rear ride height adjustment fixed or adjustable?

btucker

Registered
Have'nt picked up my new '08 busa until next week so I can't look under the belly. Question: on the stock rear shock is there any adjustment for changing the ride height? or is it fixed?

Thanks

Byron

I believe the Gen II shock is very similar to the Gen I, ride height changes will be minimal. You will need to get you some dog bones or soupys links to change the height, like 1 to 2 inches. Soupys will give you custom control that the dog bones wont give. Welcome to the oRg!

Welcome to the Org! There are a ton of options for just about anything you could be thinking! We have a ton of awesome sponsors and the "search" function will pull a multitude of info on mods - including altering the ride height. Search for "lowering" or "link" (as in lowering links) and you should find what you're looking for. I have my front lowered 1.5" with a set of spacers I made myself and lowered the rear with a set of "dogbones" (lowering links) I also made.

Try the link below to answer any questions you may have around general Board related questions.

New Owners Forum - Hayabusa.oRg

Last edited:
thanks guys, I was hoping there was a screw-out bottom that connects to the swingarm linkage but doesn't sound like they did that. I don't want to drop the front-end to do it for clearance issues when heavy braking, longer bones will change the leverage ratio, so most likely a aftermarket racing shock that has tha adjustment built in is the way to go. I just know this thing will have slow steering like all heavy long bikes and jacking up the rear is the fix for slow steering...standard way to go with all my past racing bikes.

Thanks for the info, I'll check all the threads incase I missed something...thanks for the welcome!!

thanks guys, I was hoping there was a screw-out bottom that connects to the swingarm linkage but doesn't sound like they did that. I don't want to drop the front-end to do it for clearance issues when heavy braking, longer bones will change the leverage ratio, so most likely a aftermarket racing shock that has tha adjustment built in is the way to go. I just know this thing will have slow steering like all heavy long bikes and jacking up the rear is the fix for slow steering...standard way to go with all my past racing bikes.

Thanks for the info, I'll check all the threads incase I missed something...thanks for the welcome!!

Are you asking about ride height, or ride dampening. in yourb main question you are asking about ride height and then you are talking about adjustment of the rear shock. Ride height is adjustable with the linkage commonly referred to as the dog bones. The shocks on the bike adjust the ride stiffness, or "sag". You may get VERY very little to none as stated earlier when adjusting the shock.

If one was to install a set of adjustable dog bones, one would not need to drop the front, just support the bike and take the weight off the rear axle, after installation one just needs to adjust with a wrench or two to desired height. Without the purchase of adjustable lowering links, one is stuck with gradual options usually 2" and 4" lowered. There is also the option of air ride suspension for height adjustment.

Last edited:
Are you asking about ride height, or ride dampening.

Thanks for the reply, but I'm talking ride height, true you can adjust it several ways, but switching out dog bones with longer ones changes the linkage ratio requiring a different valving in the shock to compensate. I'm talking for the purpose of aggressive street or track riding. Changing ride height in setting up a road racer is usually achieved by a rear shock with an adjustable lower shock bracket (the "u" shaped bracket that fits over the linkage) you then can screw that bracket in and out to raise or lower the rear of the chassis as much as 2 inches. Anything more than that you are right , you would be into making big changes to the linkage and suspension settings because the longer leverage would over power the stock valving. This adjustment (on the shock) wouldn't change your static sag...just raise it.
Since the forks are attached to the frame you just jacked up only in the rear, it effectively tucks the forks in (reducing the rake of the forks) tighter rake makes the bike turn quicker. Most racing shocks have this adjustment, I was wondering if the stock shock has it...sounds like it doesn't.

the 2 spinner nuts on the rear spring will slightly change the ride height but it will also change the sag of the spring as well wich will effect your suspension greatly...use dog bones or even better use adjustable links to raise or lower it most of not all of our sponsors sell them...soupys are real nice and adjust with just a box end wrench, no jacking up or muffing around when you want to adjust just turn while it sits on the ground

yeah, cranking on the spring pre-load will screw the sag. I'll check on the linkages, maybe they have stuff that won't require revalving the shock...cheaper fix than a new shock I'd imagine.

Just checked out Soupy's and others. All seem to shorten the linkage to lower the bike for drags...I need the opposite.

I think you may be slightly misdirected. You will need dog bones or soupys links to lower your bike. They do make 1" rise dog bones if you are looking to raise your ride height. No matter how you raise it, raising the bike will change the suspension geometry and allow for "quicker" turn in. By the way, the shorter the link the higher the bike will be, the longer the link, the lower the bike will be. Hope this helps.

I ran the +1" links on my 08. They made a great amount difference on track manners. Great mod, especially for $20.

By the way, the shorter the link the higher the bike will be, the longer the link, the lower the bike will be. Hope this helps.[/QUOTE]

You're right, looked at the photo, exact opposite on my 1100 Gixxer, you would raise it with long bones...then again I had a non-stock swingarm on it and bones from FOX were special made for the shock.

Back