rear 190/55 r17?

Hello mates,

Just a wild thought of using Dunlop's Mutant as my Battlax S22 will be soon too worn.
So the question is, will I invalidate any of Suzuki's limitations and specifications if using 190/55 r17 for the rear wheel?
I read the drawbacks regarding mileage, also the trade-offs about cornering, but will I anyway WORSEN the bike's grip and safety?

I happened starting riding in 2022 with a Kawasaki Versys 650 for which I had ordered Mutant, then I rode under the most adverse conditions, including emergency break under dense hail (a taxi driver...), no issues!

That's why, but again perhaps it is too risky to put a tire destined for adventure to a sport bike...?

I am beginner, so my questions sound naïve.

rgds

Hello mates,

Just a wild thought of using Dunlop's Mutant as my Battlax S22 will be soon too worn.
So the question is, will I invalidate any of Suzuki's limitations and specifications if using 190/55 r17 for the rear wheel?
I read the drawbacks regarding mileage, also the trade-offs about cornering, but will I anyway WORSEN the bike's grip and safety?

I happened starting riding in 2022 with a Kawasaki Versys 650 for which I had ordered Mutant, then I rode under the most adverse conditions, including emergency break under dense hail (a taxi driver...), no issues!

That's why, but again perhaps it is too risky to put a tire destined for adventure to a sport bike...?

I am beginner, so my questions sound naïve.

rgds
I would say more than half the people on this forum use 190/55/17 rear tires, myself included with zero issues...

They give a little faster turn in, mileage is not affected and the grip and safety is the exact same as an OEM size....it's just a little taller is all....

Your choice of tire comes into question...the Dunlop Mutant is not really a good tire for a heavy, powerful bike like the Hayabusa, you will find you will wear that tire off in no time and it's not rated for the speeds a Hayabusa is capable of....

There's a reason tire manufacturers designed the "hyper bike" tire for these bikes.....they are heavy, high torque and generate a lot of heat in the tires when worked even moderately hard.

If it were me, I'd avoid that tire....

I would say more than half the people on this forum use 190/55/17 rear tires, myself included with zero issues...

They give a little faster turn in, mileage is not affected and the grip and safety is the exact same as an OEM size....it's just a little taller is all....

Your choice of tire comes into question...the Dunlop Mutant is not really a good tire for a heavy, powerful bike like the Hayabusa, you will find you will wear that tire off in no time and it's not rated for the speeds a Hayabusa is capable of....

There's a reason tire manufacturers designed the "hyper bike" tire for these bikes.....they are heavy, high torque and generate a lot of heat in the tires when worked even moderately hard.

If it were me, I'd avoid that tire....
Well the Mutants are certified for over 270 km/h a speed I am not going to achieve anyway, but your argument about weight is interesting: Mutant (rear) has 75W whereas my current Battlax S22 73W.
Am I reading these data wrong? https://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/load-and-speed-indexes-moto-advice.html

Well the Mutants are certified for over 270 km/h a speed I am not going to achieve anyway, but your argument about weight is interesting: Mutant (rear) has 75W whereas my current Battlax S22 73W.
Am I reading these data wrong? https://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/load-and-speed-indexes-moto-advice.html
You will find everyone here will have a differing opinion on tires.....

I have searched and have found that Delboy's have installed them on his project bike...would I install them on my bike.......nope but that's me.

I say your mind is already made up so go for it

You will find everyone here will have a differing opinion on tires.....

I have searched and have found that Delboy's have installed them on his project bike...would I install them on my bike.......nope but that's me.

I say your mind is already made up so go for it

Nope, I just try learning the most of it, eventually by grasping all technical data justifying the consequences, but again, a deviation from standard practice is always reason for concern. Good to see there is a video, I will watch it to seek more :-) thanks a lot

Nope, I just try learning the most of it, eventually by grasping all technical data justifying the consequences, but again, a deviation from standard practice is always reason for concern. Good to see there is a video, I will watch it to seek more :-) thanks a lot
He doesn't say much about the tires and how they work on his bike just that he is installing them on a (sort of) Hayabusa.

I'd say you would be one of the few who would run these tires on a Hayabusa....

Maybe you'll have good luck with them.

The Sportmax Mutants might be better as they are for the bigger supermoto bikes...

Remember the Hayabusa runs more than 100ft lbs of torque....that's more than twice what your 650 ran and quite a bit more than even a liter bike...

It's the torque that eats tires up and that torque is accessed every time you open the throttle leaving a stop....

The Sportmax Mutants might be better as they are for the bigger supermoto bikes...

Remember the Hayabusa runs more than 100ft lbs of torque....that's more than twice what your 650 ran and quite a bit more than even a liter bike...

It's the torque that eats tires up and that torque is accessed every time you open the throttle leaving a stop....
Dead right, that's why I sent him an e-mail asking for feedback, after three years... Somebody must have ridden that busa, let's see. I will post here the reply, if he does agree.

I see that he had his MOT straight after putting the Dunlops:

1712840150911.png

A bike doing not very long journeys... not much of a chance about tires' feedback I am afraid...
I think going to this tire would be an experiment.....one pretty much only for yourself as I don't see many others going to this type of tire..

I personally think the weight and torque of the Hayabusa will eat this tire up pretty quickly but I may be wrong.....

I think going to this tire would be an experiment.....one pretty much only for yourself as I don't see many others going to this type of tire..

I personally think the weight and torque of the Hayabusa will eat this tire up pretty quickly but I may be wrong.....
By the looks of it (no feedback), a failed experiment.
I better get the Continental Conti-Sportattack 4, as most buyers give high ratings for dry and wet.

By the looks of it (no feedback), a failed experiment.
I better get the Continental Conti-Sportattack 4, as most buyers give high ratings for dry and wet.
A tire discussion ranks up there with the oil, chain, sprocket, seat, windshield, etc debacles.......

You can get 10 people with 10 differing opinions.....

I personally went from Bridgestone S21Rs to Michelin PR5s to Bridgestone S22Rs.....

A tire discussion ranks up there with the oil, chain, sprocket, seat, windshield, etc debacles.......

You can get 10 people with 10 differing opinions.....

I personally went from Bridgestone S21Rs to Michelin PR5s to Bridgestone S22Rs.....
Sure, and who knows, one may change riding style throughout the time, so the choice of 2021 might not be suitable for 2023 and so on. But asking different people may help preventing the terribly wrong, as long as I keep my brain matter alive :-) One thing I know is that I ride enough in wet.

I'm just waiting for Forum reviews of the S23. I've been amazed how much I like the S22s that came with the bike.
I also can't believe that Bridgestone sells two completely different tires both named Battlax 23 (wtf?) The Hypersport S23 is the one I'm interested in, but no reviews yet even on RevZilla.

* the other one that's been out a few years is the Battlax BT-023 Sport Touring.

** I guess the misspelling is something that never registered before. But now that I see it, the tire seems to be named after some kind of flying rodent laxative. I was going to buy a tire pen and white out the name but maybe not now...

Last edited:
I'm just waiting for Forum reviews of the S23. I've been amazed how much I like the S22s that came with the bike.
I also can't believe that Bridgestone sells two completely different tires both named S23 (wtf?) The Hypersport S23 is the one I'm interested in, but no reviews yet even on RevZilla.
Not very available in Europe yet....
Regarding product names, keep in mind that production and marketing are different people, usually fighting each other... :-)

I also can't believe that Bridgestone sells two completely different tires both named Battlax 23 (wtf?) The Hypersport S23 is the one I'm interested in, but no reviews yet even on RevZilla.

* the other one that's been out a few years is the Battlax BT-023 Sport Touring.
That's kind of why I went with the S22R as it has been out for a while and has been tried, trued and tested...

Did 15.842 kms ,with the BT S20 evo 55serie and love it in corners at trackdays and holiday trips in Germany GREEN HELL
Sadly the New set , MITAS Sportforce + EV is not in 55serie when i in need for new tyres , my friends do 12-16K kms with a set MITAS
Next set will be MITAS Sportforce+EV or R in 55 serie !!!

I use a 190/55 on my busa and I like it. I even used a 200/55 on my ZX-14 and I liked it even more. Turns in quicker and has a larger contact patch which according to science doesn't cause better grip but I think scientific theory and real world application can often be different. I'll trust a larger contact patch over a smaller one.

Any tire with a soft compound is goin to wear out quicker. If grip is what you're after, I wouldn't bother about how long the tire lasts. If performance is what you're after, get a tire tat will lift the rear up a little and has soft compound. Ninety percent of us are going to wear the center down before the sides no matter which tire we choose.

Back