Ready to turbo

MN72Busa

Formerly known as "Zuki"
Donating Member
Registered
Well, Burt from 1320 Straightliners has me convinced I can get the Turbo done on my bike myself, and some phone support from him if anything comes-up. So to prep for this job, here's where Im at & would like some input or advice on anything else I should know or be aware of.

-First off, In the morning Im going to run a compression check. My motor seems very tight and pulling 172 Hp at the rear wheel right now on the dyno.

-I have no oil in my airbox, nor in the little nipple on the airbox last time I looked, but will confirm this in the morning.

-No oil on my stacks or behind them last itme i looked.

-Will run compression check in the morning, and also check if my seals are good.

-Planning on a Stage I with Tial 50mm BOV, spacer, HD clutch springs, Burt is gona do a bunch of polishing and coatings for Free, tech support, maps, etc. Next year will upgrade to Intercooler and additional injector, and larger injectors.

- Im running a PC3 usb right now, ek ZZZ chain, steel rear sprocket, might get a wideband unit or LM-1...just have to see where Im at in a few weeks. Muzzy fan, Engine Ice, and will have the temp switch relocated.

Im a little concerned about the Fuel in MN, as most of the state adds 10 to 20% ethanol....should this be a concern?

Im told the turbo will live trouble free with my riding style at 6Lbs boost....that is 10,000 miles a year mostly city driving, with a few long trips each year. Maybe a few high speed bumps only WOT for no more than 30 seconds at a time.

So, I know my list is pretty basic, but am I over looking anything? I would say my mechanical knowledge is at about a 6, or 7 from a 1-10 scale. I have the shop manual from this site Im priniting out, and in no rush to hurry the job. Also, I dont plan on running more than 7Lbs of boost nless I intercool it,and upgrade motor parts. But for now, my motor is going to stay stock with the stage 1...is this also ok...keep in mind Im lowering the compression with the spacer, and will run whatever Octane Burt says I should all the time.

you should be fine on 93 octane with only 6 pounds of boost with a spacer. if you take it to the track or lots of top end stuff put you some good race gas in there. but other than that sounds like burts got ya lined out. jc

If you keep it around 6lbs you should be fine. DO NOT RUN TOP END SPEED RUNS with out water & race gas.

okay dumb question...if your bike is stock......why wouldn't you have oil in your airbox? There should be atleast a little bit....that's the way the bike is designed to work.

Well, Burt from 1320 Straightliners has me convinced I can get the Turbo done on my bike myself, and some phone support from him if anything comes-up. So to prep for this job, here's where Im at & would like some input or advice on anything else I should know or be aware of.

-First off, In the morning Im going to run a compression check. My motor seems very tight and pulling 172 Hp at the rear wheel right now on the dyno.

-I have no oil in my airbox, nor in the little nipple on the airbox last time I looked, but will confirm this in the morning.

-No oil on my stacks or behind them last itme i looked.

-Will run compression check in the morning, and also check if my seals are good.

-Planning on a Stage I with Tial 50mm BOV, spacer, HD clutch springs, Burt is gona do a bunch of polishing and coatings for Free, tech support, maps, etc. Next year will upgrade to Intercooler and additional injector, and larger injectors.

- Im running a PC3 usb right now, ek ZZZ chain, steel rear sprocket, might get a wideband unit or LM-1...just have to see where Im at in a few weeks. Muzzy fan, Engine Ice, and will have the temp switch relocated.

Im a little concerned about the Fuel in MN, as most of the state adds 10 to 20% ethanol....should this be a concern?

Im told the turbo will live trouble free with my riding style at 6Lbs boost....that is 10,000 miles a year mostly city driving, with a few long trips each year. Maybe a few high speed bumps only WOT for no more than 30 seconds at a time.

So, I know my list is pretty basic, but am I over looking anything? I would say my mechanical knowledge is at about a 6, or 7 from a 1-10 scale. I have the shop manual from this site Im priniting out, and in no rush to hurry the job. Also, I dont plan on running more than 7Lbs of boost nless I intercool it,and upgrade motor parts. But for now, my motor is going to stay stock with the stage 1...is this also ok...keep in mind Im lowering the compression with the spacer, and will run whatever Octane Burt says I should all the time.
Tons of stuff here don't seem right to me....

stage one race kit or stage one street kit? Since you say about not building the motor up I am guessing the street kit. So why does such a small kit require such a HUGE wastegate? 50mm wastegate?

Geesh...I remember when much larger turbos ran quite nice with tiny 38mm ones.

second...why run a spacer with only 6 psi? Do you realize the extent of turbo lag you will get but lowering your compression and only running that much boost? Lowered compression + 6psi will = about 220-230 hp.....I got a stage one velocity kit sitting right here right now that's living proof of that.

third if you intercool the bike...run atleast 12 psi (ie: 300hp) to get pas the "lag" senerio

My advice to you....

if you want an intercooled kit.....bypass the wholesaler...

go directly to Mcxpress and buy their plug and play kit and be done with it. They are the originators.....not imitators. They have proven what they build and design.....they don't rehash what they are told by their supplier.

John, do you really need a Turbo? Hmmmm..... I think you should do everything to your Busa before you married...and she cut money supply...
do it right first time... You might have no money when new motor required..
biggrin.gif

Well Im looking at my budget, and looking what I want to do with the bike. Sorta funny to say this, but the whole turbo thing just aint a walk in the park. Lots of reading, talking on the phone, internet research, and getting a basic science lesson in turbo 101. I dont have money to throw out the door, so if I spend 4k or 8k on a turbo, that is not the issue - the issue is building something that works, and fully understanding what Im buying, building, and tuning so I just dont toss my cash out the door because I was an uneducated idiot.

Maybe easy for guys who have done a few of these projects, but for a guy just getting into the turbo scene...it is quite a lesson, and I have more time than money - so I don't mind leaning.

I have a buddy with a Stage 2 Velocity that has been in the shop for over a year....I dont want those kind of issues. I was considering a spacer to lower compression to make things more reliable. Do I need to run a spacer...nope. Would I be better off considering other options...most likely, but Im still learning here about everything that is involved to do a turbo correctly...If I wanted to just do a turbo I would have done it, and most likely blown my engine by now due to my own lack of knowledge.

I cant carry a tuner around in my back pocket, and the shops around here are either very spendy (Like $500 for a frickin map for an exhaust setup) or they are cheap but from what Ive been told, and seen very unreliable. So I need to educate myself...and in asking questions and not fully understanding something - things are bound to sometimes not make sense.

Why a turbo - simple - to impress myself...thats all. No drag racing for this guy, not my thing. I was planning on Bonnie this september, and might be fun to have a turbo for there, but maybe next year is more of a reality. Anyhow, if you dont like my reasons for a turbo - pisss off, because I aint shooting it up my veins, snorting it, or not feeding a family because of a silly dream & even if I was its none of anyone's business...lol - I dont question why someone uses Nitrous on the street, or chromes every last bolt. I dont question a person buying a BUsa who doesnt even know how to change their own oil, or gap a plug.

I will say Burt, and S4L have been straight shooters with me about all of this and thats pretty refreshing, because Ive talked to a few others so full of b.s. they should be in the ferterlizer business.

Heck, maybe I wont turbo, maybe bigbore....just not sure yet..Im still in the phase of researching, learning, and absorbing facts and knowledge from the people in the know.

<!--EDIT|valium
Reason for Edit: None given...|1150487682 -->

Why a turbo - simple - to impress myself...thats all. No drag racing for this guy, not my thing. .
I`ve been told that You pulling wheelie all the time and there is some kind of competition who can do it longer...

Stop BS general population here at the org.. after all you are not in fertilizer business, leave it to professionals...

tounge.gif

<!--EDIT|Vic_E55_2001
Reason for Edit: None given...|1150489272 -->

Why a turbo - simple - to impress myself...thats all. No drag racing for this guy, not my thing. .
I`ve been told that You pulling wheelie all the time and there is some kind of competition who can do it longer...

Stop BS general population here at the org.. after all you are not in fertilizer business, leave it to professionals...

tounge.gif
Vic, as I sit here typing this response to you, and eating Butter Toffee Peanuts & sipping some Dasani with lemon, a thought comes to mind

<span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'>поцелуйте мою задницу</span>

laugh.gif
brave.gif

<!--EDIT|valium
Reason for Edit: None given...|1150489774 -->

tounge.gif
Vic, as I sit here typing this response to you, and eating Butter Toffee Peanuts & sipping some Dasani with lemon, a thought comes to mind

<span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'>ïîöåëóéòå ìîþ çàäíèöó</span>

laugh.gif

brave.gif
Weird....
biggrin.gif

It sounds so weird in Russian...

but thank You!

Valium ... I was in the same boat last year as you are now. I'm not a techy and didn't know squat about turbo's except that I wanted one. Gary (S4L) was the first person I contacted after I did some reading/research on my own. (Lots of other people helped me too) He definitely steered me in the right direction. He is an experienced guy with a wealth of knowledge. I've heard great things about Burt too, so you're doing the right thing by talking to the folks in the know. I'd say keep on talking to as many people as possible before making your decision. Knowledge is power. I ended up paying extra to have my kit installed and tuned by a professional. I'm also a street rider only, but I like it so much that I'm getting my second bike boosted too!!

Valium ... I was in the same boat last year as you are now. I'm not a techy and didn't know squat about turbo's except that I wanted one. Gary (S4L) was the first person I contacted after I did some reading/research on my own. (Lots of other people helped me too) He definitely steered me in the right direction. He is an experienced guy with a wealth of knowledge. I've heard great things about Burt too, so you're doing the right thing by talking to the folks in the know. I'd say keep on talking to as many people as possible before making your decision. Knowledge is power. I ended up paying extra to have my kit installed and tuned by a professional. I'm also a street rider only, but I like it so much that I'm getting my second bike boosted too!!
A street rider with way too much $$$
biggrin.gif

Ok new here but been around SH.org for a while and had to respond.

Kit looks a lot like Motorheads stuff. Not too familliar with Burt or 1320straightliners, but it looks like they are reselling the ghetto kits. If I'm wrong on that please let me know.

Anyway, I just got done with my ghetto stg1 install and I must say this thing is great. I had a Hahn kit on a 2000 that I sold and it is no comparison. Quality parts, excellent fit and finish, and the base map provided is VERY close to perfect. My Hahn kit was so far off that it took about a month just to get the off boost drivability where it should be. And that was after getting it tuned. Ghetto stg1 comes with a 7.5lb spring and that is OK for stock compression UNLESS you plan on doing a lot of top speed WOT stuff. If that's your plan get an intercooler. Lower charge temps are your friend. Motorhead also has a upgraded stage one kit with intercooler in the works for around $5200 and from the sounds of your last post that might be the kit for you. If you have the cash and don't plan on upgrades in the future, get the mcxpress. Great kit, good HP and tq and it comes with secondaries and an intercooler. But if you want to make more power in the future, go with the ghetto. It's upgradable and the turbo is capable of a bit more HP than the mcxpress kit.

Just my .02

Sage - your input is always appreciated and respected. Didn't you post a few pics of your bike on its way to TMH a week or 2 back?

Im really liking the intercooler idea. Still doing lots of reading, but have been so busy working I havent had much time to actually do anything more than that.

Burt offers some real nice features with his kit...or should I say extras. I will keep everyone posted on what happens and what kit I end up getting.

Jailer

Hey, thanks for taking the time to post up and give a little input my way.

As far as upgrading in the future, I dont know if I ever would, but seems like the guys on sh.org are upgrading withn a year of their initial purchase...so maybe the Turbo-Bug is addicting, but hard to imagine 250 to 300 hp not enough...lol

I think one of the difference's between Burt's and TMH's system is the plenum design. I think Burt can better explain this.

Back