Rear Brake Problem

Thinker62

Donating Member
Registered
When I step on the rear brake, it engages fine, but the lever stays down and the brake stays engaged to some degree. I basically have to lift the pedal with my foot in order to get free motion of the rear wheel.

Anyone know what would cause this, and the solution?

Thinker

damn thats a wierd problem. Doesnt the rear brake have a spring that pushes it back into place?

Try bleeding the rear brake line first. Also, clean and lube everything, maybe some dirt or corrosion is causing some sticking on the lever.

Sounds like it needs cleaning, the caliper and the pedal. Either way, dont ride the bike till you fix it

Mike

rear brake?? what's that?? you need one of those
tounge.gif

That's weird........ While were on the subject I noticed the other day my fluid level for the rear brake was low! Not exactly sure how this could be as there is no signs of an obvious leak anywhere. But, this condition did make my brake behave funny.........

I'm surprised to see this the first time here. If you go check on 200mph.uk.org site a guy by the handle of Eggster has detailed how to fix this. The brake pedal and the shifter both should be removed once in a while and lubed. It is fairly easy to remove them, the shifter is just a pinch bolt and the brake pedal just a clip. Remove them completely and clean and re grease.

I'm surprised to see this the first time here.  If you go check on 200mph.uk.org site a guy by the handle of Eggster has detailed how to fix this.  The brake pedal and the shifter both should be removed once in a while and lubed.  It is fairly easy to remove them, the shifter is just a pinch bolt and the brake pedal just a clip.  Remove them completely and clean and re grease.
Thanks for the tip.............

Thinker...right behind the right heel guard is the rear brake master cylinder...kinda below that are two springs that control the rebound on the brake pedal...check to make sure they are both still there and that they haven't changed position. (actually one of the springs is for the brake switch) but the other big one is for the pedal rebound.

Ks, The brake fluid level will fall as your rear pads wear out. It is normal. The pads and pistons in the calipers ride closer to the disk when the brake pad lining is thin. The "missing" fluid is behind the pistons in the calipers and it has not leaked out. Are your pad needing replacing? When you compress the pistons back into the calipers when replacing the pads, be careful that the reserviour doesn't overflow all over your clean machine. I had this happen once when I used to top off the fluid regularly. When I replaced the pads, I forgot to remove some of the fluid. Now I use the fluid level to judge the wear on the pads (provided there are no visible leaks).

Another good idea is to completely replace the brake fluid with fresh (Dry) fluid by emptying the reserviour and filling it with new fluid. Then pump the new fluid into the calipers and out the bleeder nipple until clear fluid comes out. This method will not introduce air bubbles into the lines that have to be bled out....unless you forget to watch the reserviour while pumping. Speed bleeders make this a quick job too. DOT4 and DOT 5.1 are OK. DOT5 - silicone based will eat your seals and cause leaks. I use DOT 4 with no problems and it is 1/4th the cost of 5.1. There is a small difference in boiling point between these two, insignificant if you are not racing on a track.

Check the spring thats on the rear brake lever, make sure it's still connected. You might also want to make sure it's properly lubed. Let us know what up after you've fixed the problem.

Back