Rebuilding the Mule

pack mule

formerly known as rtgt
Registered
Well, after my get off back in the summer I've been buying parts to put the bike back together. I've finally bought the last one so let the rebuild begin. Here are some pics of what it looked like after the wreck. The last one is how I've been riding it since then. I'm documenting the progress as I go along 004.jpg005.jpg006.jpg008.jpg009.jpg010.jpg007.jpg Keep watching for updates, hope to have it back together in a couple of weeks:please:

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

007.jpg

great to see you takeing the steps to freedom again lol

great to see you takeing the steps to freedom again lol

I haven't missed out on any riding, just riding a naked hayabusa. You wouldn't believe the people who want to race me not knowing what I'm riding. It's lost some punch down low because I've been riding with no mufflers but that should be fixed in a little while.

I did a few things already, I just didn't take any pictures. Both exhaust hangers were broken off, so I welded them back and painted them. In this picture I had just taken off the exhaust. I had modded the midpipe by gutting it and resleeved my muffler. I was mocking up how to make my header go into one single pipe. I had to use a sawsall to get the header off. It had flatten out the crossover and I couldn't get to the bolt.

007.jpg

Damn, what happened to that rear wheel??Looks like it was peeled open.

This was a slower speed accident. I was running about 30 mph when I lost the front tire in a curve. The bike slide across the other lane and down a 10 foot drop before stopping suddenly against a tree. If the tree didn't stop it, there would be no bike to put back together. On the other side of the tree was a hundred foot drop. This happened in the mountains on a backroad that I've rode many times. I picked up a used wheel a couple days after the accident with a near new tire for $80:thumbsup:

Why do you think you lost the front? Glad you are ok!

This was a slower speed accident. I was running about 30 mph when I lost the front tire in a curve. The bike slide across the other lane and down a 10 foot drop before stopping suddenly against a tree. If the tree didn't stop it, there would be no bike to put back together. On the other side of the tree was a hundred foot drop. This happened in the mountains on a backroad that I've rode many times. I picked up a used wheel a couple days after the accident with a near new tire for $80:thumbsup:

glad you are getting her put back together...looking forward to seeing you again when the weather gets better :beerchug:

Why do you think you lost the front? Glad you are ok!

Oh, you'll know when you loose the front. It simply turns loose and the bars seem to go away from you. Loosing the front on a corner is quite common. It's almost always due to improper throttle control at severe lean angles. Most common is not enough throttle to unload the front tire or no throttle at all (Coasting through the corner) which always overloads the front at deep lean angles.

Many riders who loose the front on corner exits are due to to much throttle. The rear tire spins up and the lose of rear traction quikly overloads the front. I've watched numerous riders lose the front by spining the rear (In this senario the front tire rarely pushes, it simply lets go) and they had no idea the culprit was actually the rear tire causing the front to give up traction!

Depending on the tire, air pressure, tire temperature, suspension settings and throttle (If all are working properly) you'll eventually begin to push the front vs the tire suddenly letting go as your lap times continue to decrease..

Well, finished the exhaust001.jpg
You can see where I had to cut it off the bike where it smacked the tree002.jpg
003.jpg
And the finally product installed with the midpipe polished out004.jpg

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

I like the naked look...seeing the parts and all...good luck on getting it back to the way you want it.

Back