Ram air intercooler

jermzfree

Registered
I would love to have an intercooler like this one in my bike! I am building a streetable 6psi set up, but want an intercooler to make it as safe as possible. I take my bike on cross country trips and would like to have the peace of mind to open her up on long streatches. Does anybody know where I could get an under the gas tank intercooler built? Or does anybody have one they would like to sell?? I know that rcc offers one for $2300 which is a bit too much for me to spend.

COOLER.JPG

That one pictured will not work well
putting the air into one end of the plenum realy upsets the cyl filling
Work much better like this
gen1plenum002.jpg

gen1plenum001.jpg

For 6 psi you don't realy need an intercooler, your not creating enough heat to make it worthwhile
beyond 10 yes your going to see some gains

Yep not as good as a front mount , or water/air
but with the ram air and above radiator air ducted and the intercooler sealed to the tank, they work ok
I had great use of the one pictured running 12 psi for several yrs before converting to water/air

That first one is like heating the rooms down a hallway.. the first room will always be the warmest and so on till the end of the hallway. The builder of that one must not have ever lived in a place bigger than 1 room.. :rofl:

That one pictured will not work well
putting the air into one end of the plenum realy upsets the cyl filling
Work much better like this
gen1plenum002.jpg

gen1plenum001.jpg

For 6 psi you don't realy need an intercooler, your not creating enough heat to make it worthwhile
beyond 10 yes your going to see some gains

True, 6 psi will not heat the air enough to cause any problems, but isn't there a point where wide open throttle long enough will cause radiant heat from the turbo to pass to the cold side, and heat the air much more? This is all second hand knowledge so don't quote me on any of this.

Below the tank the only efficient solution is air-liquid.
That was in 2011, the biggest core which i can get from bell, the rest
of the parts from MCX and a welder who have to get some more
training in aluminium...hehehe

My opinion ist still, that the water have to flow vertical,
not horizontal, that there is the same temperatur over the whole
width. About this i make two waterciruits and each in seven sections.
280 $ at bell, 3000 SEK at MCX for single parts, so round about €600 for
parts and 7 hours time on the lathe, milling machine, cutting and banding plates
and get the stuff to the welder.

IMG_05611.jpg

IMG_05621.jpg

IMG_05631.jpg

Once sealed to the tank and sides it can only go through the fins , even the up pipe ram air gets something passes the up pipe , and there is good flow above the radiator if a shroud is made to direct that air too
like i said i ran it for several yrs and kept improving the setup

Max has a nice Water/air unit, i made my first water/air with vertical water movement , but changed to side tanks on later , just need a good water flow and there is very little temp gradient acoss the core

I am a HVAC master tech, better yet have supercharged/ turbo cars, all i can say is those intercoolers, while maybe looking nice, are MUCH to thick, dont have any real airflow passing over them, once heatsoaked will be useless.
there is a reason why the thin front mount intercoolers are so expensive, meth will work much better, than those thick radiators.

True, 6 psi will not heat the air enough to cause any problems, but isn't there a point where wide open throttle long enough will cause radiant heat from the turbo to pass to the cold side, and heat the air much more? This is all second hand knowledge so don't quote me on any of this.

I am a HVAC master tech, and although different, the principle remains the same, you must have air passing over the coil, to dissipate the heat if there isnt enough air its just going to boil.
I have supercharged/ turbo cars, all i can say in my experience with my high hosepower cars is that, those intercoolers, while maybe looking nice, are MUCH to thick, dont have any real airflow passing over them, once heatsoaked will be useless.
There is a reason why the thin front mount intercoolers are so expensive, meth will work much better, than those thick radiators.

If i do decide to further cool my turbo setup, it will be both frontmount and meth, I have a paxton kit that will be going on my dodge viper(these cars run HOT n/a), and spent months talking with the best tuners. seeing different setups etc, the cooling that I went with, that was most proven, was a front mount that was 2 inches thick, but has a large surface area, and meth to put the icing on the cake.
bikes are no different, that is my experience with FI motors and it has worked the best for me.

as with my bike I just upgraded to the latest and greatest gt30r dbb turbo, I had an older t28 that i never has a single problem with when it can to heat, i do have a bypass fan control on the bike now, and if i have heat problems with my setup, ill go with meth first than a front mount.
People underestimate how great meth is.

Procharged 92 fox owner, buick grand national owner, the kit for my viper goes on next summer, my busa is in the shop right now and will be fitted with meth and a front mount, or maybe just meth as the motor is built to the hilt, only thing that wasnt changed was displacement and cams.

I am a HVAC master tech, and although different, the principle remains the same, you must have air passing over the coil, to dissipate the heat if there isnt enough air its just going to boil.
I have supercharged/ turbo cars, all i can say in my experience with my high hosepower cars is that, those intercoolers, while maybe looking nice, are MUCH to thick, dont have any real airflow passing over them, once heatsoaked will be useless.
There is a reason why the thin front mount intercoolers are so expensive, meth will work much better, than those thick radiators.

If i do decide to further cool my turbo setup, it will be both frontmount and meth, I have a paxton kit that will be going on my dodge viper(these cars run HOT n/a), and spent months talking with the best tuners. seeing different setups etc, the cooling that I went with, that was most proven, was a front mount that was 2 inches thick, but has a large surface area, and meth to put the icing on the cake.
bikes are no different, that is my experience with FI motors and it has worked the best for me.

as with my bike I just upgraded to the latest and greatest gt30r dbb turbo, I had an older t28 that i never has a single problem with when it can to heat, i do have a bypass fan control on the bike now, and if i have heat problems with my setup, ill go with meth first than a front mount.
People underestimate how great meth is.

Procharged 92 fox owner, buick grand national owner, the kit for my viper goes on next summer, my busa is in the shop right now and will be fitted with meth and a front mount, or maybe just meth as the motor is built to the hilt, only thing that wasnt changed was displacement and cams.

Pics of viper :drool: or :ban:

Back