M1 on the street. I simply love mine. If you want more treadwear and less performance, then I would go with a different tire. These stick like glue and wear out a bit faster than other street tires.

-Bill

Back