Gen II noob here.....anyone have stock gen II ride height measurements?

ZXALAN

Registered
I just picked up a low mile 14’ 50th anniversary, the bike was lowered when I got it. It had adjustable lowering links (turn style) and a Chinese top clamp.

I raised the rear back up as high as it would go with the adjustable links and I put a stock top tree clamp back on it and adjusted the tubes up until they just touched the stock clamp.

The steering still feels a little weird to me, and I’m questioning if the rear is fully back at stock height or if it’s a tad lower.

So does anyone have any type of measurements off of a bone stock bike that I can compare too?

Maybe the oem dog bone center to center length, or tail light to ground when standing up or something ?

Also on the front, maybe a gap measurement between the front fender and bottom of the upper cowl?

Anything will help. I appreciate any feed back.

Sorry for the noob questions.... I did search but didn’t find any exact measurements for a Gen II, only Gen I.

Current ride height for reference...
91BEBEE8-5072-4B59-9E0C-07FCAA685C43.jpeg

Start searching and reading about suspension sag.
Youtube Dave Moss.

I forget the spec on fork height above the upper triple clamp, but around an 8th of an inch is a good ballpark number.
I had a fella take a measurement on his stock 15’ and the forks were 6mm above the triple tree. Just enough to bottom out in the stock tree clamp apparently. So I set mine up like that.

Still getting mixed info on the rear ride height/dog bone lengths.

Some say 4.6”, some say 4.7” center to center length on the dog bones.

Still haven’t got a good hard number yet.

I’m close to stock height but I think the read may be 1/4” low....or so.

I had a fella take a measurement on his stock 15’ and the forks were 6mm above the triple tree. Just enough to bottom out in the stock tree clamp apparently. So I set mine up like that.

Raising the rear will help with handling, corner tip-in will be quicker and take less effort.

This is from my spare parts stash. Pretty much 4 3/4 dead on from center to center of the two bolts.

A851C910-13FD-4FDD-BA9F-F562FA4B4F94.jpeg

Last edited:
This is from my spare parts stash. Pretty much 4 3/4 dead on from center to center of the two bolts.

View attachment 1652895
Thanks for the pic and measurement man!

I did some measuring today too. Only mine was on an old Gen I dog bone..

I even slid it on the Gen II over the adjustable links and it went right on.

Now I’m questioning if the Gen I dog bones are the same length as Gen IIs.

Looks like your gen II dog bone may be a smidge longer...

F54BE28F-E2C8-4F33-8836-B98A7CB1AE70.jpeg

48E96A3F-883E-4719-AEEB-D77A26A56129.jpeg

93172D7B-2C60-47FF-B99A-8266679874D3.jpeg

Thanks for the pic and measurement man!
I did some measuring today too. Only mine was on an old Gen I dog bone..

I even slid it on the Gen II over the adjustable links and it went right on.

Now I’m questioning if the Gen I dog bones are the same length as Gen IIs.

Looks like your gen II dog bone may be a smidge longer...

View attachment 1652922

View attachment 1652923

View attachment 1652924
You are welcome! They have same number stamped though.

Edit: just checked the oem parts list and both generations use the same dog bones. See item #13 on the pics. One is parts list for a 2006 and the other a 2015 model.

1AEBD244-FED2-4DCB-B932-A3B7CDF78C76.png

881F1F45-EED8-4B47-A836-27BF48AD6D10.png

Just assume so your suspension has been screwed up. assume your rear shock preload and high and low speed and rebound are all out just go back to the stock settings, First set up rider weight with preload front forks and rear first thing. if you dont know about suspension tunning take it to someone who is experienced

Just assume so your suspension has been screwed up. assume your rear shock preload and high and low speed and rebound are all out just go back to the stock settings, First set up rider weight with preload front forks and rear first thing. if you dont know about suspension tunning take it to someone who is experienced
Yeah I’m gonna set the sag and make sure the settings are all still stock. The bike only has 2182 miles on it and my buddy bought it new, he wouldn’t know how to adjust anything on the suspension anyway. He just lowered it because he is short.

I have only ridden the bike about 7 miles since I got it. I’ve been fixing stuff and putting it back to how it should be.

Just got the rear sets reinstalled after painting them satin black to match the frame.

I plan on my first real ride this week, then adjust suspension from there.

Waiting on my ZG DB windscreen to get here and I’ll pretty much be set for a good long ride. All maintenance and detail work is now done.

62B4E755-8475-43BB-AAD5-A37C6E773D6E.jpeg

B909575E-41F5-4735-97DE-98B3A7BFA1C7.jpeg

Back