Rear brake lockup

MikesGSX1300RK9

Registered
I ride my Busa to work on a DAILY basis, since becoming unemployed then finding a new job (at a 50% pay cut) earlier this year.

Today, had the rear lockup on me on cold tires on the way home from work. Seems like the pads (both front and rear brakes) are slick for the first couple of stops in the morning or while returning home from work. I've noticed uneven braking on the fronts first thing in the morning, and have started to ride the brakes just a bit to wear through the glaze in the morning. Nearly was caught by total surprise this afternoon. Would have been a lowside at slow speed with rear wheel lockup right when I began to slow to initiate a left turn.

Are there any pads that are less susceptible to becoming slick after sitting out all day? Is this a common issue?

Thanks in advance.

4000 trouble free miles so far... been riding her to work every day since March. Truck doesn't know what to do, sitting in the parking lot all day.

You probably don't have a brake issue, but a rider issue. I've locked the rear up a number of times myself but easily corrected the problem I caused by easing off the rear brake or pulling the clutch in. Cold or worn tires can make it easier to do along with bad road surface conditions, but the rider is responsible for correcting his input based on all these things and when he makes an error, he is responsible for correcting that.

If you believe you have glazed pads (And apparently you do) remove the pads and rub them vigorously on a clean flat concrete surface. This will take any glaze off the surface of the pad. Also Clean the rotor with electrical contact cleaner. I have used this method successfully on many occasions and it works well.

I have a feeling Dadofthree is onto the real issue. Tires, cold temperatures, air pressure could all have a finger in the root reason you loose traction along with poor application of the brake. Brake pads must warm up just like the tire to function at their best.

Even in cold weather the front brake should be your primary source of braking. Although the rear brake should provide assistance with a light touch any time traction becomes an issue.

Only happened to me a couple of times, on a steep street, braking with engine and apply more pressure to the rear brake, i think this was my error. :whistle:

Thanks, y'all. I've paid attention to technique. Think I just hit some sand last month... no biggie. Have had the bike serviced and pads are OK now. Making darn sure to keep cleaners (hmmm... PLEDGE, anyone) well away from the wheels (apply to rag, not to bike), and just take it easy for the first couple minutes of riding to/from work each day.

Regarding the question whether the rear sets were powder coated; Curious why you ask about this? I just Had Front and rear sets powder coated and had to make some rear brake adjustment. Any insight?

When the parts are prepped, a lot of shops glass bead them, witch make the tolerances much tighter, thus cause the brake lever to hang up!
Regarding the question whether the rear sets were powder coated; Curious why you ask about this? I just Had Front and rear sets powder coated and had to make some rear brake adjustment. Any insight?

Back