Gen 1 front axle

mjn

Hillbilly Deluxe
Donating Member
Registered
Ok... I keep getting different opinions on this, so I'm gonna throw it out to all of you. (So I can get a ton more differing opinions! :laugh: )

I'm on my 7th set of skins (16500 miles) and for the last 4 sets, I've been doing the wheel removal/replacement on my own. I had the "nut" on the wrong side last time I put it back together.. but this time, I've got it on the correct side;

The "bolt" (the axle itself) goes in from the throttle side, so the "nut" goes in on the clutch side.

I have only one spacer. For the rotors to line up, the spacer goes on the clutch side.. before I put the nut on. I've seen several pics where the nut is flush with the fork bottom.. so that's what I did.. but this leaves the "nut" sticking out roughly a quarter inch. Ironically, about the same thickness as the spacer behind it.
There is NO slop. I lined up everything..then tighened the pinch bolts on the "nut" side, then I torqued down the axle (bolt) into it. Once that was done, I loosened the pinch bolts again to make sure everything rolled smoothly.. it does. Pinch bolts all tightened..good to go. I've put almost 1K on it since then, so I know it's safe.. but I've been told the "nut" isn't supposed to stick out.

I say, that it's physically impossible for it NOT to. Unless the spacer is removed. Am I not supposed to have a spacer?

Help me out here.. I think BABUSA and Dr E are full of poop. :laugh:

I would have to agree with you...but then we both would be wrong! Let's get together one night this week and go over the axle together and we can get her straightened out!

Back