hmmm..

03busa40th

Registered
Will a 180/55/r17 fit on my busa? I think I want to switch to a little less rotating mass on the rear.
rock.gif

180 you will get faster turn in,200 turn in won't be as quick and it will look a little wider..

^^^ thank you for the reply, so im not looking at much more traction to the road surface with a 200vs190 , with my mich pp 190 It took me a little while before I realized that I could get to the edge of the tire and gouge the strat cover into the asphalt
lol1.gif
I think a 180 will do for now , plus I wouldnt mind a little quicker turn in. Not saying that it does not handle great for a heavy bike, because it does. I am not looking to drag it anyway just less rotating mass and mabey a little faster turn in would be a plus.

Don't forget the stock tire is a 190/50 so going to a 55 is what's giving you the quicker results not necessarily the 180-200 (height not width)...
winkold.gif

also, the 55 gives you a higher top end than the 50
beerchug.gif

I ran a set of Pirelli Super Corsa Pros witha 190/55/17 rear.

Pros:

The bike handled great in the corners, turned in nice, and stuck like glue.

Cons:

The bike seemed to accelerate slower, and it raised the rear end a little, pushing me farther into the tank. Also, no longer could I do 2nd gear power wheelies unless I really jerked the bars hard. I never adjusted my rear suspension to accommodate.

Now I am back to the Michelin PP 2CT's 190/50/17 rear.

I bought a 180/55 for mine and while I do like the fact that the bike seems lighter, I will be replacing it with a 190/55 when its due. I find the edge of my tire way too quickly in tight turns unless I move off the bike.

I ran a 180 for a set of tires and frankly I could not tell the difference between that and the 190 (yea I ride like a sissy)

I am back on the 190 however as I saw 2 sets of plastics that got tore up running 180's and running the twisties..

Not a real issue to me but I would rather keep the resale value of my scoot as high as possible.. beat up plastic is not in my best interest..

Figure out what you want out of your tire.

First figure out your tire's profile;
Do you accelerate hard while still leaned over, or when your mostly straight up and down??  While leaned over, 55 profile.  Mostly straight up and down, 50 profile. One way to look at it is where does your tire wear down the most. Down the center or on the sides.

Next your tire's width;
A 180 is cheaper than a 190, but a 190 has a larger contact patch than a 180.  180s are not made in 50, so if you picked 50 profile 180s are out.  200s are not made in 55 profile, so if you picked 55 profile 200s are out.

Next, don't go to a 180 for less rotating mass.  I'm willing to bet a 180/55 conti is heavier than a PP190/50.  Different brands are different weights.  Weight is largely affected by tread depth.  A worn tire weighs less than a new tire.
To reduce rotating mass look at sprocket, brake disc and rims.

If you want to increase turn in, raise the rear an inch with dogbones.  Don't buy a tire to help turn in, buy a tire for grip.  Adjust your chasis for the geometry you want.

Now that all that is out, I accelerate hard while stilled leaned over and I'm willing to pay $25 more.  So I run 190/55.

And yes a 190/55 will increase top speed at the expense of acceleration, not much though.  Going up 1-2 teeth in the rear will bring the top end back down and the accel back up.

Back