recommendation for brakes?

09Zxkiller

Registered
I have a 09 busa and when I had a rear tire put on they said my rear brake pads are almost done... my question is do I or should I replace the rotors with it? If so what rotor do you recommend? Also what pads do you recommend? I'm gonna replace the front also while I'm at it...
Posted via Mobile Device

If it was me, stock rotor and pads are fine for the rear, if you really feel the need to upgrade I would suggest stock rotor with EBC pads. The rear only gives about 20% braking anyway.

How many miles on the bike? I don’t think you need to change out the rotors yet unless yo have high miles. Although if you switched out to a wave rotor and stainless steel lines you would notice a big difference in the stopping power.

I have 7000 miles... my friend had the bike for 3k of those miles and I know he rides brakes like crazy... what brand wave rotors? Any website recommendations? I am gonna switch to braided lines anyway...
Posted via Mobile Device

I don't feel that I have to upgrade by any means... but if it is going to get new parts then I want it to get the right new parts...
Posted via Mobile Device

Just change the pads...stock pads on the rear...EBC HH pads on the front. No need to change rotors, unless you have 40,000-50,000 miles ???
Posted via Mobile Device

Call Melissa at Cycle Brakes, they are one of the sponsers of this board and she is having a group buy on brake parts right now. She dosn't check this board very often but if you called you would get answers right away.

Any style ebc pads for the back? And ebc hh for the front right? Thanks...
Posted via Mobile Device

You can use EBC HH on the rear too, just kind of a waste of $$$ thou...stock pads are fine for the rear.
Posted via Mobile Device

You can use EBC HH on the rear too, just kind of a waste of $$$ thou...stock pads are fine for the rear.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thats ture only if you use more front that rear. Some people only use the rear brake, I know we have integreted brakes and were always getting so of both but I still would change the rears too. JMO

Thats ture only if you use more front that rear. Some people only use the rear brake, I know we have integreted brakes and were always getting so of both but I still would change the rears too. JMO

The Busa does not have integrated brakes...and using HH pads on the rear will wear the rotor much faster.
Posted via Mobile Device

Your stock busa pads are Sinter HH as well as the front. The EBC pads seem to have a little better initial bite but are basically the same material. I would not recommend EBC pads on the rear.

I wouldn't worry about changing the front pads. If you have worn your rear pads out in 7K miles I'm sure your front rotors are rusty from lack of use.

Learn to use your front brakes. Your front brakes are many times more effective at reducing speed. Fear of the front brake is very common among bikers.

That's the thing I hardly ever use the rear... I use the rear if I really have to stop I'm on the front hard and the rear extra hard... otherwise if I ride the bike for a day for work errands etc ill use the rear once all day... I only use the front and engine braking... that's why I mentioned my buddy had the bike and he lives on the brakes...
Posted via Mobile Device

When I got a tire like 2 weeks ago they said rear are about 15% so I just want to get it over with. Also do I need to surface the rotors?
Posted via Mobile Device

When I got a tire like 2 weeks ago they said rear are about 15% so I just want to get it over with. Also do I need to surface the rotors?
Posted via Mobile Device

NO...you do not surface bike rotors like you would a car or truck.
Posted via Mobile Device

Nope, you don't need to do anything to the rotor other then clean it with a rag soaked with BrakeClean while you have the caliper off.

That's the thing I hardly ever use the rear... I use the rear if I really have to stop I'm on the front hard and the rear extra hard... otherwise if I ride the bike for a day for work errands etc ill use the rear once all day... I only use the front and engine braking... that's why I mentioned my buddy had the bike and he lives on the brakes...
Posted via Mobile Device

I think it's very odd that your rear pads are worn already. I am old school and use my rear and front together whenever I stop. I have 9k on my bike and they're not close to worn yet. Assuming your foot doesn't rest on the lever while riding, and you use engine braking as you should (ie not just braking in the twisties and pulling the clutch in and just using brakes to stop on the street), and you're not regularly doing track days, you might check and make sure they are releasing properly when you let up on the lever. No way they should be worn at 7k with normal use!

Ok critter... is there any other way of checking besides spinning braking and spinning again on a stand?
Posted via Mobile Device

I think it's very odd that your rear pads are worn already. I am old school and use my rear and front together whenever I stop. I have 9k on my bike and they're not close to worn yet. Assuming your foot doesn't rest on the lever while riding, and you use engine braking as you should (ie not just braking in the twisties and pulling the clutch in and just using brakes to stop on the street), and you're not regularly doing track days, you might check and make sure they are releasing properly when you let up on the lever. No way they should be worn at 7k with normal use!

Yeah, it could be that the shop was just trying to sell you extra work too.

Back