Can't get front axle nut off.

Schirm94M

Registered
So I have read the forums about taking the front tire off and for the life of me I can't get the front axle nut off my 2002 Hayabusa. I bought one of those tools that have been suggested on here to fit the axle nut, but when I attached a breaker bar it broke. I put all of my 240 pounds into it and it didn't budge. I removed the right side pinch bolts and left the left side pinch bolts alone.

Try heating it with a propane or map gas torch.
You may need to use an impact wrench...and likely buy a new axle and nut, as the threads may be damaged.
The axle nut torque is 72 foot pounds, and easy to over tighten.
Is the wheel hard to spin?
If it is, then the excess side load could have damaged the wheel bearings as well.

fix-tools.jpg

Heat may well do the trick. Years ago I couldn’t remove a fork stud at the end of the right fork on my 79 CBX. Tried two nuts against each other but no go. It was a steel stud and it had tightened into the aluminum fork. Not having anything I could heat it with, I boiled some water, filled a bucket with that boiling water and placed the fork into it. Took about 2-3 minutes and the stud came right out with undamaged threads or blemishes. :)

Heat may well do the trick. Years ago I couldn’t remove a fork stud at the end of the right fork on my 79 CBX. Tried two nuts against each other but no go. It was a steel stud and it had tightened into the aluminum fork. Not having anything I could heat it with, I boiled some water, filled a bucket with that boiling water and placed the fork into it. Took about 2-3 minutes and the stud came right out with undamaged threads or blemishes. :)
I recently picked up a really good heat gun for those "just in case moments" that I don't want to have fire near anything...

The boiling water idea sounds like a smart thing....I've seen people use soldering irons too...

Back