Rear Suspension Settings

ssgunny

Registered
My Rear Shock Settings Are...
Rebound (botton screw): 10 Clicks Out
Compression (top screw): 7 Clicks Out
And that's with two full revs more rear shock spring preload from stock factory adjustment.

L8R, Bill.
I posted this under Jinkster's thread but I have yet to get a response so will start a new one.
I have a question on the rear shock and what is quoted above. What is meant by 10 clicks "out" and 7 clicks "out"? I see "S-H" over the top of each screw which I guess would mean soft and hard?

If clicks "out" means turn the screw clockwise that is what I did.

Thanks,
John

Here is my follow on post.

I have looked at the manual and see the mention of turning the screws clockwise until they stop. I guess this would be the reference and then turn them back counterclockwise 7 clicks for the top and 10 for the bottom? If this is the case, Jinkster's settings are just one off from "standard" recommended in the manual.

If this is the case the way I have it currently it is completely maxed out. Any input?

Thanks,
John

Hey John, clicks out mean the number of clicks counterclockwise once the adjustment screw is turned clockwise until it bottoms out.

Turn the adjustment screw (Both Compression and Rebound) clockwise until you feel it bottom out. Be very careful stop as soon as you feel it reach the bottom. Excessive torque on the screw can damage the internal valve seat. Once it touches the bottom back it off just enough to feel the first click. From that point count the number of clicks as you turn it counter clockwise until you reach the desired "Clicks out"!

Thanks for the input guys. I started thinking that was the case.

The local shop is putting new fork springs in on MON. :)

Take care,
John

I don't think new fork springs are going to help you? :dunno:

Your bike comes stock with .85 springs which are pretty soft. If it's riding stiff, it's not your springs.

Cheers! :beerchug:

Correct, the factory originals are .85kg's and I am replacing them with 1.1kg's. I am a larger guy and I need to stiffen it up. This is also why I added more preload to the rear spring. This is all in an attempt to keep parts of the bike off the road during a turn. :)

Hi guys I am finding the rear suspension a little stiff for most of my solo riding really don t understand the manual is there a easy way to change rear settings I am happy with the front :thumbsup:

Hi guys I am finding the rear suspension a little stiff for most of my solo riding really don t understand the manual is there a easy way to change rear settings I am happy with the front :thumbsup:

You NEED to set the suspension sag.
If the front is great and the rear is bad, or vice versa, they both suffer.
If the rear is too stiff.
Back the nuts off to where you have about 3
Threads showing with nuts tight.
If you're 170-200 lbs, the compression and rebound may be about 12-18 turns out.
These are just ballpark settings.
They may help you get closer to proper sag. You'll have to measure to be sure.
What is your weight?
And where are you located?
One of us may be close to you, and can help you set the sag.
The suspension sag needs to be set with YOU the rider on it. Or someone weighing the same as you (plus any gear).
Either way, you need an extra set of hands.

Search thread called
Tufbusa, help

It has my sag settings for my gen2 with stock suspension.
I'm around 195lbs in full leathers.
If you're close to my weight, these settings may help get you close to proper sag (which still needs to be set correctly ).

I tried linking the above thread here, but can't from my phone.

Thanks sixpack I live in AUSTRALIA just a stone trow away :beerchug: these days I don t weigh much probably about same as you in gear so I am in the 170 200 pound range I have been getting stuck in to the owners manual and and starting to understand the adjustment procedure The tool for the rear preload nut is that in the tool kit or do I have to buy one ? :thumbsup:

Thanks sixpack I live in AUSTRALIA just a stone trow away :beerchug: these days I don t weigh much probably about same as you in gear so I am in the 170 200 pound range I have been getting stuck in to the owners manual and and starting to understand the adjustment procedure The tool for the rear preload nut is that in the tool kit or do I have to buy one ? :thumbsup:

You'll need to buy one...Unless there's a spanner wrench in there. My gen2 didn't come with one.
Yamaha sells an adjustable spanner wrench that is perfect.
I have one, but unfortunately cannot tell you where to find one.
Otherwise, you'll need a spanner the correct size, and I'm not sure what size it is.

Last edited:
Since we are close in weight, just use my settings(front and rear)in the other thread.
That should get you really close, and better handling, until you can get the sag set properly.

Also search
Jinkster attacks suspension

It's a great "how to" on setting sag on a gen1 Busa, which is done the same on a gen2(and most sportbikes)

Back