Rearset Experience (Gilles, Vortex, Stock) Good & Bad

goblinsix

Registered
I just got my bike back from Greg at HPC and he did a marvelous job on my 2009. One of the things that I had him install was a Gilles rearset. The issue that I ran into with the Gilles versus the stock factory rearset was that my sitting position became very awkward. As Greg explained, the purpose of the rearset is to move your feet backwards and up in order to provide ground clearance. The problem for me is that I’m 6’0” and have really long legs. So it kind of hunches me up---even in the lowest and most forward position. The other thing is that in my Sidi race boots I have no problem locating the knuckles in a hurry. But in my 5.11 contractor boots I have a difficult time locating that knuckle in a hurry. Granted, the boots are clunky and hardly designed for precision motorcycle shifting/braking---but I wear them a lot.
So, I was wondering if anyone had any similar observations when swapping out their rearsets. Greg mentioned to me that I might be happier with a Vortex. I want something close to the stock position. I don’t want to be contorted backwards. My legs are just too long, and the sitting position for long rides could get a little challenging over time.

Also, if I swap these out I can make someone a great deal on a like-new set of Gilles for a GEN2 in the silver/titanium color. To be straight-up with everyone…I haven’t made the final decision yet…but if I do I’ll be happy to sell them to a forum member here after I get the new set and swap them out. I know GPW (Greg) and Sleeper_Red (Jesse) on the forum here and that can attest that I am square in my dealings with people.

So should I go Vortex? Go back to stock and get new pegs and a different lever? What would be the advice here? Greg has given me advice to maybe consider Vortex, but I need to get some opinions before I go spend the cash.

Thanks Gixer....good to know that I am not loosing my mind here. I know Greg set me straight on things, but I am not digging these Gilles. My legs are just too long.

I love the fully adjustable Vortex race sets. im 6'3" they allow me to move my foot position down and fwd for everyday riding.allowing my body to sit in a more natural postion

Thanks Marine...I appreciate it.

So the Vortex bottom & forward position is close to the stock rearset position? I just want to make sure. If you're 6'3" then it is probably fine for me as well.

John,

Two thoughts in that we have dealt with this same issue.

Sato makes a "drag race" version of their rearsets that lower your feet quite a bit. (1.5" I believe) These are different than their regular rearsets, so be careful if you order them that your getting the right ones. ( I assume there are a number of site sponsors that can get them for you) The other issue is I am uncertain if they will work with a conventional exhaust.

The other option, although more costly, is to take the components (brake and shifter) off of the rearsets and have custom backing plates made with your desired configuration.

We are going this route on a current project. It minimizes cost over a complete custom set and you don't have the compromise inherent with the limited choices. Not for everyone but....

Hope it helps

Gile

Gile,

Might be a good idea. Good points...maybe I could have the Gilles machined to move them forward and down about 1 to 2 inches....I did pay $475 for the darn things and would hate to take a huge loss on them.

JG

I'm kind of surprised that the adjustable set aren't able to be positioned the same as OE. From experience, for back roads we always adjusted the rear sets up and forward to position the rider more forward and add ground clearnace. For cruising or drag we always adjusted them down and back. Never tried up and back before. I would play around with different settings and see if you can find something comfortable.
If you simply wanted to add some leg room alot of people will just knock off the rubber on the OE pegs or swap on the ol' buell pegs.
Once you find a comfortable position for your feet then you can play adjust the shift lever and rear brake lever to a comfortable position. Some people like it in different their levers in different positions.

I have a set of Vortex on an 08 with a out of the box galfer ss line. I cannot use all of the adjustment holes because the aftermarket brake line won't allow it.

I do not know if all adjustment range would be available with a stock brake line.

Last edited:
Read your: "I have a set of Vortex on an 08 with a out of the box galfer ss line. I cannot use all of the adjustment holes because the aftermarket brake line won't allow it. I do not know if all adjustment range would be available with a stock brake line."

Any changes? Did the limit on the line ruin the Vortex? I have SS Galfer and on brink of buying Vortex: replace SSGalfer with how much more length? Thks --pmcdade@san.rr.com

Back