rear sprocket

topgun61

Registered
I was thinking of changing my rear sprocket to a 45 tooth instead of the stock 43 tooth, any suggestions. I already received my 43 tooth blue vortex cat5 sprocket, but I was wondering being app 210lbs and my friend is app 175lbs with the same 08 busa if changing the rear sprocket would help me, just wondering if I should send the 43 tooth sprocket back to 58 cycle for and exchange or change the front sprocket, but I'm afraid of the after market sprocket being more noisier without the rubber like the stocker, any advise in this matter would be helpful, thanks, Mike...

I've heard the cat5 sprocket is as soft as butter. Better to go with the vortex hard coat instead.

the thing is a busa comes with 40 tooth oem not 43 i could be wrong  and 43 kicks ass for that matter anything bigger is pointless youll lose alot of top end and end up wheeling too much.

i have a vortex great sprocket.

A 45 might need a longer chain. Dunno, but a 43 is a bigger kick then most expect. I run a 42. And it eats more fuel now.

Just seen the post above. 2 extra teeth for a 08 sounds like a good starting point. No chain length adjustment needed.

my 07 was 40t stock. Put a 45t on with 330 kit. What a kick...bit to much. The 45t would tac 5000 at 75mph on the highway. Just went down to 43t steel Driven sprocket. No chance to ride it yet with the 43t.

Just go 1 down in front its the same as 2 1/2 up inthe rear and cheaper

I have a 08 busa with the stock 43 tooth sprocket. If I go 2 up on the rear to a 45 how much top end would i lose? Could I still hit the 186mph limit or would it top out at a lower speed?

I have a 08 busa with the stock 43 tooth sprocket. If I go 2 up on the rear to a 45 how much top end would i lose? Could I still hit the 186mph limit or would it top out at a lower speed?
Here's an awesome website. Obviously its theortical and doesn't account for friction loss, but it's still an awesome tool
winkold.gif

http://www.gearingcommander.com/

But to answer your question it would top out at a lower speed because the limiter works off the rpm not the speedo.

Ah crap, the website doesn't have an '08 Busa preset yet.  But you can still use the '99-'04 and change the front to a 18t and the rear to the 45t.

If anyone has dyno'd their '08, get on the website and send it to them so there'll be an '08 preset  
winkold.gif

I have a Vortex Cat5 43t sprocket on Gen 1 Busa...1,000 miles and no abnormal (soft as butter) wear yet. I'm not a 1/4 mile drag racer but I certainly don't ride like grandma!

Cat5RR_red_L.jpg

winkold.gif

That's why I used the word "heard"

I figured there would be some agreement or a heck naw
beerchug.gif

zzwhip.gif
PM -->
Charlesbusa @ Mar. 22 2008 said:
1345173[/ATTACH] PM]
winkold.gif

beerchug.gif
Ah-hah! Thought that would promote a response from you Charles...I'm such a salesman.
laugh.gif

I think it was a vendor that said that to me. Sometimes there is some truth, sometimes not
banghead.gif

But you got me. I guess I'm
corner2.png

Where I'm gonna watch the WSBK Losail race
firedevil.gif

Good night
lurk.gif

zzwhip.gif

zzwhip.gif
PM -->
Charlesbusa @ Mar. 22 2008 said:
1345182[/ATTACH] PM]
winkold.gif

beerchug.gif
Ah-hah! Thought that would promote a response from you Charles...I'm such a salesman.
laugh.gif

I think it was a vendor that said that to me.  Sometimes there is some truth, sometimes not  
banghead.gif

But you got me.  I guess I'm    
corner2.png

Where I'm gonna watch the WSBK Losail race  
firedevil.gif

Good night  
lurk.gif
Headin' off myself I'll report back in another 1,000 miles.

zzwhip.gif

zzwhip.gif
PM -->
topgun61 @ Mar. 22 2008 said:
1345191[/ATTACH] PM]
I was thinking of changing my rear sprocket to a 45 tooth instead of the stock 43 tooth, any suggestions. I already received my 43 tooth blue vortex cat5 sprocket, but I was wondering being app 210lbs and my friend is app 175lbs with the same 08 busa if changing the rear sprocket would help me, just wondering if I should send the 43 tooth sprocket back to 58 cycle for and exchange or change the front sprocket, but I'm afraid of the after market sprocket being more noisier without the rubber like the stocker, any advise in this matter would be helpful, thanks, Mike...
I went one tooth down in front and it made a nice diff in acceleration without hurting highway cruising. 1 down in front is equal to (approximately) 3 up in back. The extra noise up front isn't bad, and you get used to it so quick that within a couple of rides you won't hear it anymore. If you could tho, I'd suggest you go 3 up in back if the stock chain will allow it, cause 1 down in front eats up alot of your chain adjustment range  
winkold.gif
And steel sprockets are the only way to go on these big bikes  
thumb_up.gif

zzwhip.gif

I also use a Vortex Cat5 with no abnormal wear. have used a 43,42, and currently a 39. Going back to the 42 for the bash.

Back