Rear seat

RedBusarider

Registered
I put my rear seat on the bike and it made the normal click and locked on.
When I went to take it off later it would not move. The key goes in and turns fine but the seat can't be lifted up.
Has anyone else ever had this problem?
What's the fix?
HELP!

Jiggle it back and forth with the key turned have someone hold the key and fidget with it while you try to loosen it with 2 hands, anything under the seat area that it could have jammed on?

Be patient, someone will chime in. I know there is a way to get off, just dont remember.

Did you happen to release the latch while the seat was removed?

Sounds like your cable came loose at one of the latch points. I would suggest removeing the Push pins from underneath the cowl and trygetting a grab toolto stick up the and try and release the latch that is about the only way you can unlatch the seat or the solo cowl if something got loose

As far as I can tell the cable at the seat latch came undone.
The cable is connected at the key latch and moves when the key is turned. I took the pins and all the screws that I could get to, off.
I even took the Tail light lens off. But I don't know if I can take the reflector off without breaking it. I tried sticking a rod down towards the latch area trying to move the latch release with it but no luck. I'm not sure if it (the latch release) is below the plate that the latch sits on. I looked in the service manual and can't tell from their views if it is lower. My paper work is under there, so I really shouldn't ride because if I got stopped I wouldn't be able to give it to them. I may be forced to cut the rear seat up and buy a new one.
I would post pictures but there is nothing to see right now.
Any advice would be helpful. Could anyone photograph their latch area showing the release area really well?

I just called and a new rear seat is $170.00 !!!

HELP

I had the same problem once. A kind soul sent me the photos with the instructions which I have attached with this post. I managed to push the latch open with my buddy's help (he is forcing the rear seat up while I stick a long screwdriver in from the side)

Attachments

• How_to_remove_rear_seat_without_using_keys.doc
    142.5 KB · Views: 254
I unfortunately have had the tail off and when reinstalling forgotten to hook the cable back in its place (twice). What I did was to lift up on the seat, (1st time)hump,(2nd time) and bend a coat hanger in to get to the latch. It takes 2 people if working from the right side and the seat pulled up high enough and with a mag lite you can see somewhat what you are doing. Thats been the only answer to my brain farts that I could come up with. Hope it helps and good luck. Mike

Thank You All especially WORMZ & CEREBUSA!
I did it my myself after seeing where I had to put the screwdriver. I had a piece of floor moulding that I was cut with a 45 degrees angle & about 2 foot long. I used that as a pry bar then I looked with a mag light and found my target.
A good push and it popped off. No real damage to the seat.
Thanks again you saved me $170.
Now I wondering if I should put a little glue so that can't happen again.
Have a great day, Mine just got better!
Thanks again!

Thank You All especially WORMZ & CEREBUSA!
I did it my myself after seeing where I had to put the screwdriver. I had a piece of floor moulding that was cut with a 45 degrees angle & about 2 foot long. I used that as a pry bar then I looked with a mag light and found my target.
A good push and it popped off. No real damage to the seat.
Thanks again you saved me $170.
Now I'm wondering if I should put a little glue so that can't happen again.
Have a great day, Mine just got better!
Thanks again!

Back