Rattling Sound with My Brock's Alien Head Slip-ons

Take off the brock can and shake it around. Maybe something loose internally?

Any chance the brocks name tag has been removed and replaced? They are riveted on and of you drill out the rivet the head will be caught by the packing and sit in there and rattle. Don't ask me how I know :(

i am sure you need gaskets going from the header to the brocks pipe. Those gaskets you see inside your stock pipe should be at the end of the header. I garrantee you that is your rattle.

Just got off the phone with Brock's support. They said I should try a few things, some which have been mentioned:

* Make sure it's not the rivets for the logo
* Check the rivets for the baffles
* Try swapping the two interconnecting pipes, if that even works (regarding the gap between the center piece and the exhaust)

So, gonna try to do that this evening and see if any of those are potential culprits ...

An exhaust leak can also cause a rattling sound. Spray some soapy water around your connections while the bike is running and look for bubbles.

Ok, so I should remove those gaskets from the inside of the stock pipes, insert them into the brocks pipes, and give that a shot?

What did the install sheet from Brock's say about the gaskets? Usually not a good idea to reuse those gaskets as they are the "crush" type.

What did the install sheet from Brock's say about the gaskets? Usually not a good idea to reuse those gaskets as they are the "crush" type.

Brock's said no gaskets were required. I asked both times I called and got the same answer - it appears they should just install right over the exhaust. Which explains the "snug" fit but would also explain the potential for an exhaust leak, maybe?

Well, as suspected, I can't swap the inner pieces due to the spring connectors. Rivets seem ok although it appears the actual emblem peices themselves sort of sit lose. If I tap on them they feel like they're not guite snug against the exhaust. Brock's is not open for support at the moment so gonna have to try calling them again in the morning. Sigh,... so frustrating. Haven't driven the bike since I installed them because I can't stand the sound of the rattle - sucks more because the actual sound of the exhaust sounds so good :( I might just have to return them and try something else ....

Crank the bike and grab the muffler(s), pipes, headers, and anywhere else you suspect the rattle.
You should be able to make it stop just by holding on to it, unless the noise is inside the muffler.
That should make it easier to find.:beerchug:

I'm gonna put the stock pipes back on just to make sure the rattle goes away and then probably just send back the Brock's :(. Sucks cause I love them otherwise. Just don't think I should have this much of a headache with them.

I tried one more thing last night but won't know until today if it worked - seems to have made a little bit of difference just running it in the garage. I put the pipes on and noticed that the right side piece that connects to the exhaust was no longer meeting up flush like it was before. So it took off both sides, took apart the two pieces of each side, installed the first pieces so that each met flush with the exhaust and then installed the actual exhaust. Now both sides are flush with the exhaust like I would have expected. I'll take it for a test run later this afternoon and see what we get ....

Well... no luck... :( Gonna take the pipes off tomorrow and put back the stock pipes for now. Let's see what it takes to return these to Brock's :(

Don't give up on them yet, return them to brock and try another set, problem more than likely solved. Its something loose inside the can, a new set will fix it :thumbsup:

Got an RMA to return them, they'll try them on an '08 Busa they have there to see if they can replicate the issue. In the meantime I'm going back to my stock pipes and decide whether I want to try something else or not. I'm guessing it's either something loose or there is an exhaust leak where these meet the actual exhaust. I'm still wondering why these wouldn't have some form of gasket and/or clamps. Looked at the Yoshi slip-ons and they seem to have a process for tighting up this connection with clamps.

It depends what you like the look and sound of. For slip-ons none are going to give any real power gains, so its all about preference. Yoshi's are WAY quieter than the alienheads, so if you want slips with a bark skip the yoshi's......anything else period will be louder than yoshi's. I like the yoshi sound myself, nice mellow sound at idle and cruising, but still snarls pretty good on hard throttle. Most guys need more sound tho :laugh:

Brock's has my pipes - they're gonna test them on one of their bikes to see if they can replicate the issue .... we'll see where that takes us ....

Brock's was unable to reproduce the issue - just decided to get my money back.... sucks .... But, at least they were responsive, great customer service, in my opinion.

Back