Adjust "firmness" on stock rear shock

MES392

Registered
I have a K8 busa that is stretched 6 and lowered about 3" all around. I have no issues riding alone as far as clearance but when the wife hops on and we hit a bump in the rode the tail will slightly hit the back tire.

I know i can get air ride to fix this problem which is what i planned on but money got a little tighter than expected unfortunately.

A side from raisinig the bike I was hoping I could just adjust the firmness of the stock shock, not necessarily the prelode. If I'm sitting on the bike on the left side under the belly, is this where the adjustment screw is to firm it up to see if this fixes the problem?

Thanks in advance,

Eric

You can send your stock shock away and have a heavier spring for your weight and stretch or you can buy one already done. I have a 6" stretch and had the same issues as yourself. Ordered a reconditioned shock for my 02 with a heavier spring through Coud Nine Motorsports. Nice firm ride now for my stretch, no bottoming out, and it comes out of the hole a lot fasterfasterfaster :)::laugh:

Check out or search for this thread "Jinkster attacks suspension"
He shows how to set your sag, and adjust preload, ect. The thread focuses on stock length bikes, but it will give you a better understanding of what's going on and how to make proper adjustments. The problem you're having is common for streched bikes with passenger.:beerchug:

just like on a non stretched bike you should adjust the preload to compensate for passenger weight.

Yes, it'll jack the rear up but only when it's unloaded.

Adding preload will not make your shock stiffer nor will it compensate for load. When you crank in preload it pushes against the spring and raises the rear subframe. Adding preload DOES NOT compress the spring. This will raise the bike a few MM and add additional seperation between the tire and undertail. In essence, raise the rear back up a little.

There are other issues which should be considered when adjusting Preload. To add preload thinking it will compensate for weight is incorrect.

The best you can do to avoid the tire making contact with the undertail would be to add compression. That adjustment is the top adjustment screw on the shock. By adding compression it slows the compression travel down so the spring don't take the brunt of the load when bumps are encountered.

If you add Preload the key is not to add enough to top the shock out to the point there is no free sag left. My rule of thumb is to have 5-10 MM of free sag once the Preload is set.

The only way to properly address your clearance problem is with a heavier spring. Keep in mind, adding a heavier spring may create an entirely new set of issues by overwhelming your stock valving.

to add compression is that adjustment screw on the left side of the bike if your sitting on it?

Back