rear axle castle nut

BanditKing

Registered
does it matter which side it's on?

i know it's goes on the right side of the bike, but can the axle pin/bolt be flipped around so that the castle nut goes on the left side of the bike? is there as issue with doing this??
???

Is seems that it would be easier if the nut is on the right side if using a side stand. The adjuster blocks seem like they would swap sides and the axle does not rotate so the right hand nut should be ok...(72.5 ft lbs from what I recall)

I prefer it on the left side so I can get the axle thru the brake support bracket first...the spocket side is easier to line up IMO.

Rich
Posted via Mobile Device

I prefer it on the left side so I can get the axle thru the brake support bracket first...the spocket side is easier to line up IMO.

Rich
Posted via Mobile Device

Thats a damn fine idea.

:beerchug:

cheers
ken

I use right side for the nut

If you tighten the nut ,on the right ,you will have a movement towards the chain tightener (spanner)

On the left side ,torque when tightening will go backwards ,so the chain may be tightend more than you want.

Why ya wanna swap it?

i thought it would "cleaner" with the smooth axle end cap being on the side that's usually "presented" (the kickstand side usually being the side that's not photographed as it's angled towards the ground)

B-12: you make an interesting point. I wonder how much movement might actually occur ???

B-12: you make an interesting point. I wonder how much movement might actually occur ???

take an extension, screw driver shaft, or whatver you got thats smooth and bind the chain forward then tighten the axle. most will do this regardless of what side the nut is on.

does anyone know the thread pattern/diameter for the 2008+ axle nut? i could use a new axle and nut, mine are pretty beat up.

Back